·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Del Taco's Macho Breakfast Burrito Recipe

by Liv | Published on January 4th, 2006, 8:19 am | Food
Del Taco's Macho Breakfast Burrito Recipe

I know I generally talk about southern foods on my blog, but since I'm in recipe mode for the week, and had this one sitting around I thought I'd share.

If your not familar with Del Taco, its a widely popular fast food chain primarily in the western 3/4 of the United States. While known as a Mexican restaurant similar to Taco Bell, they also serve breakfast, and American foods such as hamburgers, and chili cheese fries. Living in California for 5 years, the one thing I missed was breakfast. No Bojangles, No Biscuitville. It was either eat at Mcdonalds or forget it. Except for Del Taco. I fell in love with their Macho Breakfast Burrito. Its an addiction that doesn't come lightly, since one its Macho, and your reading the blog of a girl that has a pink bathroom and secondly its over 1LB which pretty much means you can forget about lunch after eating one of these.

Now living back in North Carolina, there is no Del Taco. Only the promise that someday it will come. Till then I'm forced to mimic this beloved breakfast item by making it at home. So without any further ado, I give you my personal take on Del Taco's Macho Bacon & Egg Breakfast Burrito.

Ingredients
Tortillas
Fresh Eggs
Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Chopped Red Ripe Tomatoes
Shredded Lettuce
Bacon
Sour Cream
Taco Sauce (Your choice of hotness)
pinch of southwest seasoning

Directions
1-Scramble eggs.
2-Cook Bacon Strips & Break Into Pieces
2-Warm Tortillas Over Grill.
3-Place Eggs Into Tortilla, Add Tomatoes, Lettuce, Bacon, Cheese, Sour Cream, and Taco Sauce.
4-Roll Into A Burrito

Two things I miss about So Cal.

#1 Police Chases every afternoon.

and

#2 Del Taco

I've mentioned this restauraunt a few times here and there. Most east-coasters have never heared of this Taco Bell Rival... but, they clearly caught a West Coast Gang member who puts on an entire drama in order to get their delicious tacos for free.

Laist:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgJzEmOioho&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgJzEmOioho&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Stealing $15 of Del Taco food for you and your buddies can land you a maximum of seven years in prison. That's what two accomplices are up against in a case where three men filmed themselves tricking Del Taco employees over the phone to give them a free meal and then posting it on YouTube. The video's "star," Robert Echeverria, who Rialto police said is a known gang member and was "crying like a baby" at the station before making a plea bargain to serve 30 days in jail with three years of probation.

"How To Scam Del Taco" was posted on YouTube (embedded below) on February 22nd (it has over 20,000 views so far) and after a tip to police, the three were soon in custody. The two boys posted bail, but Echeverria remained as he could not produce enough money to follow suit.
March 20th, 2008, 10:33 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

If they ever put a Del Taco up, Taco bell would shut its doors!
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
March 20th, 2008, 10:40 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Actually... Taco Bell has "way better" hot sauce.....

But....

I agree, Del Taco's menu is stunning and breathtaking in comparison to Taco Bells offering.

The major issue is Taco Bell's lack of breakfast out here....

In LA even Taco bell has breakfast... though it sucks.

If you ever end up in the mid-west, there is a chain called "Taco Mayo"

I do think we will be seeing a Jack N the Box... and their "Delightful" tacos very soon which will officially bring "Game over" to many local franchises...

Especially the damn Wendy's that raised their .99 cent menu to 1.19...
March 20th, 2008, 11:03 am
Liv

I tried a Jack-in-the-box a few counties over and was pleasantly surprised. But Im not sure it would end any competition. What is strange though is the lack of choice in fast food around this area. Its really stagnant. Krystal burger FINALLY opened an NC restaurant in Burlington but it closed down shortly there after. I don't think the McDonalds/Wendys crowd got the concept.

Just let me put this out there, if either Krystal or White Castle wants to consider a Greensboro location, I would shop there at LEAST once a week!!
March 20th, 2008, 11:53 am
Sanjuro

There used to be a Del Taco in High Point, S.W. corner of Eastchester/Westchester and North Main street. It was torn down to build a big box drug store about 10 years ago.
March 20th, 2008, 4:17 pm
hughie

I never remember a Del Taco in High Point...

Are we sure we're talking about the same place?
March 20th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Liv

Liv wrote: The two boys posted bail, but Echeverria remained as he could not produce enough money to follow suit.

Well he did say his clip was "Nickel-n-Dime Productions" after all.

Wow, thats one hard core gangsta. :lol:
March 20th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Sanjuro

Now I'm annoyed with myself for not checking out Del Taco on my recent roadtrip, on the West coast.

Beware- No Taco Bell or Del Taco in England. I even sent a message to Taco Bell to tell them to get over here.
March 21st, 2008, 3:40 am
smiler125

I think even if there was a taco bell there, I'd steer clear from it....

I kind of find it ironic since I hear there are so many "KFCs" in Britain and over here most of the new KFC's are KFCs/Taco Bells combined....

I guess Taco Bell would seem sort of out of place since you eat beans with eggs for breakfast.... That's really weird...

I'm going to go up to a burger joint and ask for Chili and Slaw!!!!!!!
March 21st, 2008, 9:37 am
Liv

Well I can't help you with getting a Del Taco (I too think Del Taco is better than Taco Bell) but police chases go on several times a day in my neighborhood but you have to watch them in person because the TV stations don't carry them.
March 21st, 2008, 5:42 pm
Billy The Blogging Poet

Billy.... that's your calling man!!! Get a video camera, and start Billy's Bad Boy Police Chase Channel on Youtube!
March 21st, 2008, 5:55 pm
Liv

DSCF6351.JPG
On the stove right now is a version of one of my favorite breakfast treats. It's our low-fat version of Del Taco's (A west coast fast food restaurant akin to Taco Bell) Macho Bacon & Egg Breakfast Burrito (Original Recipe Here.) It's a well loved food around our household here, and just a few grams of fat with the changes we've made. It's funny how burritos have started to show up here on the east coast now. Sonic has one, and McDonalds has added two. The problem is they're all crap. Who the hell (Sonic) puts pancakes on a burrito? That said I still hope and pray one day Del Taco will come to the East Coast.

DSCF6350.JPG

What we use for our Diet Del Taco Burrito Recipe is this:

Tortillas (Preferably Wheat, but it wasn't available this morning.)
Egg Beaters
Favorite Blend of Low Fat Cheese (Cabot's is a good choice)
Chopped Red Ripe Tomatoes
Shredded Lettuce
Turkey Bacon (Or, if you'd like to splurge "Center Cut" Bacon)
Fat Free Sour Cream
Greensboring's Salsa

DSCF6349.JPG

The recipe is pretty self explanatory. Cook the bacon, and eggs, stuff in a warmed tortilla and top. It's healthy, low-fat, and a great way to start the day.
August 30th, 2008, 10:08 am
Liv

Return to Food