·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Vernors Ginger Ale Soda Pop

by Liv | Published on November 26th, 2006, 5:22 pm | Food
7364vernors_12pack.jpg
In the last year and half you may have heard me make several references to Vernors. For Northern transplants, you will be all too familiar with the Michigan original soda named Vernors, but for those of you forced to live in the solitude of Greensboro, it is possible you have lived your life barren of this elixir known to be nothing short of a miracle.

As most of you know, I grew up in a suburb of Toledo, Ohio called Oregon. Why was it called Oregon? I have no clue, but then again, the Boro is named after some war hero who road a horse. Anyways Vernors is a way of life up there. In the same way if you asked for tea here, they'd assume you want sugar-tea, in Ohio if you asked for Ginger Ale you'd most likely get Vernors.

For the first-timer, Vernors offers a pop, and fizzle no other soda does. People have been known to spontaneously start coughing our spewing Vernor's out their nose upon first taste. Basically the stuff has enough carbonation to launch a Titan II missile into lower orbit.

If you were sick, it was the cure for the cold. If you were partying, it was the ale in the punch, and most of all it was a monumental occasion when you were old enough for your first Vernors.

Vernors is the one drink that actually takes work to produce. Unlike sodas of today, Vernors still requires an aging process in Barrels to get that authentic taste.

The irony of the invention of Vernor's actually does have something to do with the south, more importantly the Civil war. You see, it's inventor, James Vernor was sent off to war only to return several years later and finding his pharmacy supply of Ginger Ale was still sitting in barrels from many years before. His vanilla, & Ginger concoction had be transformed from it's soda counter version of itself, into something else. It had now became the bubbly Vernors we would all come to know and love.

6784vernors.jpg

Anyhow, I miss Vernors alot living in the south, and was happily surprised when my mom and dad had returned from their trip to Ohio with 2 cases of Vernors. It is without a doubt the nicest of surprises when you can drink a barrel aged & shipped 650 miles, Michigan ginger ale in my North Carolina home.

I'm telling you, it doesn't get much better than that.

Did you bring enough for the rest of the class?

"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
November 28th, 2006, 8:05 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

I grew up in Toledo. I drank Vernors when I was sick and when I felt good. I moved to Minnesota back in 1968.The stores here didn't sale Vernors. :( After all these years today I have a can of vernors sold in a near by store. :D Talk about excited!!! My sister still lives in OH..Oregon as a matter of fact.There is nothing like a cold Vernors Giner Ale.
January 4th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Bonnielee

Found locally at Harris Teeters.
January 26th, 2007, 11:03 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I dunno, I've tried Vernor's and find it to be a mild and mellow ginger soda. Canada Dry and Schwepps were comparatively. Prehaps i jusyt happened onto a bad case or two.

On the other hand, I have found a couple of Ginger concoctions that are truly outstanding if you enjoy both bold taste, and bite in your ginger ale.

One is called Reed's Ginger brew.

The other is called Cock & Bull Ginger Beer.

Reed's is just one of several variations on the theme of "Jamaican Style" ginger ale, but all share several characteristics; a sharp bite on the front end of the drink, a strong ginger flavor thoughout and a sweet finish. I prefer the "Extra Ginger", but other variations include Raspberry, Cherry and regular flavors, all with the same basic Reed's ginger ale taste. Oh, and Reeds is all natural.

Cock & Bull on the other hand is a true Ginger beer, very sharp, almost painful bite, exceedingly strong ginger flavor and very little sweetness. This was origionaly served at the Cock & Bull pub in London and the recipe on the packaging indicaes that a drink called a "Moscow Mule" can be built by adding Cock & Bull Ginger Beer to Vodka and lime juice. I have found that using Stolichnya Vanil and Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice cdrerates a tasty, slightly sweet dring suitable as a replacemant for Mint Juleeps.

Just my $.02
December 25th, 2007, 12:20 pm
Stilgar

I have found Vernors at WINN-DIXIE in Mobile, Alabama I talked to the business managers and they helped me get it. I am so glad to see it now all the time. I tell everybody now.....All my friends from the north are happy now.
December 27th, 2007, 2:35 pm
Rev. Caleb Don Crigger

Winn Dixe??? The chain went Bankrupt up here, and Food Lion is useless.
December 27th, 2007, 3:09 pm
Liv

We are visiting Birmingham AL for the holidays. Vernors is available at Publix but in very limited quantities. I usually clean them out when I come to visit from Salisbury NC
December 30th, 2007, 3:42 pm
Dave

Liv wrote:Winn Dixe??? The chain went Bankrupt up here, and Food Lion is useless.

Food lion!! I thought all grocery stores in the South were called by the rather odd name "Piggly Wiggly".

Still, for stupid grocery store names, you can't beat Colorado. Their Kroger store is called the "King Sooper" for God's sake! It doesn't carry Vernors either.
December 30th, 2007, 4:28 pm
Questioner

Questioner wrote:Still, for stupid grocery store names, you can't beat Colorado. Their Kroger store is called the "King Sooper" for God's sake! It doesn't carry Vernors either.

I remember that from when we almost moved there! There was also some burger joint in Denver, all over the city... with the best darn burgers, but I can't remember the name.
December 30th, 2007, 4:39 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:I remember that from when we almost moved there! There was also some burger joint in Denver, all over the city... with the best darn burgers, but I can't remember the name.

Hmmm, how long ago was that? I don't see anything but the franchises around Denver now. Oh geeze! I wonder if you are talking about a strange hamburger place I've seen on Colorado Blvd. Can't remember the name, but it is built like an "A" with its room sharply slanted and going all the way to the ground. I've only seen one of them, but it has been there a long time. I'll try and find it the next time I drive up that road.
December 30th, 2007, 9:12 pm
Questioner

I had to ask Shan... it was "Happy Time" she says, though I can't find them on the interwebby.
December 30th, 2007, 9:19 pm
Liv

Shannon messed up...

I found it... Good Times Burgers.... Damn good:
http://www.goodtimesburgers.com/
December 30th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Shannon messed up...

Well darn! I've never tried them. And yes, I've seen them around in the Denver area. Guess I'll have to try them, although burgers aren't my favorite food by a long shot. :)
December 31st, 2007, 9:36 pm
Questioner

The one we went to, the people were "very" friendly. That's what sort of convinced us we liked the area.
January 1st, 2008, 10:15 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Shannon messed up...

Mmm.... cheezburgers! Mmmmm... I'll have to throw this on my Denver list, not that I know if I'll ever use my Denver list. :|

Questioner wrote:Well darn! I've never tried them. And yes, I've seen them around in the Denver area. Guess I'll have to try them, although burgers aren't my favorite food by a long shot. :)

I'll take your share of burgers! I'll trade you all veggies that I don't want. :mrgreen:
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
January 2nd, 2008, 10:54 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

found Vernors at a Kroger here in Martinsville, VA. Lived in MI moved to south and nobody knew what it was
August 26th, 2008, 12:21 am
wildfirebill

I just finished a 12pack of diet Vernors... God that stuff is good.
August 26th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Liv

2WJN5
I grew up in Detroit in the 1920's/30's . We lived just two or three blocks off Vernor Highway. I remember going to the Vernor bottling plant after school, we kids could have Vernor's gingerale in fountains! I drank my share of Vernors until we moved to Missouri. My Michigan relatives always brought cases of Verniors to me in the ensuing years, as it was not available here. Finally, at long last, a local store had it for awhile........but, now it is gone again. I think I can get Vernors at the closest kroger store--30 miles away. Worth every gallon of gas to get it!!
October 28th, 2008, 9:53 am
Mogal

I picked some up this morning at Harris Teeters.... Not cheap, but I think I'll be making some Boston Coolers later.
October 28th, 2008, 1:22 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:I picked some up this morning at Harris Teeters.... Not cheap, but I think I'll be making some Boston Coolers later.

What are Boston Coolers???
October 28th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Questioner

Vernor's with Vanilla Ice Cream.... sort of like a root beer float.
October 29th, 2008, 7:14 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Vernor's with Vanilla Ice Cream.... sort of like a root beer float.

I suppose I'll have to try it. But I can't imagine how anything could beat a root beer or coke float!
October 29th, 2008, 8:33 pm
Questioner

It's sort of an eclectic thing around here... I wouldn't try it in Michigan, (because everybody has Boston Coolers weekly during the summer) but outside of the midwest.... your bound to stun someone with a Boston Cooler if ever made....

That said... I believe there is also an alcoholic version though I've never bothered to research and when I left Toledo they had yet to grant my drinking card.
October 30th, 2008, 5:25 am
Liv

total wines an more has vernors
January 8th, 2010, 8:32 pm
dz

Return to Food