·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Knorr Aromat

by Liv | Published on September 30th, 2009, 3:09 pm | Food
knorr_aromat_seasoning_all_purpose.jpg
knorr_aromat_seasoning_all_purpose.jpg (9.85 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

I get a little upset when I realize there's some product that is supposedly "really darn good" that most of the rest of the world is familiar with, but I can't have because I live in America. Spent nearly 3 weeks tracking down something called Knorr Aromat as it was a part of my "recipe research" and I believed it was a part of a recipe I was trying to clone. It wasn't, but in the process, I did find out that this is an amazing seasoning. It's called Knorr Aromat, and from many of the reviews online, apparently most of Europe, especially Sweden and Germany, pour this stuff on every food they can imagine. Why do we not have it in America if it's so good? I had to try it for myself.

So I started looking locally. Food Lion, Harris Teeters, even World Market. Couldn't find it. Then I looked it up online. Found tons of retailers supposedly selling it, but when you went to check out, it would say "out of stock". Even went so far to place an order, then got an email a few days later saying they couldn't get it, and none of their vendors could either. I was perplexed. Finally I hit success a few days ago with these guys, a caffeinated mint company that also imports other products. I got the package today and they even sent me a sample of their mints, so I was so chuffed!

If you're interested in trying Knorr Aromat, it's only $4.99 and here's the link I ordered it from.

I immediately opened it and it smelled sort of like French Onion soup, potato chips, and all-season salt. Decided to try it on a burrito and it was really, really good. It wasn't what I was looking for, for my recipe, but I can see how addictive this stuff is. With my minuscule experience with the product it appears to turn everything from vegetables to meat into a rich aromatic McDonald's French Fry taste. In fact, I bet it's killer on potatoes. Give Knorr's aromat a try if you're looking for a new way to cook or impress yourself.

So why can't we have it in America?

Hi

I am in the UK and I have the same problem...in reverse! I am happy to post Aromat to you if you like, I have access to the catering size pack (850g - with a good shelf life) if you are interested.

My problem is that there is no supplier of our favourite BBQ sauce, Cattlemens. They wont even let me enquire on their website unless I live in the US! I found a wholesaler in the UK but they only has a few bottles and it is now discontinued.

I am happy do discuss a trade for the same value or send money by Pay Pal if you are interested. Please contact me by email shown below.

Best Wishes

Steve Joel

[email protected]
October 23rd, 2009, 9:28 am
stevejoel

Knorr aromat is MSG seasoning salt. You can get it from Amazon. But you can buy MSG seasoning salt from any supermarket. Have you tried just buying onion powder by itself? I use that a lot.

Ingredients
Iodized Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Lactose (From Milk), Wheat Starch, Onion and Garlic Powder, Yeast Extract, Palm Oil, Sunflower Oil, Calcium Silicate (Used to Prevent Caking), Turmeric, Caramel Color, Dried Onions, Dried Porcini Mushrooms, Spices.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
October 23rd, 2009, 11:31 am
A Person

Yes, we have standard MSG available in the states as a product called "Accent", but the Knorr Aromat has a completely different flavor than anything I've ever experienced....

...I've gotten to learn about a lot of foods we don't have in the U.S....

Another one is "Marmite".... I assume that you're probably familar with it.... just learned about it a week ago, and had to get it....

I think buying seasonings is my new "low cost" hobby.
October 23rd, 2009, 12:21 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Yes I always bring back a big pot of Marmite with me. I can get it here, but only in little pots. Have you ever tried Twiglets? If you see them at your import store, you should try them

Terry Pratchett describes how it was invented in the The Last Continent when Rincewind's beer stew boiled dry.

I think you would get a very similar flavour to Aromat by adding onion & garlic powder to seasoning salt.
October 23rd, 2009, 12:31 pm
A Person

I'll try that....

I think I might swing by world market tonight, so I'll look, but I can't recall seeing them....
October 23rd, 2009, 12:37 pm
Liv

A Person wrote:Yes I always bring back a big pot of Marmite with me.

Check this out! A whole store dedicated to Marmite: http://www.marmitepopup.co.uk/
November 12th, 2009, 8:58 am
Liv

ohh, yeah i know aromat.been searching for it over here too. i'm swiss and live in california. there's just nothing like it. i first thought that it's not sold because it has MSG in it (and we're all addicted, LOL) but that sounds just so unlikely.
i usually have my mom send me the refill bags. (and i'm on my last one already, ha!)

another thing i can't live without: ovomaltine (it's NOT ovaltine, it's unique too.)

but the thing with the barbecue sauces is true. america has such amazing ones (im veg. tho:-)) and everyone over in europe wants those!!!^^
January 30th, 2010, 1:39 am
fai

fai wrote:another thing i can't live without: ovomaltine (it's NOT ovaltine, it's unique too.)

Oh no... another thing I've got to try.....
January 30th, 2010, 9:17 am
Liv

Ovomaltine was the original (Swiss) name of Ovaltine. As the product was licensed around the world the recipe changed 'to suit local markets' i.e. because they could. The original is less sweet with a stronger flavor.

Horlicks is the one I remember from my childhood. You could get it as tablets to eat as candy but I haven't seen them for years.

I like malt, I usually have some around from brewing and it goes well in so many things
January 30th, 2010, 11:03 am
A Person

Try it on broccoli. The stuff made me LOVE broccoli, asparagus and other veggies as a kid.
April 24th, 2010, 1:23 pm
Microfiber

Return to Food