·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Welsh Laverbread and Cockles

by shannon | Published on January 11th, 2010, 10:48 am | Food
So tonight's the big night! I am attempting to make Liv a Welsh themed dinner. For some time we have discussed "lava bread". So as a romantic gesture I am taking on this challenge tonight. As I began my research I discovered that it's actually "laver bread" and is normally served with cockle clams. This adventure led me to the International Market in Greensboro. I found my nori aka seaweed and happened upon my cockle clams. Though they are frozen. I know we all like scallops so I'm throwing some of those in a well. I found Irish oats and I need to pick up some bacon. We are having Mead wine and against all odds I am going to attempt to build the Millenium Centre out of cake. I have never made this dish so any advice would be gladly accepted. I don't know it might be a disaster but we have loaf of bread and pb&j if all else fails. Whoa, and this cake, what am I thinking? I'd better wash some spoons just in case the whole thing collapses we can stand around it and dig in. Seriously, I'm a little anxious about this.

Mmmmmm Cockles....
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
January 11th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Have you actually eaten laver bread before? Traditionally its a seaweed mush, but if you mix it with mashed poatao and bacon it makes an interesting bubble and squeak.

Although Nori is seaweed, it isn't much like laver, the closest is dulse which can be bought over here.

All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
January 11th, 2010, 4:35 pm
A Person

No this our first....

We ended up buying some seaweed from the Asian market, and it's blackish....

She's in the kitchen now, cooking up a storm....

I must say the cockles are quite a interesting image.... I'm have a bit of "fear factor", I'll admit.
January 11th, 2010, 5:47 pm
Liv

I find it helps to know what the dish is supposed to look and taste like before experimenting - but Good luck.

For example, I had Carolina boiled peanuts described to me but I wouldn't have been able to reproduce the black, salty gooeyness that wasn't actually as bad as it sounded.

And after tasting grits I know that I will never ever bother trying to make it myself - even if I did it perfectly the result would still be flavorless goop.
January 11th, 2010, 6:03 pm
A Person

Well I guess she googled, but ya know, I'm guessing there's a lack of welshness out there?

That said... I'll try to get pictures....
January 11th, 2010, 6:07 pm
Liv

I had some excellent cockles in Brecon market last summer. fresh, tender and juicy. If they were frozen, presumably they are already cooked, in which case they just need warming through. It's easy to overcook them and then they go like pencil erasers
January 11th, 2010, 6:27 pm
A Person

welsh_laverbread_scallops,cockles.jpg

Excuse the crappy pics, I'm in between cameras at the moment.

Not sure if this is what it's supposed to be, but loved it.... absolutely loved it... the texture, the flavors, OMG... one of the best meals ever... The cockles had a small problem... only a few opened up.... but I tried them and loved them.... The scallops and laverbread is freaking awesome... Even tried some with vinegar... GREAT!!!

Highly recommend this dish.... I definitely plan on expanding upon it....
January 11th, 2010, 7:22 pm
Liv

Return to Food