·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

MARS bar Muffin Recipe

by Liv | Published on June 18th, 2009, 6:23 pm | Food
mars_muffin.jpg

I know it has been a while since I put out a truly unique, full fat-recipe.... due in part to the book, and among other things.... me trying to lose weight.... but I had to make these... had to.... and so, without further ado, I'm back.... with a unique Mars Bar Muffin Recipe.

What is a Mars Bar Muffin? I've mentioned it before online. They're commonplace in the U.K. as the Brits have some odd food fetish with Mars Bars. The moment I landed this last time, I made a direct exit from the plane door and into a confectionery store for my long missed Mars Muffin. It's a chocolate, carmel, nuggety muffin made with all the flavors of the traditional Mars bar, and topped in milk chocolate... It's a win, win... for anyone who has a fondness of either muffins or chocolate, or both together.

There's one itty, bitty problem with making Mars bars muffins while geographically located in North Carolina: Since you can't technically buy Mars bars anymore, and more importantly, even if you could.... the American version isn't the European version.... how do you make Mars Muffins? Option "one" involves a 7.5 hour flight to Heathrow, then back again.... which of course I'd gladly do, except for the absorbent amount of money involved.... or option "B" use Milky Way.

Let me tell you... This is about as on the mark as you can get in copy cat recipes.... except these are better, because you can eat them warm right out of the oven.... So until my work visa comes through, I shall share my lovely, anglophile Mars Bar Muffin Recipe so that you to can enjoy the joys and wonders of my favorite across the pond treat.

marmuffinfleet.jpg

Mars Muffin Recipe:
    ingredients_for_mars_muffins.jpg

Ingredients:
    8 Fun Size Mars Bars (MilkyWay in the U.S.) 4.62oz
    7 oz of dipping chocolate. (I used Baker's microwavable)

2½ cups of all-purpose Flour
    1¼ teaspoon baking powder
    2 cups sugar
    ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
    ¾ teaspoon of salt
    1½ sticks softened butter
    1 cup of non-fat buttermilk
    2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
    non-fat cooking spray
    1 cup of egg white substitute
    1/2 cup of "Dutch" dark chocolate cocoa

Method:
    mars_bars_in_bowl.jpg

1) So cut up the candy bars into chunks (about 1/8)
    2) Mix with sugar, (sifted) flour, baking soda, powder, butter, vanilla, buttermilk, cocoa & vanilla.
    mars_mix.jpg

3) Mix with electric mixer well, then pour into cupcake pan sprayed with non-fat spray.
    4) Bake for approx 25 minutes at 350F in preheated oven.
    mars_muffins_after_baked_in_oven.jpg

5) Allow to cool, then dip muffin-tops into melted chocolate
    the_beautiful_mars_bar_muffin.jpg

Liv, why do you use an egg white replacement in this recipe? It's not to make the recipe vegan as you do use butter and buttermilk. :?:

I think it looks like something I might just have to make for the 4th of July pool party!
"Those who embrace the deity of Christ rather than the morals of Christ are not religious…they are pseudo-religious and dangerous to our national interests.”
- Thomas Jefferson
June 20th, 2009, 12:20 am
C. Alice

Well, most of all our cooking in the house is done "low fat" so it's much more common for me to have egg substiute on hand.... though I'm certain you could use regular eggs and it would come out just fine....

Same thing on the butter.... we use a "light" version....

I didn't feel that this was a "low-fat" recipe because of the candy bars, and the dipped in chocolate part.... but if you make it how I do, it's still much lower fat then using the full fat stuff....
June 20th, 2009, 9:20 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Made Snickers versions of this recipe by leaving out the coca in the batter and using snicker bars crumbled up...

snikers_muffins.jpg

snickers_muffins_2.jpg

I also didn't have any baking chocolate on hand so I used so Hot_Fudge.... oh man was it good!
July 10th, 2009, 2:04 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Didn't the original have a caramel filling?
September 13th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Ron

I thought I was the only North Carolinian addicted to those wonderful Mars Bars that you can get at Tesco or Tesco Express! Next time I am there, I'll let you know and bring home an extra dozen for you!
November 30th, 2009, 10:55 pm
I love Mars Bars Muffins

Return to Food