·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

God Bless Moe's Southwest Grill

by Liv | Published on May 5th, 2008, 5:41 pm | Food
moes_southwest_grill_triple_lindy.jpg
I don't know what has caused me not to patronize Moe's Southwest Grill ever, despite every time I've driven by the Battleground location saying "That looks interesting", but I deeply regret not going till today. You see it's the whole "Southwest" in the name that threw me off. I'm thinking Texas grilled chicken and chipotle sauce, okay but not my forte', Never once did I think California Burrito with authentic Salsa bar. Indeed, that's exactly what Moe's Southwest Grill is. It's an elaborate version of the burrito cart, van, or stand in Southern California, complete with it's cooler of Cerveza.

Where have you been??

Today was Cinco De Mayo, and Moe's had dollar beers and $5.50 burritos. Their menu is simple and to the point and the staff was friendly even though you could tell every time they said "Cinco De Mayo" they blamed their bosses for the silliness. Free wifi, and a clean atmosphere has made Moe's Southwest Grill the top of my list.

I can honestly say I have a new favorite.

What's more, I didn't notice they have one at the mall, and on Wendover besides the one on Battleground.

I ordered the Triple Lindy with Steak. This is a huge, estimated 2LB burrito with rice shredded cheese, salsa (pico de gallo) and sour creme. Add in the salsas at the condiment bar. Not that I noticed till now, but I probably would have liked some Jalapenos. I'm sure they have them, but I didn't think of it.

The kids got quesadillas and I traded the beer for coke due to my obligations as designated driver of the children.

This is a place I won't just go to because I'm near it, I'll purposely hunt it down. When I say this is my new favorite, I do not joke. Burritos are one of my favorite foods, and I'm glad I've finally found a place locally to get a huge mammoth burrito. If only they'd serve breakfast burritos, I'd be set.

I'm also enticed by the fact they have online ordering, but only at the Wendover store. (Anyone know where that one is?) In my little neck of the woods there's one at 4 seasons, though I doubt I'll have the time to run up there on my 30 minute lunch.

If I was religious, I'd say "God bless Moe's Southwest Grill" because surely this is a miracle in itself. Here's in the middle of deep fried North Carolina, I found my California style burrito.

Last weekend some girlfriends and I traveled out to Florida for a Delta alumni meeting and were horrified by the catering truck outside the luncheon hall when we arrived for the meet n' greet...Moe's Southwest Grill?!?! Apparently, the coordinator is pregnant and was on a mexican food binge at the time. It's just not orthodox for this kind of event. Boy were we quick to judge, I had a 'Homewrecker' burrito, chips and guac and Cerveza. It was so good. I recommend the establishment to all my friends and took my family there to eat on Cinco de Mayo. My husband was just as surprised by the southwest goodness as I was. I totally agree with you. Burritos and beer, it reminded us all of being back in the soror house cramming for finals.
May 7th, 2008, 12:59 pm
GrassIsGreener

I'd be screwed if they actually had one that I felt I could get to on my lunch break. I could probably make the one in the mall, but I hate the parking there...
May 7th, 2008, 1:52 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I'm having a Moesgasm right now... Oh how I love Moe's.
October 22nd, 2008, 10:51 am
Liv

I'm doing a lot of kitchen experimentation lately and a few of the things I've been trying to get my head around is Moe's steak marinade, and their rice preparation techniques. By far it's hands down one of the best marinades I've tasted. While I do have a home version very close to theirs... it's still missing something... Anyhow in my search I came across two authentic recipes from Moes, their salsa and their guacamole. Pretty cool to say the least:

RECIPE: Moe's Southwest Grill Pico de Gallo

The first thing any good southwestern meal needs is some savory salsa.
This is a fresh salsa that we serve by the ton (literally) at the restaurant. Without fresh tomatoes you can use a canned high-quality organic whole tomato. Feel free to experiment and add some of your own special touches.

5 ea Tomatoes (chopped)
¼ cup Fresh Cilantro (rinsed well and chopped)
¼ cup Sweet white onion (diced)
¼ cup Red Onion (diced)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Jalapenos (diced)
½ lime Lime (juiced)
2 tsp. Southwest Seasoning
1. Drain the chopped tomatoes in a colander
2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
3. Let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour to let the flavors combine.
We recommend serving the fresh pice de gallo with tortilla chips - which can warmed in a 250 degree oven ahead of time

RECIPE: Moe's Southwest Grill Guacamole

This recipe will yield 1 ½ quarts of fresh Moe's Southwest Grill guacamole
Fresh Avocados, Ripened 6 each
White Onions, Diced 1 ½ cups
Tomatoes, Diced 1 ½ cups
Fresh Jalapenos, diced ½ teaspoon
Cilantro, Chopped ¾ cup
Lime Juice, Fresh 1 ½ ounces
Salt 1 tablespoon

Make sure to mix all ingredients in a large bowl and serve with tortilla chips warmed in a 250 degree oven

Tips: For immediate use, select slightly soft avocados which yield to gentle pressure on the skin. If you are selecting avocados that you plan to use in a few days, buy firm fruits that do not yield to the squeeze test, and leave them at room temperature to ripen.
To pit your avocados, start with a ripe avocado and cut it lengthwise around the seed. Rotate the halves to separate, then remove the seed by sliding the tip of a spoon gently underneath it and lift it out. Next, scoop out the avocado meat with the spoon.
One of the most vexing problems with guacamole is that it spoils very quickly. When preparing guacamole, to help keep the avocado from browning too soon, immediately place the peeled fruit in lemon or lime juice until ready for use. This also adds flavor to your guacamole dish.

VIA
October 24th, 2008, 7:35 pm
Liv

The guac recipe is wrong. no fresh avacados only paste which contains sour cream and pre diced onion in vacum sealed bags
January 6th, 2009, 12:33 pm
shibby420126

Return to Food