·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

The Search for Cincinnati Chili at The Airport

by Liv | Published on May 6th, 2007, 10:40 am | Food
5024combos.jpg

So I'm less than 2 weeks till I leave for California. I've been going over my itinerary and for some odd reason have been flown into the Cincinnati airport with about a 4.5 hour layover. So I think to myself, what the heck is there to do in Cincinnati, what are they known for? Is there going to be some good food or shopping in the airport? I mean, I always look forward to flying into Memphis because I can get the best damn ribs in the world. LAX prior to 9/11 was always fun because you could carry on a conversation with someone with a red dot on their head about ascension and middle eastern beliefs, and buy a book for $5.00 that would blow your mind.

No, I had no clue what could possibly be in Cincinnati. Wait! Chili, yeah Cincinnati is known for Chili! Isn't it? Dad happens to drop by around this time, and I ask if he's ever flown into Cincinnati, and he advises me it's in Kentucky. At this point I begin to wonder if my dad's better days are behind him, and speculate whether I should call "Old Folks Anonymous". After-all I grew up in Ohio till I was 8, and was born in Toledo. I was sure Cincinnati was in Ohio.

Turns out Cincinnati is plagued with lots of fog, and after a prank joke from a Kentucky politician suggesting the Cincinnati airport be built in Kentucky, the people rallied behind the "joke" and the rest is history.

The Irony of the whole thing is even though the airport is built in some rural farm land in Kentucky it's just minutes from the Ohio border. The majority of traffic is Delta passengers, and that probably means if your in Cincinnati then you're too damn cheap to fly a airline that can land somewhere expensive.

So without any further understanding of what my 4.5 hour layover will be like, or exactly what possible excitement or trouble I can get into while I spend my time in this Kentucky-Ohio Limbo, I look up the CVG airport on the Internet, and hunt down some authentic Cincinnati chili to buy. I discover that Delta is in terminal 3 of the airport, the largest of the 3 terminals. A little more research indicates the majority of Delta's flights are in concourse B of Terminal 3. Doing a quick search I discover a restaurant called "Gold Star Chili". Hmmm... I was right!!!!

So I Google them up and discover their website which states:

Looking for Cincinnati chili? You found it with Gold Star Chili. We offer the best Cincinnati chili, offering fast casual chili, and cheese coney's.

Oh yes, I've hit Cincinnati nirvana. God forbid the passengers who will be riding with me from Cincinnati to San Diego later that day.

I prefer Skyline to Gold Star. But either way, Cincinnati chili is always a treat.
May 7th, 2007, 10:07 am
debris

This photo was taken while they were still building the new tower for Lunken Airport in 1937. (Only 4 miles from downtown Cincinnati)
Very thick fog in Cincinnati apparently. I think I'd go for a less 'foggy' airport too.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
May 7th, 2007, 10:08 am
A Person

debris wrote:I prefer Skyline to Gold Star. But either way, Cincinnati chili is always a treat.

That's what my dad said too... but alas they have none at the airport.
May 10th, 2007, 9:15 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Inspired by this post, I cooked up some Cincinnati chili the other night. We were out of spaghetti, so I used rotini. But it was still yummy!
May 10th, 2007, 9:23 am
debris

When we first got to cincinnati, I tried the Wifi and they wanted 10.00 a day. But somehow, I just tried, and it's letting me on for free? Hmmm... Any how, I can officially say Cincinnati Chili is freaking awesome. The chili-mac is so great.

The flight from Charlotte to here was painful to say the least. Short but painful. The seats were meant to fly midgets in corsets, not full figured family members who had there trip planned out by how many restaurants they could hit.

I had a real life cowboy sitting in front of me, which was obvious by his 10 gallon hat that hung over the back of his seat and into my forehead.

Best part was the free peanuts which you can easily arrange on the guys rim of his hat. Next stop San Diego, after a 2 more hours on the ground, and another 5 in the air. Wish me luck, If I get wifi at the hotel, I'll be sure to update.
May 17th, 2007, 2:09 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Food