·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Japanese Sake

by Liv | Published on May 22nd, 2008, 11:00 am | Food
japanese_fu-ki_sake.gif
Well my wine adventures led me to Tobbaco USA on West Market street today. I was advised by a co-worker that if I enjoyed World Market, I'd enjoy Tobbaco USA. Suddenly I was having flash backs to some company by a similar name by the coliseum which sold walls and walls of cigarettes. Whether this is the same place, I know not, but certainly this a much different character now. From imported meats & Cheese, Wines, Cigars, and confectionery it did have a very "World Market" feel.

I didn't plan on buying anything but unfortunately I have this horrible addiction to spending money. While I was just looking through the wines, I came across some Sake. My first thought was, hmmm... I've never had Sake... Isn't that the stuff Mr miyagi got drunk on? Being I'm into this whole, "Lets try new things" mantra lately... I quickly grabbed a bottle.

I'm really trying to contemplate the characteristic similarities of the brand "Fu Ki" to a similar American word and the fact by all means this is alcohol. I've yet to try it but I suppose that's why I posted this, looking for advice on what simple Japanese dish I can cook that would go good with it? I'm not naive, I know Japanese Sake has the characteristics of strong liquor, and is often served warm. I know it's fermented from rice, and from watching Anthony Bourdain visit remote villages, originally rice alcohol was processed by chewing and spitting the rice. I've got to get prepared for the next time I go to Kabuto.

Two obvious ones would be teryaki (easiest to cook) and Sushi (no cooking, but getting the rice right isn't easy)
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
May 22nd, 2008, 11:44 am
A Person

Liv wrote:Well my wine adventures led me to Tobbaco USA on West Market street today.

They moved away from the Coliseum? I hadn't noticed. Or did they open a new branch? :?
May 22nd, 2008, 11:50 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Don't know if the one over there is still there, I'm just going on memory going as a kid with my parents. They have a nice one next to Panera on W. Market though.
May 22nd, 2008, 12:07 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Don't know if the one over there is still there, I'm just going on memory going as a kid with my parents. They have a nice one next to Panera on W. Market though.

OK... I didn't know there was a Panera on Market, either. Seems I'm missing out on a lot, just going to Friendly Shopping Center and the Mall (sorry -- Four Seasons Town Center) :mrgreen:
May 22nd, 2008, 12:11 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Go up Holden and turn West on to West Market and then when you almost get down towards Leblon and Jan's House there is a new shopping center there on the right. There is an Elizabeth's, a Pannera, and Tobbaco USA...

Don't feel bad, I didn't know it was there till someone mentioned it... We went to Fanta too... though it's still fairly empty. Can't wait for the International Supermarket that's coming though.
May 22nd, 2008, 12:34 pm
Liv

Just for the record. Opened tonight. Taste=ok, buzz=woo hoo!
September 21st, 2008, 7:24 pm
Liv

Return to Food