·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

What-A-Burger Greensboro aka The Church Street Drive-in.

by Liv | Published on June 4th, 2009, 6:23 pm | Food
whataburger.jpg

(image via edcone.com)

Several years ago, Ed posted a picture by Lisa of What-a-burger. My response was like, "Greensboro has a What-A-Burger?" Ed's response.... "Yes. No. Well, sort of."

See I was thinking this:
center_piece.jpg

See there's some sort of secret conspiracy going on. The place is called What-A-Burger, and everyone knows it by that name. Their menu is strikingly similar in composition the the official version, but if you Google, or GPS the place it doesn't exist. That's because its legal entity name (which I can only assume was chosen so Whataburger corporate lawyers don't shut them down) is Church Street Drive-In. (or Inn in some listings, which further confuses me.) I truly would love to hear how they still avoid litigation all these years or if there is some other connection in it.

Anyhow, I had all but forgotten about the place. It's out in the middle of nowhere. Then I'm driving back from an appointment over on Battleground today when I hit the food button on the GPS. (Liv was Hungee!!!!) Up comes Church Street Drive-in, and I think to myself "I always meant to get there, but never did." (well, that and my ex-employer had me strapped to a cubical with duct tape) So I went. It was an experience unlike any I ever had before. I unfortunately didn't have the digital camera so I'll make due the best I can with my colorful writing.

what-a-burger_greensboro.jpg

Basically What-A-Burger (slash Church-Street-Drive-In-Burger) is located about 4 miles north of downtown in a residential neighborhood. Located in a 50 year old cement block building with a painted burger on its aged front window, and a stenciled and faded "take-out" paint job on the side. The most likely reason for Whataburger, Inc. hasn't sued this covert little Greensboro establishment; is the fact they probably couldn't find the place. I think the News and Record said it best when they wrote "As a work of breathtaking architecture it makes the dingy Beef Burger look like the Sistine Chapel".

We showed up and pulled in to the postage stamp parking lot, and walked in to what can only be described as a grandma's kitchen. Elvis is on the wall, wood floors reminiscant from a high-school gym floor, vinyl covered swivel stools, early 80's ceiling fan's and a humming window A/C unit which is permanently installed above the smoking tables with ashtrays and pitchers of sweet tea. We walked in and sat down. Out came a middle-aged woman with Dolly Parton bright makeup to take our order. Behind the lunch counter is a tatooed young man flipping burgers. My first impression is "Places like this don't really exist outside of a Hollywood movie do they?" I then replied to myself.... "Yes they do Liv... Yes they do! ...but only in Greensboro..." So the menu is pretty much how you would expect a "real" Whataburger. You've got singles, doubles, What-A-Burger's with bacon, with cheese, etcetera and so on. If you order the "plate" you get a airplane style salad consisting of lettuce, tomatoes and dressing in a little disposable plastic bowl. The fries are crinkle cut like your high-school cafeteria: deep fried, and golden brown. The mayonaise is real, and rich, the food is like Baptist church's all-you-can-eat burger fundraiser.

For the record, Whataburger, as in "the chain" is by far better. I found no chili on the menu at this copycat, which is surprising since every burger franchise locally does chili, but this place does fit a niche and its doppleganger's DNA precisely. It's a greasy spoon with a surreal atmosphere that might just give your family the giggles if they come to town and you take them there. More to the point the food is cooked old school, just like you might at your house.... and that's the verdict. If your into a burger which seems to have been lost in time, something like you might find at a 50's diner in your favorite Hollywood movie, then this is the real deal. If you're wanting the best burger in town, something quasi healthy, or have developed a taste bud beyond mediocrity then this is not where you want to go. It's another options for people who think they've exhausted all their options, but obey the surgeon general's warning clearly posted on the door.

Church Street Drive-In /
    What-A-Burger

3434 N Church St
    Greensboro, NC 27405
    (336) 621-2682

map

Cost: $7.50, (Whataburger with Cheese, Fries, Salad & Drink) + Tip = $9.00 P.P.

Okay... so basically, I should put my what-a-church-street-not-quite-a-burger money into my gas tank and hit Johnson's in Siler City, yes?

I had a cheezburger yesterday. McDonald's Happy Meal. I tried to pretend it was Johnson's or even one of the kick ass burgers my dad used to make on the grill. It's easier to pretend carrot sticks are Twix!

'dippy needs a real cheezburger... soon...
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
June 4th, 2009, 10:41 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Well it's like.... You go to Disney, and ride the teacups at least once.... but after that you never do it again. I'm not saying others might not find this place stellar, (some comments on Ed's post indicate an infatuation) but for me personally there is no comparison between Johnson's and Whataburger. Johnson's devastates all, hands down.
I'd still put Beef/Biff Burger, Country BBQ's cheeseburger, and Fincastles out in front of this place.... BUT... if you're bored, in the area, and want some unusual surroundings with a greasy burger.... then look no further.
June 4th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I have fond memories of Whataburger Wednesday, but I guess that was when I lived in Texas
June 5th, 2009, 2:49 pm
smiler125

Ahhhh. Whataburger. The Texas one I mean. Just moved here from Houston. For the record, Lankford Grocer in Montrose, Houston, is the best burger I've had. Ever. Whataburger is a damn fine chain burger however. You cant beat the justaburger for a buck, or the chicken tender box with gravy, a slice of texas toast, and crispy golden brown fries piled high.

Now, although it is the only burger I've had here, the Carolina Style Burger from Cook Out is a much better burger than anything whataburger can produce. The patties apear to be of the hand-formed never been frozen variety. And judging from the smoke that was billowing from the exhaust vent on the roof as well as the chared crispy little bits on outside of the patty I would also venture to say it is cooked over some sort of gas fired open flame. The milk shake variety is top notch and the sides! I mean really, corn dogs, chilli, onion rings, chicken nuggets, french fries, the variety is endless. For five bucks you get a burger, topped the way you want, 2 of the aforementioned sides, and a massive drink. You say Whataburger, I say what a deal!

If anyone has a better burger please put it on this thread. I would love to try it. Now if only yall Carolina boys could figure out how to bbq.
June 5th, 2009, 3:56 pm
s87136h

s87136h wrote:If anyone has a better burger please put it on this thread. I would love to try it. Now if only yall Carolina boys could figure out how to bbq.

30 minute drive, but best burger on the East Coast. You'll sell your kidney for this beef:
Johnson's Drive In
June 5th, 2009, 5:11 pm
Liv

There was another What-A-Burger on Randleman Rd (near Hwy 40) back in the 60's. They served burgers dipped in a tomato/onion sauce. I can remember my father taking us there at least once a week. Thats another taste from childhood that will never be recaptured. snif
April 7th, 2010, 4:09 am
PLewallen

PLewallen wrote:There was another What-A-Burger on Randleman Rd (near Hwy 40) back in the 60's. They served burgers dipped in a tomato/onion sauce. I can remember my father taking us there at least once a week. Thats another taste from childhood that will never be recaptured. snif

Dipped? My god!

Okay... anyone who choose the name "What-A-Burger" as a burger restaurant name and isn't actually apart of the franchise has to have the most lackluster imagination ever.
April 9th, 2010, 4:18 am
Liv

This is what my daddy had ordered for his deathbed wish. Just a good working class kind of man, a good man that respected those who work hard and those who respected him. You guys need to get a life. Just because it is not for you doesn't mean it isn't a great place with good food and folks. This is how these guys make a living. Somethings aren't always about food. Sometimes it is just about the memories of going there and sitting on the stools with your daddy and that is enough for me. Your loss.
August 7th, 2010, 11:21 am
Death Bed Wish

This idiot with Liv clearly doesn't know franchise law and also must be unaware of another What-A-Burger franchise based out of the Concord/Kannapolis NC area. Church Street Drive In has never claimed the name What-A-Burger but does sell burgers called What-A-Burgers. The owners clearly have no control over what people choose to call the place. As far as being a dump in a 50 year old building, did you happen to notice the health grade? It's consistently 100 or above. I've been in many restaurants in new buildings with a much lower health inspection grade. Chili is also offered on any sandwich so apparently you have reading difficulties further evidenced by your confusion of the spelling of IN and INN. It's just like to and too. Some people use the wrong spelling occasionally but its really no big deal. Instead of attacking and accusing a good, decent, hardworking woman trying to make a living in today's world of some sort of secret conspiracy to use the What-A-Burger name illegally why don't you just go somewhere else to eat because the loyal customers of Church Street Drive In (Inn) (Didn't want to confuse you), don't want people like you in there anyway. You give the impression you are better than others and like to put down others who have different tastes. Such as your reference to the Elvis pictures and decor of the interior. Also your insulting comment about the waitress was rude and probably would hurt her feelings and again it shows your superior attitude towards others. You probably think you look good and stylish but theres a real good chance there are others that think different and are saying comments about you just like you are about others. Everbody is different and thats their right, wouldn't the world be boring if everyone were the same? :violin:
August 13th, 2010, 8:57 pm
Tricky1961

For Liv: I know a little of the history of the NC Whataburger chain. It was started in Concord NC in the late 1950's by a restaurateur who had visited an early left coast McDonald's and tried to copy it. It was hugely successful. So much so that several new Whataburgers were built in the surrounding counties and franchise Whataburgers were established in both NC and SC. I worked in one of those franchises as a teenager.

Most Whataburgers (perhaps all of them) featured curb service by locally hired teenage boys. It was a fun job and it bought my first car, a bright Candyapple red 55 Chevy with a Corvette motor, Duntov Cam and a four speed!

The logo of the Carolina's Whataburgers included a model T Ford with hamburger wheels that rotated on the sign. The signs today are highly prized by collectors. A lighted outdoor sign with working rotating hamburger wheels recently sold for nearly 5K at an auction in Concord, NC.

There were several Whataburgers in Charlotte with the largest one on Independence near what is now Cricket Arena (soon to be Bojangles Coliseum). The Whataburger there outsold all of the national chains except McDonald's and threatened the popularity of a Charlotte institution, South 21 Curb restarant.

The Whataburger sandwich was a great deal in it's time period. It was a larger burger and larger bun than McDonald's or Burger King and it was much cheaper! It came standard either as a "yankee" with mayo, lettuce and tomato, optional onion; "regular" with mustard, ketchup, slaw or relish, Whataburger sauce, onion optional; or "western" with chilli, onion and Whataburger sauce.

Many people loved Whataburger Onion Rings and would drive great distances for them. The restaurants also sold great homemade icecream and some sold "plate lunches" if they had inside seating.

I believe Whataburger of the Carolinas was established before the ones in the Southwest.

There is no relation between or intended similarity between the Carolinas Whataburger and those elsewhere.

Overzealous expansion, fierce national fast food competition and the recession of the Carter years proved the undoing of the franchises. I believe that there are only 2 Whataburgers left, both in Cabarrus County, NC.

(Retrieved from city-data.com)

[+] Rate this post positively
Last edited by General Ambivalence; 12-15-2008 at 07:23 AM..

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-ca ... z0wXkjIpXa
August 13th, 2010, 9:30 pm
Tricky1961

Tricky1961 wrote:Everbody is different and thats their right, wouldn't the world be boring if everyone were the same? :violin:

Well if they were all like me.... no... we'd have a crackin time... me and my millions of dopplegangers.
August 13th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Liv

Return to Food