·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Brixx Pizza - "If you're dumb as bricks, you'll love it!"

by Liv | Published on August 28th, 2009, 9:08 pm | Food
brixx_greensboro_nc_oven_pizza.jpg
brixx_greensboro_nc_oven_pizza.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 1052 times

After a very, very long day of driving, fighting with a rear-suspension, picking up and dropping the kids off, showering, getting ready, shopping at Wal-Mart, and taxi-ing Shan back and forth while we're down to one car, I said the "Hell with it" and decided to go out to eat tonight. We ended up at Brixx. It was a spur of the moment "Hey we've never been there.... look at all the pretty lights... let's go" kind of thing. Brixx Wood Fired Pizza is the modern day version of a neo-Pizza Hut but upgraded with beer and wine but minus the 'Mr. Mister' playing from the juke box. It's yuppie, and features a unique niche ploy of "Wood Fired" pizza which makes people who can't think for themselves clamor to them like bugs to a zapper. While it wasn't bad.... it wasn't all that good either.

There's two types of people who go to Brixx apparently, (besides the curious like me) one is the couple who accidentally had children a few years back and now longs for the days of going out to the bar for a beer. Most of the people who were there tonight where in this category. The parents got drunk while the kids shoved their faces with cheese pizza, and watched Rusty Wallace on the big-screen do burnouts. One family was so interested in having a beer without the cost of a baby sitter that the kids broke out a portable DVD player and was watching "Monsters INC." while their parents slouched in the corner of the booth foaming at the mouth. The second group of people were the rich white single yuppies who think they're "hip" because they found a restaurant with a wine list, and they can SMS their friends about the ambiance of the roaring fire and psychedelic lights.

"Dood.... the feng shui at Brix is much better than that place we thought was cool last week!"

Now that we've gotten that out of the way... let me say the staff was nice, the service good, and it's food is "meh". I think where this place would stand on it's own is if you got your food to go, and took it home in lieu of the larger "pizza chains", and in that, the gimmick (wood fired pizza) isn't as cheapened... For $10.00, it's reasonable, and just as bad as everyone else out there. It's food, and it's rather blah.

brixx_bronx_pizza.jpg

When we first arrived I remarked how much it reminded me of another Italian chain I've been to recently: Strada, (don't try looking.... they hide it from the Brixx crowd) but then as I sat there and took in the worn out parents, the yuppies pretending, and some women with the most annoyingly pitched voice talking about how it wasn't fair she couldn't trade her Mercedes in on cash for clunkers like the poor people she's tired of subsidizing.... I realized.... it's oceans apart.

Maybe it's the fact I wasn't drinking. Maybe that's my problem. Maybe I'd love commercial gimmicky pizza places, and complain about poor people instead of not having health care if only they had a pizza that came with cheese and anti-depressants, a side of A.D.H.D. medicine, and a pitcher of beer to chase the wine down that I just spent my child's allowance on.

The reason Brixx is so distasteful to me is because it's an Italian restaurant that's been dumbed down for Americans, not a Italian restaurant. It's the happy meal of upscale pizzerias, it's purgatory for people who can no longer live their lives, or too stupid to actually figure out how to order a dish in another language. I may not be that bright, but I'm not going back to Brixx.... I'll be saving my money for some Pollo alla Milanese.

1424 Westover Ter ste 100
    Greensboro, NC 27408
    (336) 235-2749

What planet was that Brixx located on? Brixx is very good,second to Sticks and Stones on Walker Ave. your review comes off sounding snobbish, intolerant and cheesy. Pizza is a separate category of restaurant ,not Italian.
August 28th, 2009, 10:27 pm
clara

We avoid the place, but we also despise Chipotle.

Neil Reitzel, owner of Fish Bones on Walker, went to Brixx once. As soon as he recovered from laughter, he opened a similar place across the road. It's called sticks and stones or something like that. If you must have unnecessarily expensive wood-fired artisan pizza, he's got it.

As for us, we just hit one of the Elizabeth's.
A man living in a world where men are no longer necessary.
August 28th, 2009, 10:32 pm
Fecund Stench

What the freck? It's just a restaurant. And a decent one at that. You make me want to shoot myself in the face. Grow the freck up.
August 28th, 2009, 10:54 pm
dude

clara wrote:Pizza is a separate category of restaurant ,not Italian.

Good point. It really is unfair to compare a pizza restaurant with an Italian restaurant.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
August 29th, 2009, 11:54 am
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:
clara wrote:Pizza is a separate category of restaurant ,not Italian.

Good point. It really is unfair to compare a pizza restaurant with an Italian restaurant.

To be fair, it seems like she had a bigger issue with the patrons than the resturant itself.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
August 29th, 2009, 12:32 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

The food as previously stated was "average". Doesn't make me scream and yell, doesn't make my have an oral fixation with required treatment.... I write tons of food reviews, some good, some bad... I'm just being honest, and in my opinion this place is worthy of skipping.
August 29th, 2009, 4:49 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Food