·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

What to do with left over Thanksgiving turkey: Chili. Recipe

by Liv | Published on November 27th, 2010, 5:57 pm | Food
what to do with left over oven turkey.jpg
So it's been awhile since we had a recipe on Greensboring. Here's what I'm doing in my kitchen tonight. I'm turning left-over Thanksgiving turkey into chili. It's really simple with my Nosh cookbook, the official cookbook of Greensboro. (shameless plug). <cough> (stocking stuffer).

Now since my parents were in Cuba cruising with Castro during the holiday, we spent Thanksgiving together just the four of us. We had a huge turkey (30 lbs), and a freezer full of leftovers. Shannon froze some away, and I grabbed one of the Tupperware containers down tonight to make some scrumptious turkey chili for dinner. I took about 3-4 lbs down and stuck it in a large pot and mixed it with approximately 2 batches of the Chuck Wagon Chili recipe in the book:

what to do with left over thanksgiving turkey.jpg

Ingredients:
    (This is approximately a double batch from the book, cut in half for 2 lbs of turkey or less)

3-4 pounds of leftover Thanksgiving turkey
    28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
    28 oz can of water
    2 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 fresh diced onion
    6 tablespoons chili powder
    4 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoon paprika
    2 teaspoon of cumin
    2 teaspoons of sugar or sugar substitute.
    2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
    1/2 teaspoon of onion powder.
    1/2 teaspoon of cayenne powder
    2-4 Tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
    pinch black pepper

turkey chili recipe.jpg

Method:
    Basically I partially thawed the turkey just enough to remove it from the storage container, and then combined all ingredients in the pot and simmered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to break apart the turkey. Chopped up an onion and tossed it in:
    tukey and onion chili.jpg

It doesn't get much more simplier than this.
    how to make chili from a thanksgiving turkey.jpg

The end result is deliciousness on the cheap. I'll top it with some pickled jalapeños, some cheese, a bit of sour cream and side it with a Guinness Beer. Bon Appetit!

Return to Food