·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Neeses Sausage

by Liv | Published on December 19th, 2005, 8:14 am | Food
Neeses Sausage

One of the rules of living in Greensboro, is to know what things mean. For instance when someone says tea, they mean sweet tea. When someone says "all the way" when ordering hamburgers it means: Mustard, Chili, Onions, & Slaw, and when someone says go buy sausage, what they are actually saying is go buy Neese's sausage.

Try sending a family member visiting from out of state to the store, and they'll probably bring home what momma likes to call "pork cookies", you know, the pre-cut, pre-sliced, tastes like dog meat sausage patties. Tell them to look for the square block of wax wrapped oink oink, and they'll look at you like your a nutcase.

Of all the things Guilford County is known for, this might just be its greatest accolade. Advertised as fresh since 1917, I'm confident if it wasn't for that weirdo Jimmy Dean, they might have the market cornered.

Personally It's definitely in my top three. My favorite all time sausage is that which can be purchased at Cracker Barrel. A smoked sausage that is definitely the best I've ever had. Secondly would be Neese's, and third would be Jimmy Dean's new Bold Sausage, which reminds me a lot of Bojangles and their sausage.

Neeses Breakfast Sandwich Recipe

I almost forgot my handy dandy Neese's Sausage Breakfast Sandwich.
Not recommend for those with high cholesterol, diabetes, or pregnant women under the age of 15.

Ingredients

1 Package of Neeses Sausage
2 or More Slices Sour Dough Bread
Mustard (or Gray Poupon)
Mayonnaise
2 large eggs
1 small package of cream cheese
Several Slices Of Ham
Several Slices Of Swiss Cheese
Several Slices Smoked Bacon
1 small stick of butter

Directions
1-Scramble eggs.
2-Cook Bacon Strips & Neeses Sausage
2-Butter Bread, and grill one side of each piece, melting cheese on non-grilled side of 1 piece.
3-Once grilled, take the bread slice without the cheese and add cream cheese.
4-Add Bacon, Neeses Sausage, Ham, Eggs, Mustard & Mayonnaise- And Compile Into Sandwich Form.

Eat not the sausage made by Neese's for it is full of fat and unsavory parts. Instead, partake of Jimmy Dean's for it is full of the whole hog.

I grew up eating Neese's too, but I am no longer a dumbass.
December 19th, 2005, 11:14 am
Fecund Stench

Where on earth do you live in Greensboro? I don't recognize it from most of your posts. This might have applied to a rural area, like where I came from, but not here. And by the way, Greensboro is not boring. That's an overused, cynical joke about a Greensboro that ceased to exist a long time ago. I am often perplexed by your attitude about Greensboro.

I guess it bugs me because it perpetuates a stereotype about the South that I keep hoping left with Gomer Pyle and Ellie May Clampett. Greensboro is a vibrant, diverse, educated city. This stereotyping affects you too, you know. When you leave here, prejudiced views of North Carolina follow you. Please stop feeding them.
December 19th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Where on earth do you live in Greensboro?

Down the road from Cooters garages, and across from the Boar's nest.
December 19th, 2005, 2:19 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Fecund Stench wrote:Eat not the sausage made by Neese's for it is full of fat and unsavory parts. Instead, partake of Jimmy Dean's for it is full of the whole hog.

No, I am sure that you are and will always be a dumbass.

Neese's is the best.
April 13th, 2008, 9:37 am
NC Boy

Fecund Stench wrote:Eat not the sausage made by Neese's for it is full of fat and unsavory parts. Instead, partake of Jimmy Dean's for it is full of the whole hog.

What ever Sarah Lee has started putting in Jimmy Dean Sausage, it should not be allowed in food. The quality and taste has suffered . I used to use Neese's and Jimmy Dean interchangeably, but no longer. Jimmy Dean seems to be flavored with dishwater. And maybe there are parts of the whole hog that should not be used.
May 14th, 2008, 11:20 am
Yancy Caswell

Well lately I've been dieting, and I've attempted (but not found) a diet sausage for my occasional breakfast or other recipe. I must say hands-down Jimmy Dean is the least fat according to the packaging (I buy the Hot) and Neese's comes in a close second. Some of the off-brands are almost twice the fat.
May 14th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I love Neese's sausage but since I now live in Northeast TN, I have to get it when either my sons goes snowboarding in WNC or visiting the sister in-law's family near Burlington (who introduced it to me). Jimmy Dean's sage sausage is okay but for some reason, every time I cook JD, it always burns in the bottom of the skillet unlike any other sausage I've ever tried. I don't know if it has too much sugar or what the problem is.
October 31st, 2008, 10:54 pm
mauiman

I just had a complaint.. This is a complaint from a lot of your used to br customers.. You sausage has gotten so expensive ,In this economy ,,it just looks like you could at least Have a few coupo ns. If you want to sell more give us , faithful customers. a little BREAK. I read your Profit report on line,, .You can afford to Issue some coupons. They used to be in our Paper quite frequently!! Give us a break. thank you .Imogene Beshears 6200 Stanlyville Dr. Rural Hall N.C. 27045
October 3rd, 2010, 11:13 am
Imogene Beshears

Return to Food