·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Cheerwine - The Girly Soda

by Liv | Published on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:46 pm | Food

Cheerwine, Is it Cherry? Yes. Is it Wine? No.

Damn.

Okay, so I like the stuff, I love the stuff, but I seriously have to question the companies ambition since they still seem to remain generally a "North Carolina thing". You see here's the problem, and a little advice that the CEO of Cheerwine might not have figured out. You've yet to deal with the homophobia side of the drink.

What are you talking about Liv?

Seriously, try offering a cheerwine to a man who is a tad unstable in his manhood and see what happens.

It generally leads to some odd comment to defer the reality that:
It turns your lips red.

For women, we don't mind it as bad; especially, if I'm trying to match my ruby red slippers and get back to Auntie Em.

The truth is I think men, may be a tad bit homophobic of Cheerwine and other similar red cola products. I mean Brutus the weightlifter might just look a little goofy showing up at the gym with bright red lips? Hey then again this might just be a great marketing ploy for Cheerwine, like the milk mustache did for the dairy industry.

The answer to all of this is a straw of course. Sure you'll still have a funky looking tongue, but at least you guys don't look like Tootsie when you show up to lay bricks at 8 AM. But most of us don't carry straws, so I recommend Cheerwine either supply one with each can or proactively market red lips as being cool.

Hold up.... manly men drinking from straws??? That might be worst. Oh never mind.

No better drink on this earth, well maybe a Crown & seven.

50+ male and have been drinking Cheerwine for probably 35 years. Possibly why they are still in business.

Does that make me, as Ahunald woud say, a "girlie man"?

If so i'll wear the name with pride.
inkslinger336

First of all, let me just say that I've really enjoyed discovering your blog lately. Great stuff. Keep it comin'.

That said, I must object about the idea of a male aversion to Cheerwine. I love it. I always have. My local Wendy's stopped carrying it for a time and I put up enough of a stink to bring it back. It's even better with rum in it. It's even better than that with Malibu rum. Is that a girlie drink? Big deal. I love it and I don't care who knows!

I've lived here in the Triad all my life and have never run into a masculinity issue regarding Cheerwine. If you have, I suggest that maybe it's due to someone else's limited experience. I challenge anyone to knock my Cheerwine out of my hand and learn just how feminine it makes me.

:D
Robert Pipkin

I challenge anyone to knock my Cheerwine out of
my hand and learn just how feminine it makes me.

That is the single best line I've ever heard in a blog post comment.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll be blowing Cheerwine bubble out my nose for the rest of day on that one.
Liv
Just sit there and watch me!

Cheerwine rox my socks off when I where them.

Try Sundrop also.
JQPublic

Moved away from Gboro a little over 2 years ago and now everytime we come home to visit we bring a good sized supply of cheerwine back with us. We share with our friends and now they too are addicted to that delicious cherry taste. I was just in Gboro last week and I'm sippin on Cheerwine tonight in DE. :-)
MrsTay18

I grew up out in Greenville NC and periodically have a case (and a t shirt) shipped to me in Calif. Chicks dig the Cheerwine, and I still do, too. Just not a case all at once; it's easy to get Cheerwined out.
[email protected]

Liv wrote:[
Seriously, try offering a cheerwine to a man who is a tad unstable in his manhood and see what happens.
It generally leads to some odd comment to defer the reality that:
It turns your lips red.

:? Is my manhood still in question if I say I don't care if my lips look like Cher's, I just think the taste sucks?
The Rain King

Not at all...

We kind of think you're cool for being like that.
Liv
Just sit there and watch me!

Liv wrote:Not at all...

We kind of think you're cool for being like that.

Merci. :wink:
The Rain King