·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

American Versus British Chocolate.

by Liv | Published on November 14th, 2009, 10:21 am | Food
cadbury_bar.jpg

Via BritFancy we learn of a NY Times article that explains exactly what's wrong with American Chocolate:

“One day I was eating a bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk and I thought, this has absolutely no flavor,” he said. “I looked at the label and saw it was made by Hershey. I was outraged.”

Of course as Brit Fancy points out, because of this the recent news of Kraft's attempted takeover of Cadbury, many citizens of the world were deeply concerned.

It’s a different bar from the Cadbury bar available in the United States. According to the label, a British Cadbury Dairy Milk bar contains milk, sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, vegetable fat and emulsifiers. The version made by the Hershey Company, which holds the license from Cadbury-Schweppes to produce the candy in the United States under the British company’s direction, starts its ingredient list with sugar. It lists lactose and the emulsifier soy lecithin, which keeps the cocoa butter from separating from the cocoa. The American product also lists “natural and artificial flavorings.”

Mmmm... I love artificial flavorings!

“Hershey’s tastes like ear wax,” said Kevin Ellis, an Alaskan-born designer with Adobe Systems in San Francisco.

I wouldn't go as far to say that, but I do love's me my Aero bar, and my Mars Muffins.

Mass produced 'chocolate' is like mass produced beer. Some of it tastes vaguely chocolately (or beer-like) but when you taste the real thing you realize what's missing.

I'm no fan of Cadburys either. Watney's Red Barrel has more flavour than Coors, but they both lag as far behind real beer as Cadbirys does behind real chocolate
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
November 14th, 2009, 11:06 am
A Person

Any recommendations?
November 14th, 2009, 11:54 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

For chocolate - any chocolate that lists the cocoa content is a good start. Nestles has started producing som 70% cocoa versions of Aero and KitKat that aren't bad.

My favourite chocolate bar comes from a Belgium company Cote D'Or (Gold Coast)

All of their stuff is good, but I like this best

As far as beer goes, if it lists the ingredients as Water, malt, hops and yeast that's a very good start. I've had very few beers from a micro brewery that were bad and frankly there are a great many small breweries in the US that brew world class beers. It isn't difficult to brew excellent beer, just more expensive.
November 14th, 2009, 12:50 pm
A Person

I know they have some high cocoa stuff at World Market.... I occasionally get some really expensive chocolate over there.... that's really, really good.... but I haven't had enough of it to develop a preference on it yet....

I'd love to try a Kit Kat or Aero.... I'll have to start looking for those.
November 14th, 2009, 2:25 pm
Liv

It's not just the cocoa content, milk chocolate has lower cocoa content, but the better quality chocolate still tastes much better.

One of 'Niven's Laws*" is not to waste calories. i.e. if your going to eat calories, only eat quality ones. Don't wast that calory budget on crap
Real cream not 'Non-dairy toppng'
Real chocolate not 'chocolately flavoured bar'
Real beer not 'Coors' beer flavoured beverage
Rib eye steak not 'MacDonalds food flavoured sandwiches'
November 14th, 2009, 4:13 pm
A Person

Couldn't do it.... I have to treat myself to the good stuff....

If I had a bucket of real chocolate.... I'd eat it all. No self control... especially when it comes to chocolate....
November 14th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Liv

The Belgium chocolate in Walmart is Ok, but my favourite is Milka and that can sometimes be found in Target
November 15th, 2009, 2:07 pm
smiler125

Return to Food