·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Authentic Mexican Restaurant Style Salsa Recipe

by Liv | Published on June 14th, 2007, 11:10 am | Food
4327salsa.jpg

So here's the dilemma. You go out to any Mexican Restaurant and they always have the same salsa. It's basic, but fresh and delicious. The problem though is that you can never, get it, anywhere. The stuff at the store is hardly authentic, and never comes close to the authentic Mexican restaurant variety. Why? Because Old El Paso has to add vinegar and other nasty crap like acidic chemicals to preserve the crap as it sits for months at a time on the shelves of your neighborhood grocery store.

Let's first sort out exactly what salsa is. Translated from Spanish it basically means sauce. More precisely it doesn't involve cowboys nor a "New York City" tag line. Real salsa is either red or green, and not chunky. Red Salsa is your normal variety of tomato based taco sauce. Green is called "Salsa Verde". Latin Cultures also have something called Pico De Gallo which is a combination of chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro and seasonings. Perhaps combining Pico De Gallo (Beak of Chicken) with Salsa, you would have a familiar TeX-Mex Salsa, but the truth is it still would taste nothing like it's fresh original format because everything in the store has been boiled and processed.

So what is real salsa? Real Mexican Salsa is so simple, so easy, it's going to blow your mind when I tell you how easy it is to make. But unless, you grew up in Tijuana, or have a Hispanic friend willing to divulge the secrets of true Mexican cuisine, then you wouldn't know how to make it. The Internet is all but void of authentic Salsa recipes. No one has ever published a recipe for true, authentic, Mexican, Salsa.

Until now.

We had to help 4 Mexicans across the border to get ahold of this, and sold our child's social security number to get it, but here it is:

Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa Recipe

Ingredient

Method
    1) Food process everything. (or shove it all in a blender)
    2) Check Hotness, and add more of what you want.
    3) Done.

note: chilling overnight, can increase intensity and heat

Now wasn't that easy? Works great on Eggs (huevos), tacos, nachos, and does a great job at impressing your new illegal immigrant who moved in two doors down. The stuff lasts a few days in the fridge but I'd be surprised if it lasts through the night as good as it is.

A quick note, is while fresh Jalapenos seem like a great idea... they just don't work. Get the jar or canned jalapenos. The juice is as much apart of the recipe as any of it, so scooping them out a spoonful at a time until the proper heat level is reached is the perfect way of personalizing your Salsa recipe.

For my Gringo readers who don't cook with cilantro... it's in the produce section, not the spice isle. It's about $1.00 and has a very distinct smell. Remove the stems, and pick the leaves off.

UPDATE:
    Due to the questions that have arose, I thought I'd post a few more pictures. Unfortunately I couldn't find my good digital camera but here's a few snapshots to help you along in making the Salsa:
    mexican_restaurant_salsa_1.jpg

Here's the style and type of Jalapenos you need to buy. You can buy the "Americanized" version if you want, but generally in the Hispanic section these are cheaper, and somewhat more authentic.
    mexican_restaurant_salsa_2.jpg

This picture gives you an idea of about how many Jalapenos I use. I generally like the Salsa hot so I use a tad bit more. Notice the pickled Jalapeno juice which is liberally added in addition to the the peppers themselves.
    mexican_restaurant_salsa_3.jpg

Here's the cilantro, and again.... above average, as we love the taste.

mexican_restaurant_salsa_4.jpg
    mexican_restaurant_salsa_4.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 53751 times

And since there was some question about what kind and size tomato sauce to you.... Here's the brand I grabbed tonight. This whole size can make one batch.

This recipe is very good but I needed to tweek it to satisfy my taste buds. I added the following items to give it a little more zing:

1. 1/4 onion finely chopped with food processor
2. A dash of olive oil
3. A dash of vinegar
4. 1/2 squeezed lime

After this, the recipe was perfect.
February 3rd, 2008, 3:41 pm
bkindred

My partner when she makes my recipe does add some lime to it...

We also have another ingredient which I didn't post that does about the same thing you've posted... A bottle of Extra hot "Valentina Salsa Picante" (clear glass bottle, black cap, black label with red & green writing) available at most Mexican tiendas... It's a vinegar based hot-sauce, renowned as one of the worlds finest.... about 5 drips to 10 drips of this stuff in your sauce adds a vinegar tartness... if you want to go down that road....

For the American palette though it might take some adjustment.
February 4th, 2008, 9:51 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

The problem with this recipe and the subsequent alterations is that pickled jalapenos and/or vinegar don't belong in a true restaurant style salsa. They both make the concoction taste fruity and preserved, ala the store bought salsa that we're trying to avoid here.. Probably a % of green chiles and some cayenne will get you closer..
March 30th, 2008, 12:24 am
J-ro

Yes.

Also, I just remembered that I failed to include the fresh cilantro. Would that affect the flavor that much?
May 6th, 2008, 12:34 am
silentpuppeteer

To get the "restaurant" flavor, you might try "Mexican Style" crushed tomatoes. Most grocers carry this brand with canned tomato products. You can use dried cilantro in a pinch. I always add the juice from the canned jalepenos to get desired flavor.

If you don't like the canned version... Boil 2 fresh jalepenos and 3-4 small tomatoes until the skin peels off. Remove from the water, then food process with salt, pepper, cilantro, and garlic to flavor. If you like your salsa HOT, just add 1or 2 more jalepenos.
May 9th, 2008, 3:49 pm
nic

I find that if you chill it over night (or at least for a few hours) it can achieve it's best flavor. I always add the lime and a small yellow onion (put in the food processor), but other than that this is the best recipe I have found.
July 29th, 2008, 5:26 pm
tmpagrl

Sounds pretty good, but the cilantro is wasted on me. If you put any of it in anything, that's ALL I can taste, and to me it tastes like soap. I guess that's why most wines are wasted on me. My palate just isn't that refined. But neither is the rest of me, for that matter. :wink:
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -- Albert Camus

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
-- John Steinbeck
July 29th, 2008, 8:25 pm
The Rain King

no way! this recipe is bad. there is no way in hell that authentic salsa is made with pickled jalapenos. you need to use fresh ingredients and a molcajete. this recipe is the reason why so many mexican recipes get butchered. people are so ignorant and have a bad sense of taste. this disgusts me
August 4th, 2008, 4:22 pm
sergio

Where do you think pickled Jalapenos come from? Some Mexican who started canning their Jalapenos so they'd have them all year.

It's as authentic as you're going to get. The ghettoness of the pickled Jalapenos is apart of the recipe.... though feel free to grow some fresh one, then pickle, and boil and store in jars till your ready to make Salsa....

Since my children are 25% Mexican, my partner is Hispanic, and her grandmother and grandfather jumped the fence to get here, I (think I) can attest many Mexicans, as almost anyone in the modern world- use commercialized foods as apart of their historic and cultural dishes.

Feel free to use a molcajete for the seasoning... It's an impressive dinner table conversation starter... but if your dead set on authenticity... forget about the oven or stove top for cooking, because you better be over an open fire with stones. Tortillas should be hand made, and don't forget "no English" while cooking or eating....

bottom line, for $3.00 and a couple common items, a normal Gringo can make a formally pleasing "authentic" Mexican salsa without much difficulty. This is what most Mexican restaurants would make as they would not go to such troubles.... but feel free to achieve any level of complexity that pleases you.
August 4th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Liv

well, we are about as white as you can get and we own- and use- our molcajete as well as a tortilla press... for Indian as well as Hispanic cooking.

But we happen to love a bottled salsa we buy at food lion. It costs about twice as much at Harris Teeter so yay FL.
It is Herdez brand Salsa Casera in medium or mild since both are good. i think it is better than your recipe so I double dare you and Shannon to try it. Maybe dump in some extra freshly chopped cilantro before she tries it so it looks like you made it at home yourself.
Herdez also makes a damn good salsa verde and an okay salsa chipotle too.

We also love a good Puerto Rican or Cuban sofrito as a base for different things and when in a hurry you cannot beat the jarred stuff by Goya. And we go through the Goya sazon packets at a record pace and use Goya Adobo- all varieties at the table instead of salt.
Hungry now!
The Rapture already happened. All the good Christians are gone. We're stuck with the rejects.

"Why would anyone pray in private where no one can see you?"- BHL
August 4th, 2008, 5:39 pm
C. Alice

we will also kill for nopales/nopalitos, even those jarred ones by Dona Maria.
August 4th, 2008, 5:42 pm
C. Alice

I used to buy Hernandez before making my own.

Indeed, I'll still choose it in a pinch.... Hand's down this is by far my favorite... The only salsa I've ever had that compares to this is my Mother-in-law's salsa.... She make's one with "Picante V-8" which you can't buy out here which is delicious.... If I can ever find the recipe, I'll post it.
August 4th, 2008, 7:31 pm
Liv

dont get me wrong, i love pickled jalapenos. but some things are better used only on certain dishes. you can make really good pico de gallo with pickled jalapenos. but you are better off using fresh jalapenos for a good fresh chuncky salsa. salsas like valentina and tapatio are excellent to use on tostadas and seafood cocktails. tabasco sauces are good on chili . if you want to make red sauces just boil and soften any kind of dried chiles and blend them along with tomatoes, garlic , onion, and any spices you desire. for a green salsa you use fresh cooked chiles, cilantro, green tomatoes, garlic, onion, and season. these salsas are what you will normally find in authentic mexican restaurants and go with all sorts of dishes but great with tacos. for a good table salsa that goes great on chips...just cook some fresh chiles, canned tomatoes, garlic, chopped onions, cilantro, and season. the best results will be achieved with a molcajete. you can cook fresh tomatoes as well but canned tomatoes are just as good and more convenient.
August 9th, 2008, 8:13 pm

A friend of mine once described cilantro as tasting like dishsoap. I wonder if that would be a suitable alternative if you forget to pick up the cilantro. :?
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
August 9th, 2008, 9:38 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Serendipitous wrote:A friend of mine once described cilantro as tasting like dishsoap. I wonder if that would be a suitable alternative if you forget to pick up the cilantro. :?

There is the supertaster phenomenon and many folks do report that cilantro does in fact to them taste like soap. Huotheses include allergies, a genetic base or who knows what

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/20 ... .Gb.r.html

http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/a ... ng.healthy
August 10th, 2008, 8:21 am
C. Alice

I have never heard of such a thing. Wow.

It's funny you brought this up. We had a discussion the other day the differences in Shan's Latin-American style palette, and my European palette....
August 10th, 2008, 8:50 am
Liv

I like it fresh, fresh tomato,jalepeno, garlic, cilantro, throw in a few chilis and a dash of lemon juice, oh yes don't forget some onion. We should all be so fortunate to grow our own produce, prep and can this stuff so that we can grab a jar all fall, winter and spring.
August 14th, 2008, 12:20 pm
lode

has anybody tried to can this recipie? I have lots of fresh tomatoes on hand, is it possible to make something similar with fresh tomatoes?
September 19th, 2008, 10:08 pm
dan.b

I tried this recipe but boiled 3 large fresh tomatoes instead of using canned crushed ones, and I added lime juice. It was PERFECT!!!! Almost as delicious as my favorite mexican recipe.
October 13th, 2008, 10:27 am
mememe

For a long time I searched for a direct replacement for the excellent and very standard Salsa found in most Mexican restaurants but could not find one. Eventually I developed my own, which I seem to have lost the exact recipe for, which is of no concern since I can rediscover it in an hour or so.

The key to my variation was that I wanted heat without the cilantro or jalapeno taste. (Note that the restaurant style salsa has no green in it).

What I use to achieve this is the addition of a single habenero pepper for heat and sweet flavor. I mix this single pepper with some reserved tomato + juices and liquify it in a small blender. When you add this to the salsa you achieve excellent satisfying heat levels along with the wonderful sweetness that the habenero provides. The balance if the recipe includes white onion, garlic, salt, and a touch of vinegar. As I mentioned before, I misplaced the recipe, but the combination of the above plus the one habenero pepper is a direct match for the restaurant style with the addition of a touch of sweet.

Try it!
November 23rd, 2008, 8:17 am
SalsaSleuth

Dunno... I'm a bit fearful of Habanero peppers. A long, long time ago I had the opportunity to be dared by my friend Tara into swallowing a whole habanero.... In the moments that followed this teenage entertainment opportunity... I can truly say I'd never want to experience again.... Head spins. Exorcism vomit spew.... in the middle of the street puking my brains out....
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 am
Liv

Hey, I usually just read these things, I've never commented. It's all true you can't find any recipes for the restaurant stuff. The key I think is the garlic. Most misunderstood food there is. Garlic has like a dozen diff, flavors depending on how it's cooked and how long. I've recognized the savory aftertaste at the restaurant as being garlic (or aho sp?). I lived on the west coast a bit and I'm plenty familiar w/ Mexican flavor. It's true the pickled stuff is a Easterner problem. It's a Polish and German thing. I'm Polish and German I grew up north of Pittsburgh and I love it but it's nice to get away from it. The Eastern style mexican food here is crap. Nasty cheese sauce over everything- instead of subtle crumbles of queso fresco and the like. Too much cumin- old el paso style- where's the ground beef?- and vinegar yuck. The food I fell in love w/ has none of it. There are plenty roasted jalepenos - none pickled. It's a northern Mexico style I do believe. And I mean northern like Tijuana butted against California. Its a fresh taste that you can't find anywhere else. Actually if you head further south you will find pickled things once again, relishy type stuff w/ radishes and things, it's unique- very good for sure, but the restaurant style salsa is not this at all. Realizing that garlic was the flavor, I tried adding a bit, sticking to a roasted tomato onion and pepper base. ( most mex's I know roast them on the grill before a barBQ but the restaurants probly use crushed tomatoes) I never got the same taste. Roasted garlic, finely minced garlic, I thought it might break down a bit in the sauce but since you don't cook it after you mix it there was still nothing doing. GARLIC Powder. Ah ha. Thank you very much, I use it here and there. Garlic powder is garlic locked permanantly in one state. As you cook w/ it, or not, it dosen't sweeten nor is it completely bitter to start. Even the roasted garlic I tried has a range of flavor from outside to in that screws up the salsa. Makes it taste like garlic and tomatoes- As for cilantro? cmon some people do over do it. Like those who claim they love garlic yet they have no idea how to have it cut to the correct size and get it added at the right time to cook for a decent taste. Chunks of bitter garlic in your food- lovely. Or it gets cooked to much and there is too much of it, it gets sweet oily and kinda disgusting- unless it's sposed to be like that- yes to shrimp no to meatloaf. Cilantro is bitter and clean. Most herbs are either this way to some extent or they are licoricey to some extent. Basil, fennel, and bay are examples of licoricy herbs (fennel seed may be considered a spice???). Bay is more complex and subtle while fennel is striaght forward, leaving the different basils in the middle. The group Cilantro is in are bitter and grassy. It and parsely are straight forward grassy and bitter while dill, and sage are a bit more complex and subtle leaving rosemary and thyme somewhere in the middle. Sage is headed towards flowery- you get cumin, cardamom, saffron etc. in that group, then there is the sweet pungents allspice nutmeg etc. Keep you spices organized in your head as well as the rack. cook w/ them seperately to single them out and understand them, season a simple dish w/ just one of them to see what it can do. Maybe a salad, some fruit, a pudding or a simple cut of meat. If you don't have these skills you're just dumping things in that you don't understand. Once you do understand you can throw out most of you recipes and cook things the way YOU like them. Cilanto is bitter and grassy- "soapy- I used to think cheap watermellon candy was soapy too" It's very simple distinct and fun. It adds a vegetable or garden flavor to your salsa as a reminder of where it came from letting you appreciate freshness, (parsley does this to chicken soup) Other spices would add too many OTHER flavors to the dish masking what you want to taste in you're tomatoes and such and making this taste like a spice rack or something more prepared. Sometimes conjured and spicy is it, sometimes it isn't, and of course there is in between. For this I go for a no on the spice (keep you corn and beans as well). It's uninhibited and inviting this way, tomato, lemon, onions etc. the cilantro keeps it from getting boring (like part way into a bag of seasoned chips) while the garlic and salt give you something to think about and keep you coming back for more (like part way through a bag of seasoned chips). Most people won't taste the "garlic" they won't know why they like it. (poor garlic he's so missunderstood).
January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
tsup tsup

The first time I made it, the salsa turned out exactly like our local Mexican chain here in Central Pennsylvania (after roughly doubling the jalapenos and cilantro). The next time the tomatoes I used had too much salt (name brand canned tomatoes). So my suggestion is to not put in any salt initially. Maybe the generic tomatoes have less salt? :)
May 25th, 2009, 7:16 am
jayinpa

I've made this mexican chicken recipe which goes well in burritos, tacos, enchiladas, etc. I've approximated our local restaurant's burrito dish- it goes well with the salsa recipe posted on this site! :lol:

I've boiled the chicken for 45 minutes, not an hour. You could boil it less than that- chicken ends up very tender.

You won't be visiting your local mexican restaurant as much after making this.
May 25th, 2009, 7:26 am
jayinpa

Return to Food