·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Kabuto Greensboro - Banzai!

by Liv | Published on July 13th, 2010, 9:27 pm | Food
kabuto_japanese_steak_house.jpg

We all know Kabuto. If you grew up in the Piedmont you probably took field trips there as children, dates there as adult, and nothing quite does Japanese justice like having a Japanese guy named Emerson cook you dinner. He cooks, he slices, he dices, and he looks and sounds just like Mr. Miyagi. "Banzai!" For those who don't know what Kabutos is, it's a Japanese steakhouse and sushi parlor just of Wendover avenue in Greensboro.

A kabuto (兜, 冑) is a helmet used with traditional Japanese armour as worn by samurai.

kabuto_japanese_steak_house_3.jpg

Ren, my daughter who turned six today asked to go to Kabuto for their birthday. She got her wish. (Thanks to the make-a-Liv foundation.) If you go, I joke not, ask for Emerson. He puts on a great show, and treated everyone at our table great. He even sung to her in Japanese. Coincidentally her middle name is Danielle. We joked as she ate. "Wax on, Wax off Danielle San."

kabuto_japanese_steak_house_4.jpg

What to eat? Well there's only one thing. THE SAMURAI! It's as simple as that. Rib-eye, Shrimp and Chicken. Piles of rice and veggies, soup, salad, and fried bananas. Need I say more. I ordered up a beer, and before I knew it- a steaming pile of flaming Japanese food with dipping dishes filled with sauce were before me. It's a massive nosh-up. Probably about the most food I've ever seen from a restaurant like this, and it tastes amazing. You might be taking some home in a styro container, but you'll be nibbling on it before long.

kabuto_japanese_steak_house_2.jpg

Even better is if you take your chef two canned-goods for the urban ministry, you get a children's meal for free. The food is outstanding. The entertainment enjoyable, (Who doesn't love FIRE!!!!????) and the idea of having a social dinner with 6-8 strangers is a unique wonderful experience you just can't get to many places. (Did I mention FIRE!!!????) Shan recommends the plum wine. I tasted it, and totally agree!

It's not cheap. Dinner was mid $70.00, even with the coupon, and the tip added another $15.00... but I'd say it was all worth it. Definitely good food at Kabuto. I just wish they were apart of the I-Dine system so I could have gotten AA miles for it, though I can't complain... one little girl's birthday wish came true. Banzai Danielle San!

Kabuto Japanese Steak House
    1617 Stanley Road
    Greensboro, NC 27407
    (336) 852-5550

Kabuto is far better today than it was years ago in its incarnation at Friendly Shopping Center. Until that closed out, Arigato was the better Teppanyaki steak house. But the current place is very cool, with its open, airy entry/waiting area, good food and (in our experience) terrific cooks.

Of course, it's expensive, but you get 2-3 meals' worth of food, so it works out to be a good value.
July 14th, 2010, 9:34 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Banzai!
July 14th, 2010, 11:21 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I could dig some Japanoms ...

I remember going to Arigato when it was Kyoto fantasy. I think I went to Kabuto once, and that was back when it was in Friendly Center.

And speaking of Friendly Center, what now occupies the restaurant that used to be The Elms?
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
July 14th, 2010, 11:33 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Of course, it's expensive, but you get 2-3 meals' worth of food, so it works out to be a good value.

Plus a good colon cleansing! :mrgreen:
July 14th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Pineview Style

Return to Food