·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Pulled Pork BBQ Recipe

by Liv | Published on October 5th, 2006, 4:05 pm | Food
Knuckle's BBQ, supposedly a long standing Greensboro tradition seems to be releasing family secret recipes to the blogospher via their site. That's it darn it. I'm hungry.

There are many sauces to compliment the "Pulled-Pork", wait a minute, my Dad was the first to open a Barbecue Restaurant in Greensboro back in the 30's and I've never heard that term until recently....isn't that a trip?
Moving along, there are many sauces out there...vinegar based, catsup based....and lord knows no telling what other kind, but my favorite is "MY SAUCE"! It has a hint of onion because I use my Juicer ...! So either use bottled onion juice or Juice an onion beforehand! I can remember my Dad cooking his barbecue sauce in a huge pot....and he floated lemons on top! You could smell the aroma throughout the kitchen of the restaurant and it would actually open your head up like a decongestant....

Deb's Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup bourbon
1/2 cup Catsup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 Onion - Juiced!
2 tbs Brown Sugar
1 tbs Worcestershire (whats that here) Sauce
Pinch of Red Pepper (or more, depends on you!)

Mix the ingredients in a saucepan and boil slowly for about 10-15 minutes.

I would love the rest of the knuckle's recipes, the link to the knuckle's site is broken.
November 9th, 2008, 1:12 am
[email protected]

Dunno, apparently they've decided to remove their blog from the internet, and it's not in the archive. Consider us lucky to have this recipe, I guess.
November 9th, 2008, 9:57 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Can you actually buy onion juice in the store?
November 10th, 2008, 9:06 am
Pineview Style

Pineview Style wrote:Can you actually buy onion juice in the store?

I wondered the same thing. I will have to check it out later at the grocery store.
November 17th, 2008, 7:56 am
baerlondark

baerlondark wrote:

I wondered the same thing. I will have to check it out later at the grocery store.

ours used to sell onion, garlic and ginger juices. Save your money- buy onions, garlic or ginger and grate. Wrap the gratings in muslin or cheesecloth and wring out the juice. Fresher, stronger and no preservatives.

Liv, I have to take exception to your subject line. You gave a recipe for barbecue sauce, NOT pulled pork. Pork barbecue is not cooked in the oven, a crock pot, or over propane. To cook the pork, you need a pork butt ( not BHL, although I can understand if there's any confusion) and a good rub mixture. When Mr. A can get to his computer, I'll ask him to give you his recipe. You then cook the pork over a REAL hardwood charcoal ( good god, not briquets) fire at about 250-300 degrees F until it's done ( give yourself at least 10 hours; could be as many as 18 or more until internal temp is around 180 F ( we go that high in order to have some collagen breakdown and render off some fat.) Do this right and you really don't need sauce...
The Rapture already happened. All the good Christians are gone. We're stuck with the rejects.

"Why would anyone pray in private where no one can see you?"- BHL
November 17th, 2008, 12:58 pm
C. Alice

C. Alice wrote:
baerlondark wrote:

ours used to sell onion, garlic and ginger juices. Save your money- buy onions, garlic or ginger and grate. Wrap the gratings in muslin or cheesecloth and wring out the juice. Fresher, stronger and no preservatives.

Liv, I have to take exception to your subject line. You gave a recipe for barbecue sauce, NOT pulled pork. Pork barbecue is not cooked in the oven, a crock pot, or over propane. To cook the pork, you need a pork butt ( not BHL, although I can understand if there's any confusion) and a good rub mixture. When Mr. A can get to his computer, I'll ask him to give you his recipe. You then cook the pork over a REAL hardwood charcoal ( good god, not briquets) fire at about 250-300 degrees F until it's done ( give yourself at least 10 hours; could be as many as 18 or more until internal temp is around 180 F ( we go that high in order to have some collagen breakdown and render off some fat.) Do this right and you really don't need sauce...

I live in an apartment so the whole "REAL hardwood charcoal fire" part would probably have my landlord at my door today and me evicted next month. Any suggestions on cooking this in an oven?
November 17th, 2008, 1:02 pm
baerlondark

My other half jumped in to share his suggestions for those who are stuck using an oven.

He says... for you to start with a "rub" to coat the meat before cooking. A mix of kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, brown sugar and garlic powder makes a good, basic rub recipe.

Set the oven temp somewhere between 250-300 degrees (ovens can hae an amazing range of temps despite what they're set at- some have " cold" or " hot spots" too, and we both recommend getting a kitchen thermometer to test yours), have a big drip pan underneath, cook the pork butt directly on the oven rack (fat side down),and walk away. It's done when it falls apart and you can pull the bone free from the meat. I say cook to 180 internal temp but he says 190-200 is better in terms of tenderness and reduction of excess fat.

Bon appetit!
November 17th, 2008, 6:29 pm
C. Alice

C. Alice wrote:My other half jumped in to share his suggestions for those who are stuck using an oven.

He says... for you to start with a "rub" to coat the meat before cooking. A mix of kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, brown sugar and garlic powder makes a good, basic rub recipe.

Set the oven temp somewhere between 250-300 degrees (ovens can hae an amazing range of temps despite what they're set at- some have " cold" or " hot spots" too, and we both recommend getting a kitchen thermometer to test yours), have a big drip pan underneath, cook the pork butt directly on the oven rack (fat side down),and walk away. It's done when it falls apart and you can pull the bone free from the meat. I say cook to 180 internal temp but he says 190-200 is better in terms of tenderness and reduction of excess fat.

Bon appetit!

C. Alice,

Thanks for the pointers! I'm all over it- I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it turns out :mrgreen:
November 19th, 2008, 2:28 pm
baerlondark

Frankly I don't eat the stuff... but back when I posted this link, I felt many people do... and it's an odd thing when a restaurant starts posting recipes.... it is generally speaking, not long before they wise up and remove them... as they have....

Except they forgot about Greensboring. (Begin theme song)
November 19th, 2008, 5:13 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Food