·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Hunt Brothers Pizza Sucks

by SoUareRighteousNowEh? | Published on April 25th, 2010, 2:53 pm | Food
Looks like we have some "holier than thou" folks who think they are better than convenience store owners or workers. I'm sure they are not above frequenting these, well, convenient establishments. Just be sure to look down on the employees while you are there, right?

Domino's, like most franchise pizza establishments, uses dough that is made in a facility and then shipped to the franchise locations. It was frozen when I worked there in college. I'm guessing Hunt Bros works the same way. I prefer Papa John's, but whatever, it is all done the same way.

But I digress. How dare this evil Catholic organization provide small business owners and entrepreneurs with a means of making a living through pizza. Customers getting ripped off all through the eastern land by paying a modest amount of money for what is seems to be, based on most reviews, a decent pizza that is better than most grocery store frozen pizza but not as good as your most popular local fresh-made pizza establishment, which is reflected in the price. And utilizing the free market to do so!

I may be atheist, and think Catholicism (along with all religion) is a peculiar and somewhat odd tradition that people like to indulge in, but that is their choice. I have no beef with it. But I would like some pepperoni on my Hunt Bros pizza!

C. Alice wrote:I saw a sign a week or two agoi for Hunt Brothers Pizza I'd never noticed before ***- it's at a gas station in Graham NC on Hwy 87 near the intersection to get to Southern Alamance High School in case anybody feels brave, wants to check it out and report back to us. I didn't have the time to turn around and stop nor was I feeling particularly brave that day.

*** wouldn't have paid a bit of attention or had the ad-sign register with me had it not been for this never-ending thread about HB's alleged pizzas.

We passed this one on the way back from Johnson's on Friday. I've actually noticed several places with Hunt Brothers signs, but usually have somewhere else to be or have other plans for dining. But if everything's eventual, you'll see my feedback once I finally get in gear and give their pizza a shot.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
April 26th, 2010, 10:22 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Yes... I'll make the point of doing a review at some point.... Just sort of cringe at the idea.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
April 26th, 2010, 10:24 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Man, it's amazing how silly these posts are--and how uniformed many of the writers are. HB Pizza has ALWAYS been 12" (round or square). They call it "large" not "huge." It is cooked in a Lincoln Impinger oven, the same kind (although smaller) that Dominoes etc use. That oven cost $4500, so it't not a "toaster" oven. The writer that said she bought a 24" pizza--but she paid $22 bucks for it--could have bought 2 12" Hunt Brother's Pizzas for $17.98--WOW that's 24" of pizza. As for the crust. The crust is killer good. The edges actually RISE, making an honest to God pizza PIE. You can get this pizza with 10 toppings for $9.49. Try to order a 12" Dominos pizza and put 10 toppings on it. It's going to cost you 15 bucks. As for "real" pizza--Dominos, Papa Johns, Little Ceasars (suck). But you know, pizza, like women are a subjective thing. I like blonds. Someone else might like red heads. They're all girls, but their different in their own way. I suggest you order a Hunt Brother's pizza, load it up, get it "double cheezed" and enjoy some pretty darned good pizza. Even better--try the thin crust. It's so good, your tongue will reach up and slap the roof of your mouth.
May 19th, 2010, 2:09 pm
pizza4749

If you go to their website, they can give you store locations. Try one of their freaking pizzas and then you can say if you like it or you don't. They are not a franchise, buy the way. Instead, they set up a store and the owner sells their pizza without any franchise kick backs. They don't have royalty fees and all that. If I had a c-store, I'd put the pizza in. You can't make money selling beer and soda anymore. That's why c-stores have been adding food, like Subway etc. Food makes money. If your gonna work 12 hours a day, you might as well make some money, cause you don't do it for fun.
May 19th, 2010, 2:24 pm
pizza4749

Isn't it terrible that we, as a capitalist nation from its root, can stomp on someone's product who worked so hard that they were able to honestly get to the top without stepping on others? Grant that in that order of business, we are always competitive and it places the sweat in the collar and green in the clinched teeth. :mrgreen:

I know the family and it was displayed before me that some are going to receive the blessing of the land
when once they dedicate to God what would never be available otherwise. Let us be glad and use this successful business as a mentoring agent for others who dreamed the dream!
June 16th, 2010, 9:16 pm
cookieZ

I know the family, and thank GOD I know the truth. The early years were hard, first in the 50's for the first teenage drive-through ( Austin's Drive In) when the owner/father died of a heart attack. However, the 4 sons took on an idea that supposedly sprang out of "hope and prayer", out of the back of a truck and baked before the eyes of large and small restaurant owners. This is not unlike the capitalistic approach that was dreamed from the English in the 17th century.

Far from instant success, the barriers were broken with contributions from their own pocket money and hard-earned investors.
So they came up with an idea that was their own. Why is that immoral? Divine help comes in all packages. And "all toppings at no extra charge" is, indeed, stamped their own. Food costs can use their firstie for other competitors-- without a plagiarized discredit. :roll: And as far as their mission statement is concerned, they want to be legal eagles, so they were willing to change what once was the eclectic and timeless hope declaration for anyone and give it their own to be courteous and please city hall.

Ok. No wonder their pizza tastes so good! They can sleep nights.
June 16th, 2010, 9:34 pm
CookieZ

cookieZ wrote:Isn't it terrible that we, as a capitalist nation from its root, can stomp on someone's product who worked so hard that they were able to honestly get to the top without stepping on others?

What's so "terrible" about someone expressing their personal opinion about some capitalist's product?
June 17th, 2010, 5:59 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Yes, Hunt Brothers Pizza is a good product and the Hunt Brothers did work hard to develope a winning program for c-stores. My complaint with them is how they treat their employees that helped make them successful.

Here's the short version of my experience with Hunt Brothers:
I was sales manager for Charlie Hunt several years ago. Charlie and his daughter Danielle operated distribution in the Ohio area out of an office in Cincinnati. They were in business for 7 years when I was hired and they were growing very slowly, only doing about $1,400,000 per year. The changes that I implemented in the company was the reason we grew to over $3,500,000 per year is just 2 and 1/2 years. Many of their employees, including me, accepted the job based on Charlies compensation plan which included a retirement program that kick in on an employees 3rd anniversary - 15% of annual income to be contributed entirely by Charlie.

Things started to change towards the end of my last year when Charlie moved to Florida, he gave Danielle internal control (product orders, payroll and accounts payable) and me external control (sales and distribution) of the company. Once Charlie was out of the picture Danielle wanted to be in charge of everything, so she lied to Charlie and he told her to terminate me. Oh by the way that was just a few months shy of my 3rd anniversary, remember the 15% retirement program? Several months earlier Charlie tried to get me to terminate a couple of employees who were close to their 3rd anniversary. I told Charlie that was not the right thing to do and if he truely wanted to be a Christian company then he needs to fulfill his commitments to his employees if the are doing a good job. After I was terminated many of our accounts called the office to complain to Danielle, but after a couple of weeks she refused to take anymore of their calls. Others employees soon resigned and others were terminated in just a few months. Things got so bad that Britt Hunt ( Nashville) took over this territory.

Danielle even tried to get me to sign a NON-COMPETE contract when she teminated my employment. Also, Jim Hunt called a couple of weeks later and asked me why Charlie and Danielle fired me, I told him that Danielle lied to Charlie and all he said was "we have to side with family, you know how it is". It wouldn't have bothered me as much if Charlie would have called me and then decided it would be best if I was not with the company. He didn't even have the guts to fire me himself or at the very least talk to me about what Danielle lied to him about.

So, please DO NOT accept their claim to be a Christian company. They only apply biblical principals to their business when it benefits them, not others.
June 18th, 2010, 4:08 pm
former sales manager

Sounds like an eerily similar story to someone I know of who used to work with a "Christian" company. I'm sure not all business who claim the status are bad, but there sure seems like a lot of them out there are.
June 18th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Sounds familiar. This company would always preached but never practiced what they preached.

A good friend worked for Hunt Brothers Pizza for several years. He worked hard and built his territory to the point that he was making a good income for his family. He almost quit at one point because one of his sons was ill and he was putting in a lot of time on his route, but he couldn't because of the health insurance the company was paying for. Then he received notice that he was fired, without any real explaination.

I think they fired him because the health insurance premiums probably increased do to his sons health problems. I think they replaced him with a single person and therefor lower premiums.

I wish there was a web site that more people could report BAD COMPANIES like this. Any ideas?
August 20th, 2010, 12:31 pm
Screwed by Christians

Been Eating Pizza 66 years since 4 years of age. I Owned two Large successful restaurants we served 210 seats not including Ice cream Full 15 stool bar.. Plus 30 seat Adult Bar.

This is Very Good Tasting Pizza and sauce and very Reasonable for the Quantity. Keep up the good work guy's.

The Crum cake at the heading is either a competitor or EX employee.
Frank
October 24th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Frank Dio

We are in New Orleans, at Pontchartrain RV park. They sell Hunt Brothers pizza at their "bar". We had one on the first night we were here and it was so good, we had another on our last night here. Both were fantastic.

Let me tell you why we are great critics of pizza. We used to own a full fledged pizza shop. Did for 10 years. Our customers raved about our pizza, still do after 10 years out of the business. I realize that Hunt Brothers Pizza has premade crust. Almost fooled us. This was great pizza and we will be watching for other places that sell the product.
November 12th, 2010, 9:11 am
palamine

First, all the hunt bros Pizzas i have had are closer to most mediums. Second, they are terrible under a warming lamp. Third, fresh, they are pretty good. And who cares whether they are a christian company or not, they are by far the best c store pizza out there that i have found. Not all "real" pizza places are better, and dominos has gone down hill (imo) since they started worrying about how the pizza looks. It all comes down to opinion.
November 30th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Airs0315

I stumbled on this site when "googling" to find the number to my local Hunt Brothers. I agree with everyone here except the original poster!
#1 I live in a rural community in Texas and the Hunt Brothers is 2 miles from my house in a gas station. The next nearest pizza place is a Pizza Hut or Dominos 14 miles away. If I want "authentic" pizza (which as a native Chicagoan I don't believe is here in Texas :D ) I have to go to downtown some 20+ miles away.
Which brings me to ....
#2 This is a convenience food. Pizza has been "bastardized" so to speak by American food culture, just like Mexican food has been by Taco Bell or we could go on with the comparisons, like someone brought up McDonald's. It's okay for Long John Silver's to sell "lobster bites" and I know full well that paying $3.99 I'm not going to get the lobster experience I'd get at Landry's downtown. You seem to be so enveloped in the idea that pizza making is an art and are annoyed that these franchises exist. You probably hate Little Ceasar's too. I believe cooking of any kind is an art and I do it in my home for enjoyment. When I buy a convenience store pizza I'm neither looking for nor expecting any razzle dazzle artistry, I just want a hot meal that tastes good to feed my kids and myself when I've been at work all day and I have to take my child to a concert in the next hour and I have no time to grocery shop and cook.
#3 Referencing a company owner's religion is just stupid. I don't know if any of you ever heard of the "rumors" that the people who owned Johnson & Johnson were devil worshipers selling household goods with the mission to take over the world? Aside from that what it means to be a Christian can be loosely interpreted and doesn't hold the same definition from one person to the next.

* and someone posted something about a Christian company not sending a prize winner to "sin" city Las Vegas? That had me laughing out loud. How many Christians go to Vegas every year ?!!?
December 13th, 2010, 6:38 pm
WhiteLavender

completely disagree I LOVE HUNT BROTHERS PIZZA! Beats the (expletive) out of pizza hut.
December 20th, 2010, 10:51 pm
eGGtheGreat

Return to Food