·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

A day in the life of the burger model.

by Liv | Published on May 23rd, 2009, 4:57 pm | Food
Well one of my many projects is coming to an end... (Thank Ra!) I mean, what started out as a personal journey to preserve recipes for my kids has turned into a huge ordeal and almost two years of writing, editing and publishing. I can at least see the end of the tunnel now. The "new" (and top-secret) title has been confirmed. I worked on the cover almost all day today, not to mention the cooking and staging for shooting. Then the photoshopping, and yada, yada, yada.....

I think I'm going to go take a break now.... Hopefully I should have this thing finished in the next month or so!

The good thing, is at least you can eat your mistakes when you're writing a cookbook:

chili_burger_take_1.jpg

chili_burger_take_2.jpg

chili_burger_take_3.jpg

Of course those were some of the good ones.... Had about 20 that looked like this:
chili_burger_take_4.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy... they turned out well... though we'll have to wait and see how it looks on the gloss cover.

What is that???? How do you eat it? (Assuming your mouth doesn't open to the width of a great white shark's mouth).
May 24th, 2009, 8:50 pm
Questioner

Oh it's so good.... It was mammoth....

Double Chili Cheese Burger with a fried egg on top!

And yes, it's low-fat!!!! Believe it or not!
May 24th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

We were in Burlington today... hit a few outlets and drove past Adam and Eve's as well as Sam's (yeah obviously if we drove past A&E)... thought of you, thought of this thread... gawd i don't has cheezburger... :cry:
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
May 24th, 2009, 9:15 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Yeah we still need to get together some time....

Scratch that... I think we need a greensboring night.... We need a place with good booze, and a karaoke machine....

Of course I'd have to find a baby sitter then...

Unless we party at my place....

Anyone got a karaoke machine?
May 25th, 2009, 8:28 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Yeah we still need to get together some time....

Scratch that... I think we need a greensboring night.... We need a place with good booze, and a karaoke machine....

Of course I'd have to find a baby sitter then...

Unless we party at my place....

Anyone got a karaoke machine?

We can use my church facilities. We even have a place for the kids! I can line up the hymnal music and Liv can bring the cheeseburgers.

:D
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
May 25th, 2009, 2:32 pm
BecauseHeLives

Got good booze?
May 25th, 2009, 2:41 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Got good booze?

We use grape juice. But if you get in the right spirit you won't know the difference.
May 25th, 2009, 2:47 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:We use grape juice. But if you get in the right spirit you won't know the difference.

How can you get in the right spirit on grape juice? Even Jesus knew that you can't have a good party without booze

John 2:1-10 And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there. And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins* apiece. Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it. When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

*Overheard at the party "Hey Jeeeeeeezus, how much wine didya make?" "Two firking much, judging by the state of you"
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
May 25th, 2009, 3:00 pm
A Person

Liv wrote:Oh it's so good.... It was mammoth....

Double Chili Cheese Burger with a fried egg on top!

And yes, it's low-fat!!!! Believe it or not!

But HOW can you eat that? I'm completely at a loss. All I can figure is to grab a knife and fork and cut off pieces, sort of like cutting a pie. By the way, how can it be low fat with all that cheese and a fried egg to boot?
May 26th, 2009, 4:13 pm
Questioner

Well, a) I have been at the the extreme end of the evolutionary scale in how my mouth was designed.... in other words I have a big mouth.

As far as it being low-fat, it's mainly in the products I use. The egg was the one thing I wanted on there to give it an international flare.... it's also very, very good...

But here's how it stacks up:

2 patties of 94/6 beef at 4.5 grams of fat per serving. Actually my patties usually come in less than 4oz, but for the average person let's say they're 1/4 lb patties.

1 fried egg cooked with non-fat cooking spray. 5g

The cheese is Borden's fat-free... which is out of this world: 0g

the chili uses the same 94/6 and is about about 2oz worth on the burger: 2.5g fat

1.5g for the bun which can be less if you use various brands.

Tomato, onion and mustard: 0g fat

For a grand total of 18g of fat.

Compared to Hardee's Chili thickburger which weighs in at 60g of fat or even the fast food industry benchmark of the Big Mac at 29 grams it's much better.

Of course this was the first time I made a burger of this size, and in was only for the cover of the book. Normally I'll do a single patty of about 2oz of meat without the egg. In fact it was the first time that I can recollect using a fried egg on a cheeseburger... and gosh it was good!
May 26th, 2009, 5:14 pm
Liv

This burger looks yummy!

Though I'll probably try it with more fat - use a non-fat-free cheese like Swiss - and maybe add bacon. But it's the very lean beef burger that makes it healthier. Burger joints definitely do not use the highest quality beef... it may be 100% beef but then the fat content of their beef is higher because it's cheaper beef.

And A. Person and BecauseHeLives - please call a truce on this! You can have a good party with and without booze. If the company is lame, booze definitely helps, especially in my case because I get hilarious when drunk. I don't drink anymore for medical reasons (would mess with my medications badly) and yes I do like wine and a good Scotch whisky - but I have been to parties and not had a drop to drink and had a good time.
May 26th, 2009, 9:44 pm
mwooldri

Liv wrote:Well, a) I have been at the the extreme end of the evolutionary scale in how my mouth was designed.... in other words I have a big mouth.

As far as it being low-fat, it's mainly in the products I use. The egg was the one thing I wanted on there to give it an international flare.... it's also very, very good...

But here's how it stacks up:

2 patties of 94/6 beef at 4.5 grams of fat per serving. Actually my patties usually come in less than 4oz, but for the average person let's say they're 1/4 lb patties.
1 fried egg cooked with non-fat cooking spray. 5g
The cheese is Borden's fat-free... which is out of this world: 0g
the chili uses the same 94/6 and is about about 2oz worth on the burger: 2.5g fat
1.5g for the bun which can be less if you use various brands.
Tomato, onion and mustard: 0g fat

For a grand total of 18g of fat.

Compared to Hardee's Chili thickburger which weighs in at 60g of fat or even the fast food industry benchmark of the Big Mac at 29 grams it's much better.

Of course this was the first time I made a burger of this size, and in was only for the cover of the book. Normally I'll do a single patty of about 2oz of meat without the egg. In fact it was the first time that I can recollect using a fried egg on a cheeseburger... and gosh it was good!

Thanks for the detail. You are lucky to have a decent sized mouth. Mine is abnormally small, which is a problem because all my teeth didn't fit, so they had to pull some back ones when I was young. I would have more than a bit of trouble trying to bite into that monster-burger.
May 28th, 2009, 12:32 pm
Questioner

Questioner wrote:What is that???? How do you eat it? (Assuming your mouth doesn't open to the width of a great white shark's mouth).

lol
Liv wrote:Well, a)

Wow thats a lot of cholesterol, fat and the all things that tastes so good :mrgreen: I suggest we can put all of them in a bowl and mix it up and eat it..so we will not have the problem of eating it with a big mouth
May 31st, 2009, 3:02 am
daany

daany wrote:...Wow thats a lot of cholesterol, fat and the all things that tastes so good :mrgreen: I suggest we can put all of them in a bowl and mix it up and eat it..so we will not have the problem of eating it with a big mouth

LOL! I remember a quote from Erma Bombeck: "I thought fats were the things God put in food to make it taste good."
May 31st, 2009, 9:34 pm
Questioner

Return to Food