·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Harris Teeter Jingle Song

by Liv | Published on November 12th, 2005, 12:15 pm | Food
Harris Teeter

It wasn't too long ago Harris Teeter was barely more than an copycat Piggly Wiggly. Unfortunately I can still remember jokes about Dolly Parton buying Harris Teeter and renaming it Hairy Teeters. I didn't think it was funny then, and I still don't now. Needless to say, today Harris Teeter is an upscale shopping experience. It's My Harris Teeter according to their jingle. They come out and say it...

It's the little things by far.
It's the people that make who we are..
It's a part of you & a part of me.
There's no place I'd rather be...
My Harris Teeter.

And now that we have that damn song in our heads....

Every time I've went into my Harris Teeter I've been astonished at how everyone is so friendly. Maybe its the fact the I'm used to Food Lion's "We Suck, You Suck" Employee mantra... but generally the people at Harris Teeter are neighborly... yeah that's the word. One time I went into the store with my two kids, and was having a horrible time balancing hanging onto the kids and pushing the cart. An employee walked up to me and said I'll help you M'am. The bonus was he was even cute. He even loaded my groceries in the car. When I dropped the baby blanket and didn't even noticed. He picked it up, wiped it off and wrapped it back around the baby. How can you not love this place??? But my favorite part of Harris Teeters is the Sub Bar.... Oh My God... This is so-o much better than the crappy Chicken at food lion. Made fresh while shopping, I can go home with my groceries and not have to actually cook. The kids love it and they taste great. Guess what? They even have my soda. This is what shopping should be... Give me a break Food Lion.... I want my Harris Teeter.

Mmmm, I think all Food Lions are gross. I guess Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods seem to be cleaner, a little more expensive, but cleaner. I got spooked when some manager guy (dark hair and dark goatee) at the one on West Market in Greensboring was checking me out. I'm a dude, and gay too, but you know, he was a little too creepy by following me around and smirking. I gigged him and dropped off my basket of crap and I've never been back. Look out Hairy Teeters, you have a new customer! Tripp
January 28th, 2006, 2:55 pm
TriadNCTripp

Food Lion: Clean, YES!(GOLDEN GATE STORE)
Prices: YES
Attitude of employees: Stinks!
Having to put your own items on that check-out belt?
A BIG FAT ZERO! Until Food Lion corrects this stupid step, I will only go there for the specials!
Now for Harris-Teeter: (the one at Golden-Gate)
Clean, Most of the time
Prices: Fair
Attitude of employees? OK..nothing to write home about!
This store has consistantly gone down-hill with the influx of new employees. Arrogant, Sassy, and definitely NOT the pick of the litter. The old days were wonderful!
What to watch out for: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR REGISTER RECEIPT! THEY ARE NOTORIOUS FOR OVER-PRICING AND CONVENIENTLY "FORGETTING" TO SCAN YOUR VIC CARD!
Love their friendly employees! PISGAH CHURCH STORE IS A+.
3-22-06
March 22nd, 2006, 12:08 pm
sick-a-poor-service

Hey congrats! I had no idea they even had any contests. BTW, was this the new one on Friendly? That store rocks.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
January 10th, 2007, 7:51 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Super-Taster wrote:The multiple entrances are bizarre and confusing, perhaps frightening. The main foyer is a narrow traffic jam when there are more than 3 people in it. The layout is weird--huge empty spaces, tight aisles, badly organized sections -- especially refrigerated foods. Cramped confusing produce section. Outside, there's a cart area taking up an entire sheltered walkway, so you're forced to walk in the rain--if, by chance, you've walked out the wrong exit, which you will. Oh, and there is NOT enough parking. What where they thinking?

Ummm, they weren't thinking. Apparently only the architects/engineers that finished at the bottom of their class are hired by ANY firm in Guilford County.
January 24th, 2007, 11:51 am
rumface

They probably designed it the way my does designs things. She puts "pretty" as priority #1 and will try to put funtionality in there somewhere IF there's room.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
January 24th, 2007, 12:00 pm
BecauseHeLives

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of grocery stores, it was the age of Harris Teeter.

I've been in friendly center's Harris Teeter on several occasions now, an I'm still amazed by every time I go in it. It's utterly shocking that you can drive 10 minutes from that Harris Teeter and find people homeless and hungry, but inside this cathedral of food, the warm aromas of edible delicacies collected from throughout the world, sit neatly packaged for consumption by hordes of SUV driving Greensboro citizens.

Friendly Center is Greensboro's Rodeo drive, and it's the anchor store of Harris Teeter that bring loads of wealthy Greensborian's into the shopping center.

5444guilfordanimalshelter 088.jpg
ABOVE: Notice the architecture, as if the entire shopping center is focused around Harris Teeter. Framed for the Gods above to shine their blessings down like some ancient algorithm to ascend local shoppers into the doors of this religious experience of food purchasing.

9278guilfordanimalshelter 080.jpg
ABOVE: It's easy to overlook the details of this extreme-shopping experience. Notice the ice crystals hanging over the frozen food section.

1248guilfordanimalshelter 079.jpg
ABOVE: Notice the Dinosaur Dog Bones. This is obviously for very rich people and their very rich dogs. My dog only cost $50.00 from the Guilford County Pound, so there's no way I'm spending 8.99 on a freaking bone the size of a Volkswagen.

971guilfordanimalshelter 078.jpg
ABOVE: Yes my friends, I've finally found Vernors. Get your butt over and try some. It will blow your MIND! (Soda isle, top shelf... looks like above)

More pictures courtesy of my 4 year old in the Harris Teeter Rocket cart:
January 25th, 2007, 5:22 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

As a Harris Teeter associate, I figure I can offer some insight to this.

Before you're hired, you go through numerous training classes, all of which will beat "great customer service" into your head, whether you like it or not. ("Give 'em the Pickle" is their infamous phrase). But as painful as these classes are, it really pays off as far as real-life customer service.

Basically, we're your servants. If you can't find something, we'll help you find it. If you forgot something at the register, we'll offer to go get it for you. If something is damaged, we'll run back and get you another. As far as carryout service, we're made to offer it to 4 main groups (elderly, pregnant, parents with small children, or handicapped), but it mainly comes down to common sense. If you have a small child and one bag, most won't offer, but if you're perfectly fine, yet have a full cart load, we will.

Returns are also another thing we're famous for. One day on break, I went to get a pre-made sandwich and they had some off-brand kettle chips above it, so I figured I'd try it. When I got back to the break room, one of the managers was back there and I commented how bad the chips were. Much to my surprise, she said I could just go back and return them because I didn't like them. Half a bag later, I got my $1.06 back. I'd like to see Food Lion do that...

And one last thing before I end my tirade- I was talking to another associate one day about experiences at Food Lion. (She mentioned the one by highway 150, but I'm not familiar with that one). She was 8 months pregnant and on WIC, and when she finished checking out, she asked for help out and the bagger said that he "couldn't." Once she got to pushing her full cart to the parking lot, she asked another employee, "Look, I'm 8 months pregnant and in bad shape, can you please help me to my car?" and was once again met with a "no." That's just totally unforgivable. If it were in a HT, she would have likely been asked 3 times, "I'll be happy to carry that out for you, ma'am" (We can't ask in a form of a question, so no "Paper or plastic?" or "Would you like some help out?" Beats me)

So, after all that. Harris Teeter > Food Lion. Even if there's one on every corner.
July 2nd, 2007, 10:52 am
goheels681

In my area of NE TN we had ton of Food Lions starting in the early 80's. I'm talking about at least a dozen stores in the greater Tri-Cities. Now we have exactly one and it's located in a small town about fifteen miles away. They started out great and did have lower prices than a couple of home-grown grocery chains and a few brands and types of merch the others didn't like Harris She Crab Soup, Salt Mackeral, Fresh Croakers & etc. Unfortunately, all of the FL stores eventually sucked on many levels including pricing (even with their discount card), cleanliness, often selling goods well past their expire date, dented cans, surly employees and more. While they still seemed to do a decent business in town, they managed to end up closing all of their stores within the area except the above noted 'country' store and it has very stiff competition about two miles away from the area's most well-known local chain that has about 100 stores and a NASCAR race they sponsor at Bristol. Food Lion (Belgium-owned unless something's changed recently) needs to get it's act together (as does Belgium). Winn-Dixie, Food City and Kroger make it seem more like the local Save-a-lot than a legitimate grocery store chain. We sincerely miss the Winn-Dixies stores that bailed a few years ago, they had the best guava jelly (Deep South brand) and mango ice cream! I so wish we had W-D and Publix stores here like they do in FL and even in Nashville. Publix isn't the cheapest but they have a selection of goods incliding store-brand items such as juicers and many grocery items (even in-house sushi chefs) that's incredible.
November 1st, 2008, 3:05 am
MauiMan

After what seems like eons, Piggly Wiggly has achieved an almost cult status among teen and young adult women in the Southeast. All because of a tee shirt. Even though they've not had stores in our part of the world in over thirty years, many local girls stop by their stores in the Myrtle Beach, SC area to pick up their lovely pink pig tee shirts. I kid you not, they are popular among not only the high school girls but also the college girls! I think my son's loverly girlfriend has even left one of her's here at my house somewhere and my teen daughter last wore it. I could never imagine that PW's pig could ever become a fashion icon but yet it has!
November 1st, 2008, 3:16 am
MauiMan

Return to Food