·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

by Liv | Published on February 17th, 2010, 6:56 pm | Food
stuffed_portobello_mushrooms_topped_with_tomato_and_mozzarella.jpg
stuffed_portobello_mushrooms_topped_with_tomato_and_mozzarella.jpg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 1615 times

Oh my Gawd these were F'ing good! I came up with this idea a while back but put off making them because we have a little soldier in the house that hates mushrooms. Well tough titty kaka, I said. These were utterly amazing. It's the large portobello mushroom tops stuffed with a sausage, onion, & cheese mixture, topped with cheese and tomato. Absolutely amazing. Juicy, flavorful and wonderful.

DSCF7797.JPG
Scooped out mushroom tops

Ingredients:
    Giant Portobello Mushrooms
    Mozzarella Cheese
    Sausage
    Onion
    Breadcrumbs
    Seasoning (Paprika, Cayenne, Garlic, S&P)

DSCF7798.JPG
Yummy cheese fungus

Method:
    1) In a bowl combine your uncooked sausage and a couple handfuls of shredded cheese, one chopped onion, bread crumbs, and pinches of seasoning. Mix by hand.
    2) With a spoon scoop out underbelly of mushrooms and dispose.
    3) Fill underside of mushrooms with meat mixture.
    4) Top with cheese.
    5) Top with slice of tomato.
    5) Top with more cheese.
    6) Bake in pre-heated oven at 350F for 30 minutes.

DSCF7799.JPG
Smack a tomato on top!

I'd like to try this with some feta, but as is this stuffed mushroom recipe is amazingly yummy!

DSCF7800.JPG
Oh my gosh this are the best mushrooms evar!

I have a friend (really, I do) who stuffs them with crab, cream cheese and parmesan. Mmmmmm...
A man living in a world where men are no longer necessary.
February 17th, 2010, 10:58 pm
Fecund Stench

You could really do anything. These were out of this world!!!! Seriously one of my new favorites. We used the low-fat 4.5g turkey sausage available at Wal-Mart with the white cheese because we're watching what we eat.... but beef, or real pork sausage would be amazing in this. I think I'm going to make some stuffed peppers or tomatos soon too.
February 18th, 2010, 8:04 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I don't scoop them - I like the flavour in the gills and just remove the stalks. I like to crumble some Stilton on top because I find Mozzarella too bland and boring.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
February 18th, 2010, 11:20 am
A Person

A Person wrote:I don't scoop them - I like the flavour in the gills and just remove the stalks. I like to crumble some Stilton on top because I find Mozzarella too bland and boring.

I was hoping for some Monterrey Jack, but the Wal-Mart we went to only had Mozzy in the big bags.
February 18th, 2010, 3:45 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Food