·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

LandJagers

by Liv | Published on September 30th, 2007, 10:22 am | Food
Okay. Dad went to his reunion. He came back bearing gifts from the great white north, otherwise known as Toledo Ohio. With that said, I've talked several times about my 3 most favorite things from Toledo. Landjagers (Lundehager) from the meat market, Vernor's Ginger-ale, and Tony Packo's (AKA the German Mecca). I got two of the three, yesterday.

Several of you out there have no clue what I'm talking about when I say Landjagers, so I thought I'd give you an explanation, so to speak. If you go up to any meat-market up north you'll see sausages hanging from the ceiling... generally atleast one variation of these are landjagers. Think about your most favorite European fairy tale where its characters set out on a long journey. Landjagers require no refrigeration, and are similar in texture to beef sticks. They can range from mild to spicy, and often will reflect a family recipe of the people that make them. Yes this is what little fat kids eat. I used to be one. And they're so-o good. Who would have guessed that years later, the Atkins thing would make these prime dinner material.

Seriously, if you ever run across a German deli, or similar ethnic store, stop in and see if they have meat hanging from the ceiling. The price is never to bad, and as you can see:
landjager 001.jpg
landjager 001.jpg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 2450 times

A true German will eat Landjagers with a good beer, but due to America's strict drinking age restriction, my childhood memories are filled with landjagers & Vernors. Good thing I have both.
landjager 002.jpg
landjager 002.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
Landjagers: It's what's for dinner!
landjager 003.jpg
landjager 003.jpg (69.99 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
Also great as nun-chucks for midgets.

Hmm now all the landjäger that I've seen has been flattened to a rectangular cross section
landjager.jpg
landjager.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
which I thought was a neccessary chacteristic - otherwise it's just salami :)
September 30th, 2007, 11:27 am
A Person

I've had both. Not sure what causes the squareness.... Might be because of the meat press they use.
September 30th, 2007, 11:30 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Yes they do press them to make them square, I was told it was to improve the packing density (take up less space in your backpack) but I think it's because if they didn't you wouldn't know they were landjäger.
September 30th, 2007, 11:39 am
A Person

I'm almost sure Dunderbaks at the mall has them, if Dunderbaks is still there. Is the mall still there?
September 30th, 2007, 11:48 am
Fec

I haven't been in the mall in over a year. I'll have to check it out.
September 30th, 2007, 11:54 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Food