Is American Foods Keeping us Fat?

by
Published on April 19th, 2008, 8:37 pm
Rift: Food

No, I'm the same way, and sadly I'm doing it with my kids. If I don't they'll try to skip dinner and find something sweet. We've actually been really tightening our ship here.... Trying to make small changes, but it's tough....

Something I also noticed there is food is simpler. Here we was a biscuit with sausage, egg, and cheese, and a side of bo-rounds and tea. There we'd get a bap and it would basically be an English muffin like bread and sausage.

When we stopped at KFC on the way back from Bath, there was no drive-thru, so we got out walked inside. The menu is drastically different there in that they don't have biscuits and basically the only sides are fries, slaw, & gravy.

Personally gravy isn't even a side to me, it's more of a condiment.... but to each there own.

Probably the most complicated foods we encountered were the meat pies and steak pastys, which by American standards would probably be a side dish.

In fact our biggest meal was the India meal which would resemble a tailgate special at Bojangles in proportions.... Of course, I'm guessing rice and hot chicken is still better then deep-fried.
May the fetus you save be gay.
April 19th, 2008, 8:37 pm

Liv wrote:So explain the Big Mac.

I don't disagree with your main argument. Meal and portion sizes are generally smaller. But Pringles are a poor example, since they're bought in multiportion tubes.

Kettle crisps (chips) are a better example.

Kettlechips sell a 30g & 40g bag in the UK

In the US the smallest bag is 5oz or 140g
Religion is regarded by the common people as true; by the wise as false, and by politicians as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca 4 BCE - 65CE
April 19th, 2008, 9:37 pm
A Person

I think the Big Mac was the prime example for me. It tasted exactly the same, but was healthier there. Perhaps some people could tell the difference, but I doubt marginally it's different.

So why wouldn't McDonalds who has been very proactive at trying to change it's image to more healthy simply change it's specifications to the U.K. version. I understand it may be partially because of suppliers but as big as Mickie D's is, I'm quite certain their influence could entice it's vendors to produce what it needs.
April 20th, 2008, 7:42 am
Liv

Follow Me
Is American food keeping us fat?

Here's what I know on the subject. In June 2006 I quit my job to work at home. When I had my job I ate at least 2 meals per day at fast food restaurants and struggled to keep my weight down.

Now I exercise less than I have ever exercised, walk less than I've ever walked and eat more than I ever ate. And I lost 30 pounds.

My diet now comes mostly from our backyard garden and the fresh eggs I get from my chickens. We eat a lot of venison but also eat other meats always prepared at home. I've no doubt portion sizes have some effect but there are also things added to prepared foods that apparently make people fatter.

Now if you don't mind I think I'll go eat about 6 homegrown organic eggs for breakfast. With toast, butter, cheese. and homemade sausage.
My favorite quote? "I donno, was it something I said, maybe?" -Billy Jones
April 20th, 2008, 7:55 am
Billy The Blogging Poet

This was purely observational, but I felt their labeling of nutritional facts were more prominent on the packaging.... and also the Tescos in central London seemed far different then my Food Lion. Basically a very heavy fruit and veggie section, meat section, and bread section (of course alot of candy, they love their sweets) and then a general void of the isle upon isle of can goods and frozen food. There was a few, but US stores can literally have 80 feet of spaghetti o's.
April 20th, 2008, 8:14 am
Liv

Follow Me
I would take any comparisons with the UK with a pinch of salt. UK is the fattest nation in Europe and quite possibly the 2nd fattest in the world...
May 7th, 2008, 11:39 am
jjez

I guess alot of it's relativity. I live in an area where the waist line (including my own) is way above average. I was shocked when I got back home and realized how fat the people I worked with are (not to offend anyone if they read this). I of course was only in London and the interstate... (errr... or whatever you call it) to Bath and Stonehenge.... which of course in inner city, it's probably more likely to have thinner people.

I'm sure New Yorkers are fairly skinny in comparison, but I've never been as shocked as here to there. It's funny that this topic has came back up, because a few days ago on the news channel here announced one of the soda companies will be making smaller cokes to increase revenue and also because Americans want to be more healthy.

In all fairness the people at the rest stop we stopped at on the way back from Bath were alot more "normal" then the skinny Londoners.

It's really influenced my life, as we've made sweeping changes to our diets when we got home.
May 7th, 2008, 2:02 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Putting that casu marzu on my plate... that'd lead to significant weight loss, I expect. :mrgreen:
May 9th, 2008, 6:25 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I'd try it.
May 9th, 2008, 9:10 am
Liv

Follow Me
actually I think you are quite right. It has been reported that although the UK on average is the largest nation in Europe, funnily enough the London metropolitan area does not have an obesity problem.

this is probably because of 2 reasons 1. a very high percentage of people in London are actually, well, not English. 2. big city vanity. Health and fitness and eating well is probably given a higher priority here. Which pretty much confirms what you said in the first place. The issue is cultural environment.
May 12th, 2008, 5:13 pm
jezza

mireilleguiliano_sm2.jpg
mireilleguiliano_sm2.jpg (9.77 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
You may remember my observation that American's are drugged by their foods. That American food (and lifestyles) lead to being fat. Just by going to London (on vacation no less) I lost 16lbs. I'm not nuts, and it's not just the walking (though I'm sure that had an effect.)

Check out Mireille Guiliano who came to America as apart of a student exchange program and subsequently gained 20lbs. Mireille has a NY Time's best selling book called "French Women Don't get Fat" which she explains is her excuse when people ask her "how she stays so thin", not wanting to explain her adolescent difficulty with returning back to France and suffering ridicule from the weight she gained in America.

Her theory is food is to be enjoyed. In France, meals aren't about survival, their a social event where people enjoy coming together and spending time indulging and savoring each bite. By combining the social nature of eating with good food, she suggest you automatically eat less. It is a compelling hypothesis. Even I, a child of the 80's had parents who relished in the 50's style sit down dinner each night to catch up on one another day. Now the ritual is lost in busy schedules, and independent lifestyles of the modern American family.

Best part of Mireille's French diet... she's a drinker, suggesting starting every meal with a glass of champagne. Woo hoo. In America we call that alcoholism, but if it works for losing weight sign me up. Drink like the French- lose weight... makes sense to me. Perhaps that 16lbs was due to the Guinness I consumed at the pub on the Thames?
September 6th, 2008, 5:02 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Speaking of drinks and diets...

I stopped by the Asian Market today to get some Japanese junkfood (shrimp chips, candy, cookies), and they had a whole section of tea, including diet tea. One caught my eye that was something like "Ballerina Diet Tea"... I looked over the box and it read something like "May experience 1 - 2 extra bowel movements in the first day." :|
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
September 6th, 2008, 8:33 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Serendipitous wrote:Speaking of drinks and diets...

I stopped by the Asian Market today to get some Japanese junkfood (shrimp chips, candy, cookies), and they had a whole section of tea, including diet tea. One caught my eye that was something like "Ballerina Diet Tea"... I looked over the box and it read something like "May experience 1 - 2 extra bowel movements in the first day." :|

It's your people. Embrace the bowely goodness.
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
September 6th, 2008, 8:42 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

My wife bought some 'Keep Fit Tea" China tea, it was quite pleasant with a liquorish flavour. After we both had to run to the bathroom I looked at the ingredients which included senna. Keep fit indeed.

We had a but of fun with some friends of ours later...

edit: it was like this stuff
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10157709 ... m_tea.html
Since good healthy can not be bought, Tra Fitne is the most popular slimming tea in Thailand. It contains with natural herb ingredient. It is a laxative that helps us to stool easily.

Senna, an Asian TAMARIND, is also a natural laxative from herbs. Consider senna tea as your beverage of choice if you're trying to lose weight. People given green tea extract burned more total and fatter calories than those given caffeine.

It is a good choice that makes you unbelievable good body whether you are in weight control or plan to do so.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true; by the wise as false, and by politicians as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca 4 BCE - 65CE
September 6th, 2008, 9:20 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:We had a but of fun with some friends of ours later...

Typo! However, did you mean "bit" or "butt"? :mrgreen:

That reminds me of an episode of "Amazing Stories" (NBC aired it in the '80s). A pair of boys were planning on playing a trick on their nanny by making her some Ex-Lax cocoa. However, IIRC, their nanny was also some kind of voodoo lady.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
September 6th, 2008, 11:31 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Serendipitous wrote:

Oh, I'm pretty sure he was thinking butt.
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
September 6th, 2008, 11:54 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Serendipitous wrote:

That reminds me of an episode of "Amazing Stories" (NBC aired it in the '80s). A pair of boys were planning on playing a trick on their nanny by making her some Ex-Lax cocoa. However, IIRC, their nanny was also some kind of voodoo lady.

I did that to my parents when I was young... Put farting powder in their rump roast... (I'm embarrased to admit now.)
September 7th, 2008, 7:26 am
Liv

Follow Me
fat_america.gif
November 4th, 2008, 10:46 am
Liv

Follow Me
tony_packos.jpg
One of the concepts I've always toyed with is the social media sites on the Internet are filling America's need for "real-life" socialization. I've always considered "Greensboring" as sort of a "town-hall" so to speak, but it's that lack of socializing, or almost a social isolation in America that has me pondering what's so different, and whether or not it's good or not.

It was easy for me to argue this seeing the British past-time of joining friends at pubs, drinking & socializing, in comparison to American bars, typically portrayed as seedy, or for the emotionally pained. In fact in the days of the past when I actually went to American dance clubs and bars, the environment was much more one of "dating" then socialization. That, and well some horrid line dancing experiment which almost landed yours truly in the arms of a 500lb cowboy named "Bubba".

So the other night I was watching my HDTV channel for PBS and they have this wonderful cooking show where the guy (Rick Bayless) shows up in the Yucatan and then ends up cooking Mexican food. In one episode he talks about how in Merida then have a nightly dance in the main square and a weekly "snack-a-thon" that involves everyone eating and drinking, and socializing.

Another place I've always thought about social aspects of food, and it's people is Italy. If memory serves me right, dinner in Italy is typically served late from around 8pm-10pm, and because of this it's common for people to "snack" leading up to dinner, and to socialize with one another. I can easily imagine what this is like, as it sounds a lot like the Holiday's at a relatives, except they do it everyday.

I'm not sure what, if anything this has to do with anything. Somehow though I wonder, if something isn't lost with America's fascination with the drive-thru, and it's suburbia housing tracts where we no longer have to see our neighbor let alone, dance, sing, play, or talk to them. I occasionally go back to Ohio where I visit Tony Packo's. It's a "pub", restaurant, etc. which when I was very little had the bands, dancing and singing in the corner. My family would tell me stories about the place as we sat and socialized there on our visits, often running into friends... it's a little more kitschy today and while there is an essence of it's originality, something has been lost, just as it has everywhere in America... it's not so much that the building, food, or beverages have change, but it's the people. We're too afraid to risk showing a bit humanity, we're either out of time, too busy or too social insecure to become apart of a collective experience. Isn't it that, the experiences that we journey through with other people that are what we really remember, perhaps what really matters at the end of the day?
January 16th, 2009, 1:49 pm
Liv

Follow Me

Return to Food