·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Chicken Soup Recipe

by Matt | Published on November 3rd, 2007, 12:53 pm | Food
Soup.JPG
Soup.JPG (106.87 KiB) Viewed 733 times
I don't know if you can call this a recipe because I just kinda made it up as I went along. Tastes better than anything I've gotten out of can.

Picked up a whole chicken, but cut up chicken complete with gizzards. These are usually pretty cheap to get.

Got a large pot (a big one, like dutch oven size) of water going. Fill the pot with about 3" of water. In that pot a tossed 1/2 stick butter and some garlic gloves. Nice it got warm enough to melt the butter, I put in the chicken and simmer it slow until the chicken meat was no long pink.

Removed the chicken, let it cool, and deboned it. Tossed out the gizzards and skins, cut up the chicken in bite-size pieces, covered, put in the fridge. I put the large bones back into the broth and cut up some carrots and celery. Simmered those slow.

In a separate pot I cut up a large onion, green bell pepper, a few carrots (but not many because we're not big cooked carrot fans) more celery, and garlic. I took a few cups of the chicken broth from the main pot and put it in that pot. Filled the rest with water. I boiled those until they were falling-part-tender. Let them cool a bit and then blended them until purified. Dumped that into the broth. It thickens the broth and is good for hiding vegetables from kids who aren't fans of them. Adds great flavor to the broth.

The purified vegetables come out a nice puke green color. But when you mix it in with the broth, it combines to make a nice thick broth color. If you add too many carrots, it looks nasty. So just cook those in large chunks.

I started this late last night so I put it in the fridge over night. You get a good about of fat from the chicken skin. That fat floats to the top while in the fridge and cooling overnight so you can just scoop that off and toss it if so desired.

Warmed up the soup this morning and took out about 4 cups of broth from it and put into another pot. In the other pot, I also added a can of chicken broth and water and boiled a 12-ounce pack of egg noodles. Dumped the hole works into the main soup pot.

I added a little bit of instant mashed potatoes to give a little extra thickness because that's just the way I like it. You don't have to.

When the wife wasn't looking, I grabbed a handful of sharp cheddar cheese and mixed that it. It melts away with no evidence except a little extra zing to the soup. :P

Salt. pepper, and other seasoning to taste. It turned out REALLY good.

Daughter is on her seconds bowl. Wife refuses to try it because of a comment I made this morning when I was half awake and grumpy. Be she keeps walking by and smelling. I'll break her soon! :twisted:

That looks great!!!! My grandma used to make a chicken noodle soup that looked like that... Which makes me think... I think it's time to raid the recipe closet.
November 3rd, 2007, 3:10 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Thanks.

Dang pot is half gone already!
November 3rd, 2007, 3:38 pm
Matt

Going to try a beef-based recipe today. Might use barley instead of noodle. But they kids love the egg noodles so maybe I should stick with what I know they'll eat.

The chicken soup made it a day and half and then it was gone! It was a full (large) pot.
November 10th, 2007, 9:22 am
Matt

chicken_soup.jpg

What really cracks me up about this article, is the picture they included with it. Yummy.
The accident happened at midday on Friday, the newspaper reported, when the man climbed into a cauldron at the Eraso soup factory to clean it.

The cauldron’s lid suddenly closed while the 36-year-old was still inside and began to fill with steam as part of the disinfection process.

A doctor confirmed that the unidentified man had been cooked to death.

Erasco makes soups, stews and other foods at the Lübeck factory. The company has been in business since 1873.

“The circumstances of how such an accident could have occurred have not yet been explained,” Lübeck police spokesman Detlef Ridel told Bild.

The police and the city’s office for workplace safety are jointly investigating the accident. via
May 16th, 2009, 10:12 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:
chicken_soup.jpg

What really cracks me up about this article, is the picture they included with it. Yummy.
The accident happened at midday on Friday, the newspaper reported, when the man climbed into a cauldron at the Eraso soup factory to clean it.

The cauldron’s lid suddenly closed while the 36-year-old was still inside and began to fill with steam as part of the disinfection process.

A doctor confirmed that the unidentified man had been cooked to death.

Erasco makes soups, stews and other foods at the Lübeck factory. The company has been in business since 1873.

“The circumstances of how such an accident could have occurred have not yet been explained,” Lübeck police spokesman Detlef Ridel told Bild.

The police and the city’s office for workplace safety are jointly investigating the accident. via

To repeat: “The circumstances of how such an accident could have occurred have not yet been explained,” Lübeck police spokesman Detlef Ridel told Bild.

Liv, ask your Dad if this is what he means when he says
" Well, god does what he can." It should provide you more lively discussions about the awesome power o' goddd.
"Those who embrace the deity of Christ rather than the morals of Christ are not religious…they are pseudo-religious and dangerous to our national interests.”
- Thomas Jefferson
May 16th, 2009, 11:15 pm
C. Alice

Mine is much better than THAT.
http://sue.polinsky.com/?p=6019

May 17th, 2009, 6:30 am
Sue

Sue wrote:Mine is much better than THAT.

Your does look gorgeous. The first time I read your post on that it reminded me of the Chinese Dumplings we had in China Town, over in London.....

I make two pretty good soups too. I've got a French Onion I make with some red wine and Gruyere cheese which I'm very fond of.
May 17th, 2009, 7:00 am
Liv

Return to Food