·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Balut - Finger Licking Good. (Fertilized Duck Eggs)

by Liv | Published on October 20th, 2006, 2:00 pm | Food

First and foremost, last weeks Friday Thing was a bit postponed while I attempted to keep myself from doing major harm to myself. Work has been crappy, home has been crappy, and crap just keeps breaking. I've barely had the time to eat a good meal. But I will try to live up to expectations by bringing you this week's best of the Internet.

Balut, it's an unfertilized duck egg which has grossed out more Egg fans then any other dish. It's popularity has grown lately due to shows like Fear Factor and Survivor. I'm still debating to this day, if given a chance would I actually try to eat one.

Luckily this week I stumbled upon this blog of FoodTube which allows me to experience eating the Balut Egg without ever having to leave my laptop.
Yeah!

On a trip to Manila in May this year I was invited to try something called "Balut". I'd seen it advertised on home-made signs at the side of the road and in shopping centres. Samantha, who took these pictures, told me what it was - a boiled fertilised duck egg, almost ready to hatch.

I had to try it.
A few eggs were fetched from the nearest stall along with a small bag of rock salt and instructions to "eat them while they're hot"

It tasted fairly strange - a little like chicken stock, but not really definitively edible. I would have made more notes on this part, but I was thinking too much about what was to come.
The shell was very thick, like a shell. I cracked it open with the spoon and with moderate difficulty.

I had expected it to taste a bit like scrambled egg, but it didn't. Even with a bit of salt it was deeply strange. The development of the duck had changed the chemical composition of the yolk somehow. It was around a second after it went into my mouth that I realised that I could feel something strangely textured against my tongue. Feather. For a second I gagged, then I swallowed quickly. It wasn't that bad.

Looking down I realised I'd accidentally eaten a good amount of the duck itself and not even noticed. The body had been so soft that I'd munched through a fair amount of feather and bone without realising.
I let myself get the retching out of the way, took a deep breath and went for the head.

And then it was all gone, and much the same. Under the fleshy part there was a large hard, rubbery part that I was told not to bother eating, so I didn't. I passed on the second egg - sometimes you can have just too much of a good thing. All in all it wasn't nearly as revolting as I'd been warned, just a little strange-tasting and surprisingly textured - somewhere between dry and sticky. I'd been told that the smell was revolting too, but it didn't offend me.
Next time I try it I'll take off all the yolk so I can just pop the duck foetus into my mouth. Should be fun.

Back to an old post again!

Blech!!! My goddaughter's mom is Filipino and used to feed her that stuff... balut is a delicacy in the Philippines. Blaaaaaaaaaaaah! And supposedly, the more developed the embryo is (i.e. the crunchier the beak and other hard parts), the more of a man you are. Maybe my goddaughter only ate the less developed ones. :wink:
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
December 17th, 2007, 8:18 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Wonder if you buy balut locally. We need to get someone to go to friendly center and get people to try them (on film) of course.
December 17th, 2007, 8:35 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Wonder if you buy balut locally. We need to get someone to go to friendly center and get people to try them (on film) of course.

I'm sure there's gotta be an Asian market nearby that has them or could order them... ick. ick. ick. Filming the crazyheads who dare to try it would be quite amusing, but be sure to have sacks available (heh, heh, I said "sack" :lol: ) for those who do more than gag. blaaaaaaaaaaah
December 17th, 2007, 9:36 am
Serendipitous

I'm willing to try one...
December 17th, 2007, 10:34 am
Liv

Liv wrote:I'm willing to try one...

...and you ROCK cuz of it... even if that makes you a crazyhead in my book. :wink:

So who else on here is willing to try one? Can we see a show of hands please?

Or better yet, who can we get to eat one regardless of their willingness? The floor is open for nominations... NOMinations....
December 17th, 2007, 10:40 am
Serendipitous

WILL YOU PEOPLE PLEASE QUIT TALKING ABOUT THIS??!!! :shock:
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
December 17th, 2007, 10:42 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:WILL YOU PEOPLE PLEASE QUIT TALKING ABOUT THIS??!!! :shock:

Does that mean "quit talking about it and gimme an egg"? :mrgreen: You may have nominated yourself... :shock:
December 17th, 2007, 10:46 am
Serendipitous

NOMinated:

nomnomnomno128391045611718750.jpg
December 17th, 2007, 10:56 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

What's rather interesting is our (my) visceral response to this. No problem with eating a duck embryo, no problem with eating a duck, but the idea of eating a duck fetus is repulsive. I can't really explain it.

I'm sure I could eat one and would be interested in doing so but I do find the idea repulsive. I have eaten some (relatively) strange things, Prairie Oysters, very fresh (ie moving) sashimi, crickets, meal worms, duck feet, preserved "100 year old" eggs etc. but other than the sashimi I can't say I really enjoyed them. I do enjoy most varieties of sea food and really enjoy Uni (sea urchin).

When you see people making a delicacy out of duck's feet you have to wonder who gets the rest of the duck.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
December 18th, 2007, 12:17 pm
A Person

Okay... get this... I love portabella mushrooms.

Get them in a normal size... and I'm okay...

Get them in the giant size, and I have to scrap the black lung vent tissue from up under it... because it creeps me out.
December 18th, 2007, 12:32 pm
Liv

Return to Food