·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Sub Station II Food Review

by Liv | Published on April 18th, 2007, 5:25 pm | Food
steak_and_cheese2.jpg
Randleman Road is not a normal place. It's most definitely an oddity of misplaced businesses. The Burger King is a Chinese Restaurant, The KFC is now directly next to a KFC, and Sub Station II occupies an old Hardees.

I had never been to a substation till last Saturday when I decided to stop in after driving by there and noticing they have a drive-thru. For me it ain't worth going if you've got to go in.... That, and I had to be home in like 30 minutes with food before Shannon starts her job.

I wouldn't even write about this place, except for the food was so distinct, so differently good, I think I found an excellent replacement for my long removed Miami Subs.

While I'd love to say this place is cheap, it isn't. Nor is it all that expensive. It's average. The price doesn't reflect the ease with which you can call in your order and pick it up on the way home. Nor does it really express how really good these sandwiches are.

For about $10.00 you can get a cheesesteak and fries, which will knock you off your leather reclining 6 way powered seats and into the trunk. Be sure to ask for it "All the way" to get your daily does of healthy vegetables.

To get to the heart of the sandwich, it's not a Philly, and not completely a NY Cheese-steak. It's something in between a Miami Style and a New York Style which would geographically place it somewhere in South Carolina. That's oddly where this business got it's start. It's a combination of vinegar, mayonnaise meat, cheese, and veggies that give you a uniquely tart steak and cheese. It's literally distinct but recognizable. The best part is it's authentic, addictive, and one of the few places in Greensboro you can get a Great cheesesteak.

Sub Station II
2414 Randleman Rd
(336) 370-9136
Doug Fricks, Owner

I was rasied in Greensboro, and have since moved to the pacific northwest and I have to say that I miss the food more than anything, I Enjoy a good ol sub station sub myself, and I miss chicken bowls from kyoto express, normal hot dog chili, cheerwine, I could go on and on BBQ miss the Q
April 19th, 2007, 4:11 pm
bradswork

Hubby & I love that place! Just wish it was in a better location. We haven't eaten there much lately but, hopefully soon again.
January 31st, 2008, 6:49 am
Bessa1

Oh gosh... bringing this thread up has me craving this stuff..... can't go... must diet....
January 31st, 2008, 8:05 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Oh gosh... bringing this thread up has me craving this stuff..... can't go... must diet....

I'm trying to be better about what I eat before my arteries really end up clogged. mmm... cheezsteaks. right up there with cheezburgers. WANT! but do not has... :cry:

But definitely DO NOT WANT that canned nonsense! Such a crime!
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
January 31st, 2008, 8:54 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

I LOVE this place. When I used to go to Charlotte I looked for Sub Station 2's because I loved the subs so much. We'd eat at the one in Columbia SC when passing through there too. There's just something about the sub rolls S-S 2 uses that make every sandwich taste great. :D :D :D

Now I'm hungry just thinking about it. :roll:
"Those who embrace the deity of Christ rather than the morals of Christ are not religious…they are pseudo-religious and dangerous to our national interests.”
- Thomas Jefferson
January 31st, 2008, 10:48 am
C. Alice

Yeah, my dilemma is I just bought a $40.00 digital scale that reads down to the .100th of a pound... It's made me a lot more conscientiously aware of what I eat...

Stuck that puppy next to the fridge.... great deterrent.
January 31st, 2008, 11:15 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Yeah, my dilemma is I just bought a $40.00 digital scale that reads down to the .100th of a pound... It's made me a lot more conscientiously aware of what I eat...

Stuck that puppy next to the fridge.... great deterrent.

When I wasn't a Christian I had a scale that would yell rude and vulgar comments when you stepped on it and had a bad BMI. :|
Jan 29, 2008: Mark this day.. "ignorance is bliss" and I actually completely agree.. now if you'll excuse me I'm going to hurl myself off the building.- Sanjuro
Consider it marked.
January 31st, 2008, 10:41 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

Are you sure that hasn't already been eaten?? :lol:
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
February 4th, 2008, 2:25 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Actually half of it was... That.... there... made the ride home, and before Shan started to eat again... I said wait!!! "let my take a picture!"...
February 4th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Liv

I LOVE THIS PLACE THE FRENCH DIP AND SCRAP SALAD ROCKS....MIKMA WAS HERE
October 3rd, 2008, 11:19 pm
mikma

I was craving Sub Station the other day.... but couldn't do it... It would devastate the diet....
October 4th, 2008, 2:34 pm
Liv

I am soooo sorry but that is a nasty looking sandwich, Jersey Mike's is much better. Plus I hear the owner Doug Fricks is a PRICK.........
March 30th, 2009, 9:16 pm
[email protected]

I've been to Jersey Mikes. They're good... but Sub Station is unique. Jersey Mikes seemed "average" to me.
March 31st, 2009, 8:38 am
Liv

Return to Food