·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Shakey's MoJo Potatoes ® Recipe

by Guest | Published on October 15th, 2010, 10:40 pm | Food
miss_g wrote:Im from a small town in texas called san angelo. we used to have Shakey's many years ago. I find it intresting to find out we were the only ones to these potatoes Rojos. No wonder i couldn't ever find the receipe.

Yep, me too!
They opened one here in CA and I ran in as soon as it opened. Nope - mojos. What gives?

Nikko wrote:Sorry to disappoint some of you. this restaurant originated in the philippines

Liv got it right, you got it wrong Nikko. :oops: I knew "Shakey" Johnson from working the Sacramento Jazz Festival for 25 years. I have eaten at his original restaurant on J Street in Sacramento MANY, MANY times and listened to him play dixieland jazz on the piano and banjo many, many times. My son was just in the Philippines last February and made a point of going to a Shakey's there. Trust me, "Shakey" Johnson is rolling over in his grave right now!
October 20th, 2010, 1:56 pm
themom51

Nikko wrote:Sorry to disappoint some of you. this restaurant originated in the philippines

:think:
You know what's really funny, Nikko? The fact that it clearly states on the Shakey's Philippines website that Shakey opened his first restaurant at 57th & J Streets in Sacramento, CA. You have Internet so you should really make sure of your facts before making statements like that. As my son always says, "Google is your friend".

http://www.shakeyspizza.ph/
October 20th, 2010, 2:03 pm
themom51

HunkFace wrote:
Im from a small town in texas called san angelo. we used to have Shakey's many years ago. I find it intresting to find out we were the only ones to these potatoes Rojos. No wonder i couldn't ever find the receipe.

I am also from san angelo and ran into the same problem. I think they changed the name due to San Angelo Central and Odessa Permean being such loathed rivals back in the 70s, 80s and 90s (Permean refered to themselves as MoJo and wrote it all over everything whenever they came to town)

They called them rojos cause we hated mojo in midland the r was for rebels
December 25th, 2010, 11:29 am
ben.rey

it was bought out by someone in the philipines, the "r" in rojos stands for rebels from midland tx cause we hated mojo (odessa permian)
December 25th, 2010, 11:31 am

Return to Food