·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

TJ's Deli - Please come back to Greensboro. +Sicilian recipe

by Liv | Published on August 27th, 2009, 7:51 am | Food
tjs_deli_storefront.jpg

Imagine the picture. It's five years ago, and I've just gotten back to Greensboro from my 5 years away out west, I roll in to town with my mouth watering, and my eyes glazed over ready for my #60 Sicilian from TJ's Deli. This is the place I grew up at. Our "hangout." They use to have a location right across from Brassfield shopping center, and I spent much of the later part of my High School dinners eating at this establishment. One friend loved their French dip, another their salads, me it was always the Sicilian sandwich. In fact I missed this sandwich so much, that while living in California, my only alternative was to try and duplicate it myself. (See below) Don't get me wrong, mine is good.... but TJ's? Well, it's better. I'll admit it. Part of it was I had no idea what went on it. There was no website, and I had no instructions... today there is, but I still think you would be hard pressed to duplicate it. So when I get back to NC, and drive over to the shopping center that it use to be in, and see bearded bald construction workers remodeling the place for another merchant who when we ask them about it replied "What's TJ's"- I dropped to my knees, put my arms in the air and screamed "Why God, Why?"

tjs_deli_voyage.jpg

Fast forward to yesterday. I was familiar of the existence of the Winston Salem locations from some previous Internet research. So when I found myself driving through Winston yesterday, and hungry, I thought; "let's see if it's in the GPS!" Sure enough, there was "TJ's Deli"and we drove right to it. "Oh yes... pure sweet victory!" Hallelujah, the gates of heaven open up.... and there was me and my sandwich and a rock ballad soundtrack to the finest moment of my day.

tjs_deli_hot_sicilian.jpg

...And OMG... this is one of those moments in life that doesn't occur very often. Like reuniting with your long-lost twin you never knew you had, or finding out your favorite child-hood toy is getting made into a live-action movie. (Still waiting for 'Jem'.)

tjs_deli_hot_sicilian_sandwhich.jpg

First let me explain. Everything, and I mean everything at TJ's Deli is AMAZING!!!! Secondly... Their chips are untouchable in comparison to anyone else. It's like deep-friend potatoes cooked by the hands of the Gods and sprinkled with flavors that only come from utopia. If you want my recommendation though, what you have to try, then it's the Hot Sicilian..... you won't regret it.

60.Hot Sicilian
Ham, pepperoni, grilled onion, banana peppers, thousand island dressing, tomato sauce, provolone cheese,
lettuce and tomato. 6.55

Shan, was smitten by the Pastrami:

tjs_deli_reuben.jpg

...order that with some fries and prepare yourself to begin contemplating moving to Winston Salem. It's life changing, no it's as if someone made a deal with the devil and gave their souls so they could sell the most perfect deli-sandwich in the world. Everything is fresh, hand-made, insanely flavorful and dripping with gooey hot goodness.

tjs_deli_door.jpg

My only complaint? There is not one in Greensboro. I don't know what we did to upset these folks, but the chamber of commerce should put an incentive together to get this place back. We could make the Sicilian the mascot of Greensboro. Claim that we're the a "Spicy City" (There's your slogan) and all live happily ever after dripping a hot Sicilian all over ourselves. It's like sex for the taste-buds.

TJ's DELI
    1211 Silas Creek Parkway
    Parkway Plaza Center
    Winston-Salem, NC 27127
    Phone: (336) 748-0155
    Hours: Mon-Sat 11am-10pm Sun 12pm(Noon)-10pm

tjs_deli_menu.pdf
    (1.76 MiB) Downloaded 13 times

If you're really in a bind and can't get to Winston you can always make your own Sicilian Sandwich (#60) to get you by:

TJ's Deli Sicilian Sandwich Recipe
Sicilian Food and recipes may seem to have some vague familiarity with most American palettes but most people only know that is generally a spicier variation on the Italian foods. Sicilian food which name extends from Sicily Italy is generally a reference to food that originated from Southern Italy. To be technically correct, Sicily once a separate entity from Italy is as most islands secluded varied from the mainland cuisine, linguistics, and culture.

Ingredients:
bread rolls of your choice.
Italian marinara
Provolone cheese
bacon
pepperoni
mayonnaise
ham
shredded lettuce
sliced tomato
1000 island dressing
yellow sliced banana peppers
grilled onions

Method:
1.Cook bacon & grill onions.
2.Lightly grill ham and pepperoni on griddle.
3. Warm marinara.
4.Assemble sandwich with mayonnaise, dressing, banana peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, and meats.
5. Place on cooking sheet in preheated oven at 250° F for approximately 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Okay, sometimes Liv freaks out about a sandwich and I'm like , "yeah it's okay". This place seriously got me excited! I'm the one that went in to get the food. I walked in a little intimidated as I got the "you ain't from round these parts is ya?" look. But the aroma of the food and Liv's lack of TJ's ,broken heart, panic attack thing kept me moving towards the counter. I got up there and thought, ohh, everything on the list looked good. I knew what Liv wanted so that was easy, but when I saw that pastrami was the special for the day my mind was made up for me. The employees are super friendly and the cook even did me a favor in heating the pastrami and adding banana peppers to it. A little trick I learned from Togo's in Cali. It was so good. My particular attention was drawn to the rye. It was thickly cut (yumm), with seeds and they toast it perfectly on the griddle with butter so that it has that hint of flavor from the other griddled items of the day on it. Super delicious. I would so get it again, but looking at the menu I just might have to try something different because it literally all looks good. They make it after you order it so it takes a few minutes. it gave me just long enough to get hit on by a construction worker by the soda fountain and to take a peak at the eclectic salad bar and soup items. Good, good, good. So way kicks Penn Station's a**.
"Are you disrespecting me and my family?"
August 27th, 2009, 8:57 am
shannon
Try My Cupcakes.

The pics on there website makes me want to go back right now!!!

Atleast Nfidel can't say I don't go to Winston anymore.
August 27th, 2009, 11:51 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

You will see a TJ' s Deli back in Greensboro at some point.
January 31st, 2010, 11:44 pm

Guest wrote:You will see a TJ' s Deli back in Greensboro at some point.

And I will be there everyday when it does....
February 1st, 2010, 9:17 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Food