·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

My World Market Addiction

by Serendipitous | Published on March 24th, 2008, 12:05 pm | Food
The Rain King wrote:One Ring To Rule Them All.

"...and in high-bloodsugar bind them." :lol: I spend most of my time in World Market looking at all the food and trying to keep myself from buying everything that appeals to me. Have to get at least one Violet Crumble (Australian candybar) though.

Serendipitous wrote:"...and in high-bloodsugar bind them." :lol:

Or high cholesterol, high sodium...

Serendipitous wrote: I spend most of my time in World Market looking at all the food and trying to keep myself from buying everything that appeals to me. Have to get at least one Violet Crumble (Australian candybar) though.

Those are good. Always wondered why they don't mass market 'em here. I've seen several Brits in there stocking up on things, particularly candy. What I love about the place is you can try all this exotic stuff for next to nothing. I recently tried some Muscadine-flavored gummies from China. So far nobody seems to like 'em but me.
Another favorite is the soda aisle. I'm not even supposed to be drinking carbonated stuff, but life is too short not to enjoy the occasional Boylan Pure Cane Sugar Cola, or Stewart's Black Cherry. I've recently discovered that not only is a glass of Boylan's with a shot of 1800 Anejo Tequila Reserva a pleasureable experience, it may actually prolong life and promote self-esteem.
This is what Pier One used to be like, before they screwed it up and yuppified it. At WM, you can pick up a bag of Cajun-style roasted Wasabi Peas on one aisle, and find a bamboo bird-house shaped like an elephant's a** on the next. Can't beat it with a stick.
Another great thing about the one on High Point Road is that the Bed, Bath, and BEE-YOOOOND !! store is right next door. If you need a last minute wife-gift, it's hard to go wrong there...
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -- Albert Camus

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
-- John Steinbeck
March 24th, 2008, 2:27 pm
The Rain King

God I love that store since SFI sent me there for mead....
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
March 24th, 2008, 3:52 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

world_market.jpg
I admit it's gotten bad. I'm to the point I can't live without visiting the place several times a week. I've actually considered taking a lower paying job just to work there. I must admit without World Market you probably would have had to lock me up in the asylum if it wasn't for their imported British scones and clotted creme. I'm also quite fond of several of the imported chocolates. My real problem has come with the wines though. I only need to thank S.F.I. & Sanjuro for turning me on to the place. It's gotten so bad that I started eyeing a wine rack. I know nothing about wine, nor wine racks but I love looking at the different wines, and their descriptions, imagining what they may tastes. One of my favorites so far is a French wine called Red Bicyclette Rose which is a strawberry & watermelon wine. Oh my god! Tonight we maxed the credit card on some real Italian pasta & sauce. I picked up two bottles of wine to try. One is another French wine "Parallele 45"

Parallele 45 is solid, with fresh plum, violet and grilled herb notes, all backed by an iron-tinged finish;

and a Italian wine called La Bastarda:
La Bastarda is the charming and spirited sister wine (although the name may not give you that impression) of another mischievously named wine made from Tuscany’s most famous red wine grape: the Sangiovese.

They bear a striking family resemblance and are recognizable in their good cheer. They’re both offspring of Rendo Masi, winemaker in Tuscan hillsides situated to the east of the cultured city of Florence.

Again, they could probably put sewage water in a bottle and I'd find it interesting, but it's fun to try different one. I guess that's my attraction. In some sort of way I get to experience different cultures and different tastes by trying different foods and wines. My biggest question for my wine aficionados is why is there no "British Wine"? Am I missing something, or are they just not good at making it? I mean France makes wine, why not the Brits?
May 15th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Liv

My wife got on their mailing list a while back. She found out through their web site that there are 12 of them in NC. It's like you can go from Wilmington to Asheville and never be more than an hour drive away from one.

Cheers!
May 15th, 2008, 2:36 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Liv wrote:Again, they could probably put sewage water in a bottle and I'd find it interesting, but it's fun to try different one. I guess that's my attraction. In some sort of way I get to experience different cultures and different tastes by trying different foods and wines. My biggest question for my wine aficionados is why is there no "British Wine"? Am I missing something, or are they just not good at making it? I mean France makes wine, why not the Brits?

The climate is just a little too cold and wet for good wine in England. The Romans made wine and in the last 20 years there has been a serious change with several (400) new wineries making a true local wine (There is an industry making wine from imported grape juice and calling it 'British' wine, but it's generally cheap and nasty, even when it's made into sherry)

Dry white wines are the best, red wines really do need warmer summers, and they are now earning a reputation - beating Champagne in some competitions.

Nyetimber Première Cuvée Chardonnay Blanc de Blancs Brut is a very good one, but you won't find it outside the UK. I find it rather irritating that they had to give it a French name, but so be it.

What you will find are Canadian Ice Wines - Canadian wine had a deserved reputation for mostly crap cheap plonk, but the vintners realized that they had grapes and they had cold winters and started to make serious ice wines which have been beating out European ice wines for several years.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
May 15th, 2008, 3:00 pm
A Person

Liv makes up for my slackness in hitting World Market. :wink: But when I do go there, I don't think I've left without buying at least one Violet Crumble. I think they also carry everything made by Haribo (the REAL gummibears)!
May 15th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Well just to report back, We had the "Hot Sicilian" marinara last night and some twine wrapped Italian noodles. They were awesome. The sauce has a punch to it unlike anything I've ever had. I highly recommend it for something different. We had the La Bastarda last night and it was pretty good. Started out kinda of tingy and ended very smoothly. Went real well with the pasta. I think the whole dinner was under $20.00 and the kids loved it.
May 16th, 2008, 8:33 am
Liv

My latest interesting find at World Market...

1005081416[1].jpg
October 13th, 2008, 12:16 pm
Serendipitous

mmmm..... Dick.....
October 13th, 2008, 12:21 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:mmmm..... Dick.....

Just curious -- you ever give mead a try? I don't recall you mentioning it...

Or am I the only one here that likes sweet wine? 8)
October 13th, 2008, 12:25 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Uh... yeah... Short term memory loss is bad sign...

Oh.... and I have a bottle of Shakespeare's Globe Meade sitting up in the pantry we flew back from London.
October 13th, 2008, 2:57 pm
Liv

You should see all the Christmas stuff.... Lot's of cadbury, lots of cool stuff.... I finally got some HP sauce.... now what to do with it....

hp_sauce.jpg

You know they have "Fruity" HP Sauce too? What do you do with that?

Got some Mint Chocolate Chip Christmas Scones.... (moment of weakness)

xmas_scones.jpg

And Shan got some curry...

curry.jpg
October 22nd, 2008, 1:12 pm
Liv

Hewlett-Packard is going into the condiment business??? :mrgreen:
October 22nd, 2008, 1:18 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Cadbury = chocolates? digestives? whaddidja get???

You didn't pick up the Heinz Spotted Dick?
October 22nd, 2008, 1:29 pm
Serendipitous

No we didn't buy any... but we wanted too...

Shannon keeps looking for some sort of hobnobs we had in London... but they don't carry it.... They have hobnobs, but not the one she states she had over there... more like a granola bar....
October 22nd, 2008, 1:46 pm
Liv

The Tikka Masala is to die for. Not familiar with High Point Sauce. Will have to try it.
A man living in a world where men are no longer necessary.
October 22nd, 2008, 3:57 pm
Fecund Stench

HP was named for the British Houses of Parliament in 1896 because it was served in the refectory there. There was a big fuss recently when the Heinz Birmingham factory was closed and production moved to the Netherlands. It was a bit like hearing that Louisiana Hot Sauce production was being moved to China. The good news was that Worcestershire sauce production was moved back to Worcester.
October 22nd, 2008, 4:58 pm
A Person

They love their Heinz baked beans. I remember Hugh Grant going for brunch with his Mum and throwing some at the papparazzi.
October 22nd, 2008, 5:07 pm
Fecund Stench

Well I tried some earlier on some Fries.... it has a real familiar taste.... I think it was common up in Ohio steak restaurants because it seemed very vaguely familiar.... Good though... I'm a vinegar addict... so I liked that aspect.
October 22nd, 2008, 6:17 pm
Liv

Chocolate Mint scones are the shiznick people... especially after a cold evening walk.... with some hot cocoa....

muy bueno!
October 23rd, 2008, 6:38 pm
Liv

Get thee to World Market!!!! There's a huge 50 off sale!!!

I got a Eiffel Tower Iron Rod Wine Rack for $7.50!!!!
June 25th, 2009, 8:33 pm
Liv

What you really need is a Cadbury's Flake
Now there's something worth fighting for! :D
September 25th, 2009, 8:45 pm
mgb554

I was there tonight and got my Aero bars.... Yumm... Flakes are good... Aero is still my fav....
September 25th, 2009, 8:59 pm
Liv

Every time we go to World Market I tackle the challenge of buying and trying something new. After staring at the chipotle chocolate I boldly tried it and liked it. Spicy and sweet a great flavor combination. Tonight I finally gave into temptation and cringed as I put the Mo's Bacon Bar on the checkstand. What the heck, bacon covered chocolate in the south, why not? It is certainly different. It has bits of smokey bacon and salt in smooth, sweet milk chocolate. My brother loved it. I thought it was an interesting experiment. The very popular flavor duo of sweet and salty is perfect for those pesky PMS cravings. I most likely will pass given this dare again but I am eager for my next chocolate adventure. Never become stagnant, always be brave enough to try something new!
"Are you disrespecting me and my family?"
November 16th, 2009, 9:08 pm
shannon
Try My Cupcakes.

Return to Food