·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Hunt Brothers Pizza Sucks

by Sanjuro | Published on August 13th, 2008, 11:57 am | Food
That settles it, I need to find a vendor of these and give it a shot.

Pizza's are frozen, with cheese and sauce already on the disk. Stores add toppings, of which there are 10. Four meat and 6 veggies. Oven is a real oven. Lincoln oven. The pizza has just the right amount of cheese and sauce and is really a great taste when it is right out of the oven. Have thin crust with "extra cheese." and you will be hooked. Pizza is a 12" and goes for $9.49, all toppings included. Have a local store that discounts on Tues nights with one topping 7.00. Try the sausage. It is to die for!
August 16th, 2008, 12:12 am
pizza man

Liv wrote:There's one at Elon University according to Google Maps

Just make sure you have plenty of beer to wash it down.

That one looks as if it is located on campus. Am feeling brave and am trying to find one in/near GSO, Ral, Durham, CH or Burlington and teh Google is no help. Went to the HM website but if you want to locate ummm locations, you have to submit an email with contact info. Hell to the no! Anybody got anything on locations :?:
"Those who embrace the deity of Christ rather than the morals of Christ are not religious…they are pseudo-religious and dangerous to our national interests.”
- Thomas Jefferson
August 16th, 2008, 1:29 pm
C. Alice

Pardon the digression, but is anyone aware you can get a pretty darn good pizza at Costco? Not the best I've ever had, granted, but way better than many I've had. And these suckers are huge. iIf you tell them when you arrive, and set a time, they'll even have it hot 'n' ready by the time you're through wandering the aisles.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -- Albert Camus

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
-- John Steinbeck
August 16th, 2008, 1:49 pm
The Rain King

It appears I was reading that map wrong on Google, you're right... apparently the listings are a bit elusive.... probably because they generally aren't the primary business, but a add-on to gas stations (as exemplified in the the picture I just amended to the original post.) and other merchants.

I'd refer you to ours, but ours went "under" (some surprise there) about 6 months ago.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
August 16th, 2008, 2:20 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I ran across this Pizza, before Hunt Brothers bought the other company. I eat a lot of pizza being single and all. I can honestly say that I have never run across a better pizza, than this. Pie Crusts haver been a favororite of mine, however when I buy a Hunts Brothers Pizza, I have to say,"I can't believe I ate the whole thing." Up until recently, before I ran into a jerk clerk, I bought them 5 at a time. One cooked and 4 not cooked. I would add a little protection to the pies, and freeze them. then when I got in the mood for Pizza, all I had to do was go to my freezer take it out and cook it. Dang, what do you know, the pie tasted just like I would have expected it to.

eaglfether
August 23rd, 2008, 8:57 pm
eaglfether

So let me get this straight. You bought Gas station pizza, bulked up on it so you wouldn't have to run to the gas station, decided it was so good you'd store it like some cold war chipmunk, and dethaw it later that ice-age and are impressed with how all the chemical additive have kept the pizza fresh and tasty during the time in cryogenic sleep?

It's probably all the darn lard in the thing... A 12" meat pizza is 100g of fat. 2 slices of their pizza is 820 calories.

That's not eating, that's risk taking....

Does the pizza come with any kind of guarantee you won't heave over and clog an artery just from breathing in the second hand pizza steam?
August 24th, 2008, 9:29 am
Liv

I hear Liv Tyler loves them:

August 24th, 2008, 10:52 am
Matt

Really... Perhaps Hunt Brother's can hire her for an endorsement?
August 24th, 2008, 11:13 am
Liv

Matt wrote:Greensboro will have truly "arrived" for me when this franchise comes to town:

http://www.papamurphys.com/

bull not easy bake number 1 selling oven 4 resturant use in america its 12 pie and u must be outts buisness by it haha
September 17th, 2008, 5:10 am
attaboy_3

Wow you are so far off base it is not funny
I personaly know all four Hunts brothers and their product
It is a raw dough crust using modern tec to flash freaze the yeast
Most pizza shops including your favorite use this same process for their dough balls.
You just dont know it.
As far as their mission statement you are only part right
They did get parts from anouther company but once they found out they changed it.
There was no threat from the other company just them telling them it had been used.
Being the good people they are they changed thiers.
Please be more respectful of others before you make false statements
October 24th, 2008, 11:44 am
pizzadanno

Perhaps things have changed... but when "our" Hunt Brother's pizza was open... they litterally had the crusts "stacked", not raw dough... Perhaps this location was using techniques outside of franchise rules, or perhaps they've changed their process, I do not know.
October 24th, 2008, 1:43 pm
Liv

You know, I noticed they have a car sponsored in the Nascar Sprint Cup race. They can't be hurting for much. I'm thinking most of the Hunt bros defensive posts on this site are company shills.

That said, if they'd like to treat me to some free samples and Nascar tickets I'd be more than willing to give them a fair review! :mrgreen:
October 28th, 2008, 2:41 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Food whores for Hunts!
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
October 28th, 2008, 2:45 pm
A Person

Okay Sanjuro, I found you one.... It's on Elm Eugene just past industrial in a gas station just south of I-40. Saw the sign today for Hunt Brothers and tried to remember it's location....

Pretty sure it's here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=elm-eugene+greensboro+nc&fb=1&cid=12196768871761497568&li=lmd&ll=36.032668,-79.790525&spn=0.008069,0.027466&z=16&layer=c&cbll=36.027855,-79.791577&panoid=NDVNuAVQDbAdcF_KVgSlVw&cbp=1,107.9996465273295,,0,0.2435736229772226
November 8th, 2008, 4:45 pm
Liv

I saw a sign a week or two agoi for Hunt Brothers Pizza I'd never noticed before ***- it's at a gas station in Graham NC on Hwy 87 near the intersection to get to Southern Alamance High School in case anybody feels brave, wants to check it out and report back to us. I didn't have the time to turn around and stop nor was I feeling particularly brave that day.

*** wouldn't have paid a bit of attention or had the ad-sign register with me had it not been for this never-ending thread about HB's alleged pizzas.
December 26th, 2008, 12:45 pm
C. Alice

It's a secret Christian organization disguised as pizza to make unwitting non-religious folks swallow their secret crust also known as "The body of Christ"
December 26th, 2008, 2:35 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:
hunt_brothers_pizza_example.gif
I like pizza. Technically I have a theory going that Pizza is the perfect food. Done right it's an art. Done wrong, its a sin against God. Let me bring you up to speed on an atrocity I've discovered in this world. It's called convenience store pizza franchises. One such company is Hunt Brothers pizza. This has got to be the worst idea yet.

How does it work? Well some lonesome storefront owner pays for someone to come install a cabinet in their convenient store or shop with an easy bake oven. It's like a miniaturized version of a real pizza oven, but 1/8 scale. Then this company called Hunt Brothers sends you some preprocessed cardboard crusts whereby you pretend to be a pizza chef and add toppings to it. Then they stick it in their oven with it's 100 watt light-bulb, and bake.

Now this is where it gets interesting. They give the shop owner fliers to use. The advertising suggests you get a huge pizza, at a low cost with unlimited toppings. Great idea huh? Look closer on the Hunt Brother's menu, and you realize the size of the pizza is only 14"... roughly the size of a small pizza at most pizza shops. Why so small? Because they're cooking it in an easy bake oven!

It's almost like some child playing imaginary pizzeria, except this is some communities expectations for pizza. My recommendation for those who want to experience pizza from the Hunt Brothers pizza menu, is to hunt for a real pizza restaurant.

Roxie writes:
My family loves Hunt Brother's pizza. We think Hunt Brothers pizza made by Allen’s Country Store in Corinth, KY is great. I love the flavor of the cheese and sauce. Hunt Brother's makes it possible to get pizza in our rural area, which is a Godsend! Since topping distribution and quantity is up to the individual store and well, the individual assembling the pizza that determines whether your pizza experience is a pleasant one, maybe you just need to try another store.
January 25th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Roxie

Which reminds me... We were driving through Amish country on 250 through Ohio and stopped at this gas station to pee in their handy dandy porta potty in the parking lot. We went inside for some munchies and discovered, lo-and-behold, a Hunt Brothers Pizza which didn't look too popular. We did opt for some Amish smoked cheese, which was odd because the cashier was a Gothic 29 year old woman, and the gas station had "John McCain" for President signs all over.
January 26th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Liv

Last Sunday I drove past the place I wrote about a couple of weeks ago:

"...it's at a gas station in Graham NC on Hwy 87 near the intersection to get to Southern Alamance High School ..."

They have a neon sign in the window that you can see driving by on 87 , and, while it doesn't say " Hunt Brothers Pizza Sucks" (thank god for that, I would have laughed so hard I lost control of the car and rolled it ) it is apparent they sell the stuff.
So, if anybody from GSO is interested, head north on 85/40. the Graham exit's #147 - turn right ( you'll be heading south; away from downtown Graham) on hwy 87 - and go a couple of miles and it's on your left .
January 30th, 2009, 12:34 pm
C. Alice

I " took one for the team"- the Greensboring team.

Was in Chapel Hill for graduation this weekend and stopped to get gas at a convenience store on MLK/Airport Road. While pumping gas, I saw the magic words on the sign in the window " Hunt Brothers Pizza" ( the sign did NOT bear the word " sucks..." )

So I tried it. Both to make and informed decision AND to say I had actually eaten a Hunt Brothers pizza product.
I bought a big slice of pizza ( I swear I think they called it a " hot hunk" ) for about $2.75. It was about 1/4 the size of the whole pizzas they had in the pizza window, and the store sold them pre-made and already topped in those big chunks.
It had pepperoni, sausage, banana peppers, onions and mushrooms on it and it may have had other toppings too.

It was.... interesting. The toppings were good- really good. And plentiful too. The crust was okay; the sauce so-so. It hasn't killed me nor made me ill. Not yet, anyway.

In a town like Chapel Hill that has places like The Italian Pizzeria and Alfredo's, places so good you want to go to Elizabeth's and sue them for false advertising for calling what they sell " pizza", you definitely wouldn't go to a gas station were you in the mood for pizza. But if you were on the road and up for a decently-sized chunk of pizza, and you really didn't have time to stop and find a good pizza place, it's certainly more than acceptable.
May 11th, 2009, 2:50 pm
C. Alice

Best pizza available. Yes it's priced high and the pizza is small, but this is one of those times I pay the difference and it doesn't bother me at all. Best taste of all the brands out there.
November 9th, 2009, 8:05 pm
itatat

This is some funny stuff.
I was doing some research for a client and came across this thread.
Very entertaining.
November 18th, 2009, 4:22 pm
DocDoom

Liv, you are an idiot. Hunt Brothers Pizza is awesome. My local c-store went to some crap called Picadilly Pizza for a while and then switched back to Hunt Brothers. Picadilly was HORRIBLE. You want cardboard pizza? Try Picadilly. It is 100 times worse than Hunt Brothers. I like Hunt Brothers better than Pizza Hut too. Pizza Hut sprays some crap on their pizzas to give them "finished" look. And they burn the damn pepperoni. Any Hunt Brothers pizza I've ever eaten has been excellent. Since you have not tried the pizza, you can collect $200 and go to hell. Satan will be waiting for you with a nice loaded Hunt Brothers Pizza so you'll forever know why you went to hell: for damaging Hunt Brothers amazing pizza. Get a life, asshole.
February 18th, 2010, 3:30 pm
aaaaaa

Number one...I used to make these pizzas where i worked. They are so much better than dominos, its scary. Number 2 i challenge you to find or make a pizza that is so much better for a lot less price. You don't pay extra for the toppings you want...its a really good deal. And if you can buy a digorno for $4 that is ALREADY made, i cant find it..besides the DIGORNOS are at least $5 at Walmart.
April 12th, 2010, 11:44 am
pj

Return to Food