·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Pizza Hut Sub -70's version

by Kel | Published on October 27th, 2007, 9:55 am | Food
we_have_pizza.jpg
we_have_pizza.jpg (10.98 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
Out here in Texas in the 70's, Pizza Hut used to make a killer sub sandwich...you know where the dressing (Italian I think) would run down your arm...and now they don't. They all seem very generic now, but I'd like to have one of the old style subs. I've been searching for the recipe for years, and trying to make my own, but never seem to get it right. Any ideas? Anyone remember the ingredients and process to make them? I'm hoping someone out there worked for PH and has all the details and is ready to enlighten me.

Kel

Sounds good... Pizza Hut certainly has gone downhill.... So has Little Cesars... I used to love their Crazy Bread.... Mmmm.
October 27th, 2007, 10:00 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Yeah, what DID happen to Pizza Hut's quality? They used to be the place to go years ago and now its just awful. I guess the home delivery market more or less killed them.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
October 27th, 2007, 10:31 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Is it this? Pizza Hut Supeme Sandwich?

Supreme Sandwich

Melted mozzarella, pepperoni & salami,
topped with crispy lettuce, tomatoes
and mayonnaise.

They still have it in Saudi Arabia it appears.

I haven't found a pic, etc... although I'm searched the big 3 search engines.

However it seems almost eerily like my TJ Deli's clone recipe and their Sicilian sub... Might give it a try?
November 10th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Liv

Kel wrote:
we_have_pizza.jpg
Out here in Texas in the 70's, Pizza Hut used to make a killer sub sandwich...you know where the dressing (Italian I think) would run down your arm...and now they don't. They all seem very generic now, but I'd like to have one of the old style subs. I've been searching for the recipe for years, and trying to make my own, but never seem to get it right. Any ideas? Anyone remember the ingredients and process to make them? I'm hoping someone out there worked for PH and has all the details and is ready to enlighten me.

Kel
Hi "Kell' Hope this helpd found this on inet Ingredients for Pizza Hut Subs
1 sesame seed hoagie roll
2 slices salami
2 slices ham
1-2 slice mozzarella cheese
2-3 slices tomatoes
2-3 lettuce leaves
creamy Italian dressing, as needed
Directions
1Preheat oven to 350°F.
2Take out the sesame seed Hoagie bun and open it up carefully, making sure not to split the bread into two separate halves.
3Lay the open bun flat on a baking sheet.
4On the sandwich put down two slices of salami.
5Top with two slices of ham.
6Place the mozzarella cheese on top of the ham.
7Bake just until the cheese melts.
8Remove from the oven.
9Top with the tomato, lettuce, and then drizzle with the creamy Italian dressing.
10Close the sandwich and enjoy.
March 13th, 2008, 5:34 pm
chez67

Too Cool... Now, looking at the ingredients, I can say I think I've had that... It seems eerily familiar.
March 14th, 2008, 8:07 am
Liv

The pizza hut hoagie has been around until a couple of years ago at most Pizza huts. In fact you can still get it I believe if your Pizza hut is a "Pizza Hut Bistro", not sure if it is exactly as it was years ago though. The website says, "Bistro Hoagie: A Parmesan crusted toasted hoagie with Black Forest ham, pepperoni, salami, melted Provolone and topped with tomatoes, Romaine lettuce and our special Italian dressing."
April 9th, 2008, 3:18 pm
ted

I found this page looking for a recipe from a long time ago as well. My mom took it and made them at home though,
I think she used hot dog buns, putting pepperoni and mozzerella all over them and putting them in the oven. When
It came out she'd pour ranch dressing all over the place. I was 8 years old and this was 22 years ago, so I'm not too sure.
I asked her last night and she doesn't remember Pizza Hut or herself making any such thing.

So, did they have a ranch dressing version? I'm not sure what creamy Italian dressing is. Either way, the way I remember it sounds good enough to recreate.
April 27th, 2008, 2:30 pm

"Pizza Hut Bistro"

Wow. Now there's a novel concept. I've heard that the only thing different from a regular Pizza Hut is that the waiters dress up. There's a few in the eastern part of the state. Pass by one in Havelock on the way to the beach.

What did happen to Pizza Hut? That used to be THE place to get pizza. Now most of them, at least in Raleigh, have closed.
July 2nd, 2008, 8:41 pm
Pineview Style

pizza_hut_coupon.jpg
pizza_hut_coupon_2.jpg

When computers and pizza combine... the result seems a bit hilarious.
February 13th, 2009, 10:12 am
Liv

No wonder most of the Pizza Hut's have closed up shop around here....

$23.80 for a large hand-tossed pizza? That's a bit too steep, regardless of what toppings you get on it....
February 13th, 2009, 1:38 pm
Pineview Style

I'm so big on making my own these days, we rarely order out... Back when I was working late I'd sometimes bring Domino's and papa johns on my way home from work... But I haven't been to a Pizza Hut in years....
February 13th, 2009, 3:16 pm
Liv

They seem to have produced one equilateral triangle and several chord segments, which are not the isosceles triangles the customer asked for.

Clearly geometry is not an employment requirement at Pizza Hut.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
February 13th, 2009, 5:45 pm
A Person

Liv wrote:I'm so big on making my own these days, we rarely order out... Back when I was working late I'd sometimes bring Domino's and papa johns on my way home from work... But I haven't been to a Pizza Hut in years....

I think it has probably been about 2 years since I have been. I don't really eat pizza that often any more and when I do it's usually from this joint near work that has the 2 slices and a drink for $4 and some change. Good stuff!
February 13th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Pineview Style

I did great at Algebra, great at Geometry.... then sucked at Algebra II

Sequels always suck.
February 14th, 2009, 9:49 am
Liv

I know what you mean! I grew up in Oklahoma and loved them!! I'm pregnant now, and that's what I'm craving - didn't know they had stopped making them altogether - and I'm in Texas- so if you can't find them, neither can I.
This is terrible!!
March 26th, 2009, 5:06 pm
trubelle68

1 sesame seed hoagie roll
2 slices salami
2 slices ham
1-2 slice mozzarella cheese
2-3 slices tomatoes
2-3 lettuce leaves
creamy Italian dressing, as needed
Directions
1Preheat oven to 350°F.
2Take out the sesame seed Hoagie bun and open it up carefully, making sure not to split the bread into two separate halves.
3Lay the open bun flat on a baking sheet.
4On the sandwich put down two slices of salami.
5Top with two slices of ham.
6Place the mozzarella cheese on top of the ham.
7Bake just until the cheese melts.
8Remove from the oven.
9Top with the tomato, lettuce, and then drizzle with the creamy Italian dressing.
10Close the sandwich and enjoy.

That's it! I worked at a Pizza Hut in the late 70's. That's the Hoagie; there was also a ham and cheese, and a really good italian sausage sandwich, the sausage was not a link, but a loose meat, topped with cheese, then baked. No lettuce or tomatoes, Fantastic. They also had Cavatini and Cavatini Supreme, a pasta dish. The Deep Dish Pan pizza was good. But back in those days, they had good food, a big salad bar in the center, and wait staff. Now it's horrible, completely inedible. Shame, too.
February 4th, 2010, 12:44 am
Roo

Return to Food