·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Best Fruit Cake You Ever Ordered: Southern Supreme

by Liv | Published on January 2nd, 2010, 3:34 pm | Food
southern_supreme_gourmet_fruit_cake.jpg

Here is a box, a colorful box, wrapped up and ready to open. But this box can hide a secret inside. Can you guess what is in it today?

FRUIT CAKE!!!

First and foremost, I don't like fruitcake. I don't know anyone that does. They call this fruitcake, but what it is amazing. My parents make the annual pilgrimage to Southern Supreme in Bear Creek NC to pick these up, (45 miles south of Greensboro) and they brought us one today. It's a local family owned fruit cake business which now does mail-order and phone sales on their world famous Scott family recipe of fruit cakes... and they're insanely good.

The recommendation is the Southern Supreme which starts out around $7 for an 8 oz bar. The box warns the cake is "more nuts than fruit fruitcake", which is probably why everyone loves it.

best_fruitcake_recipe_ever.jpg
best_fruitcake_recipe_ever.jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

Our old fashioned cake is made in our kitchen with the best of everything a proper fruitcake should have. And, plenty of it too; with rich English walnuts, fresh pecans, golden raisins, dates, pineapple and candied cherries. Each cake is hand decorated and beautifully packaged.

There's no way I can describe this stuff to you until you try it. Please, even if you don't like fruit cake; do not shy away from this one because I can tell you this isn't your crappy K-mart version that gets re-gifted 20 times without opening. This will be gone in seconds after you lay your tongue upon the cake's nuts.

Berta Scott the founder of Southern Supreme realized her dream of operating her business after she delivered fruitcakes to her customers at the beauty salon. "They always bragged on my cakes, so much so, that one day I told em I was gonna stop doing hair and start selling my fruitcake."

In 1984, that is exactly what she did. Soon they began taking the baked goods to craft fairs like the 'Holiday Market' at the Greensboro Coliseum. They then began selling the baked goods all over the world.

This is my new favorite mail order place for unique gifts!

Southern Supreme
    1699 Hoyt Scott Rd
    Bear Creek, NC 27207
    336-581-3141
    336-581-4149 Fax

Yep, been getting one for Christmas from a customer for years. None better. It's worth the trip for the store.
A man living in a world where men are no longer necessary.
January 3rd, 2010, 3:14 pm
Fecund Stench

"Lay your tongue upon the cake's nuts?" :shock:
"Are you disrespecting me and my family?"
January 3rd, 2010, 8:54 pm
shannon
Try My Cupcakes.

They're chewy!
January 3rd, 2010, 8:58 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Y'know, I missed this thread when Liv originally posted it.

TODAY was an impromptu trek to Siler City for ... anyone? anyone? Yes! JOHNSON'S!!!

We were waiting a bit longer than usual, but enjoyed conversation with the couple in line ahead of us. The gentleman asked if we knew how to get to Fruitcakes. Huh? :?: He and his wife then told us about Southern Supreme. (Sorry, Liv. Like I said, I missed this thread!) We told them we'd have to check it out. Word-of-mouth advertising proved to be a win.

With no other plans for the afternoon after leaving Johnson's, we got the address, punched it into the GPS and headed south. It was a gorgeous afternoon for a drive down country highways. And at last, the final turn.

IMG_0286.jpg

We were happy to see the same couple from Johnson's. They even seemed a little happy to see that we weren't just blowin' smoke up their arses when we said that we might head over there after burgertime!

The showroom currently is going through remodeling, but that did not take away from the experience. There's a sampling room where you can taste not only the fruitcake, but most of the other products. Oh. My. Word.

Fruitcake? YUM. Cheese florets? Aw hell yeah! Marmalade? Jelly? Tea biscuits? CHOCOLATE? Yeah, all of them went home with us. But it's not just about the food, the glorious food.

The Scotts and everyone we met were beyond friendly. You can tell they not only love what they do, but they ARE customer service. I can't explain it any more than that. You just need to pay them a visit to see what I mean. I think the runs to Siler City have now expanded to Bear Creek. (It sounds like a lot of Southern Supreme visitors do the same thing!)

And yeah... guess where we're ordering gifts from for 2010 holiday season. :wink: Another local business to support!
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
March 6th, 2010, 6:23 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Mmmmmmmmmm..... on all accounts.
March 6th, 2010, 6:45 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Mmmmmmmmmm..... on all accounts.

OMG The Cheese Florets.... If you like cheese straws, these are way better than any straws. The texture, the flavor, the size. My mouth is happy. Very happy!

The Tea Biscuits. I picked up gingerbread. Nomilicious!

Definitely making gift baskets!
March 6th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Serendipitous

Someone might have to make a trip down there this week while the kids are in school....
March 7th, 2010, 11:23 am
Liv

Dip! We went today and saw your name in the guest book!!! I'm like... "It's Dip!!!!" The lady was like "What?"
March 8th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Dip! We went today and saw your name in the guest book!!! I'm like... "It's Dip!!!!" The lady was like "What?"

And you just blew past my name?? lol

I would like to second, third, fourth and fifth everything that Dippy said above. Everything at this place was out and out fantastic. From the atmosphere, the customer service, the patrons, the local quality, tasty tasty treats and even the fact it was 'out of the way' and "hidden". All blended together to make it a very special experience. A hidden gem in the piedmont.

Support your local business!! Southern Supreme has a name that fits.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
March 8th, 2010, 3:42 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:
Liv wrote:Dip! We went today and saw your name in the guest book!!! I'm like... "It's Dip!!!!" The lady was like "What?"

And you just blew past my name?? lol

Perhaps she couldn't read your penmanship? :twisted:
Nah, Liv likely recognized the address thanks to the local post office and the 'boring stickers mailings.

Sanjuro wrote:A hidden gem in the piedmont. ...

Support your local business!! Southern Supreme has a name that fits.

~thumbs up~
March 8th, 2010, 6:01 pm
Serendipitous

No I didn't see Sanjuro's name.... weird!!!! Though I got so excited when I saw Dip's name, I may have overlooked it.... Sorry Sanjuro.....
March 9th, 2010, 8:56 am
Liv

Do they have chocolate covered bacon?
March 10th, 2010, 4:17 pm
hugh

Return to Food