·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Why no Healthy Frozen Pizzas?

by Liv | Published on August 17th, 2008, 5:40 pm | Food
harvest_wheat.GIF
harvest_wheat.GIF (17.74 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Ok, I've got to get this off my chest. Pizza. I love the stuff. (part of my current problem with weighing 2 tons) Here's my dilemma, why isn't their a healthy version of Pizza? Especially Frozen. Not that I get frozen all that much, but come'on!!!! Here's a request... (don't get me wrong I love my thin crust veggie from Domino's), somebody in the Frozen Food market needs to make a Vegetarian or Veggie + turkey pepperoni version of pizza on a thin crust (preferably whole grain)? Is that too darn difficult? (And not those mini weight watchers ones.)

All right, listen up bitches.... Here's how it should stack up

A Whole Grain Thin Crust
Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese
Turkey Pepperoni
Green Pepper
Onion
Black Olive (got to have the olive)
Mushrooms

Come on Digiorno! Sometime I don't want to cook, but can't afford Domino's.... Can't we do something here? I know their "harvest wheat" line is supposed to be in that direction but a) I hate the artificial sausages, and other meats, and b) at 8g of fat, it's hardly healthy. I can't be alone in this can I?

Update and edit:
Found a couple things online... unfortunately, they're not at Food Lion:

http://www.pizzafree.com/
http://www.heavensbistro.com/ (This looks closest to what I was talking about, I'll have to check it out.)

Doesn't that Kashi brand make one? Seems like I've seen something of theirs mixed in with the rest at H-T.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -- Albert Camus

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
-- John Steinbeck
August 17th, 2008, 9:31 pm
The Rain King

The cereal people?

I guess I've got to swing by Harris Teeter since Food Lion sucks monkey nuts.
August 17th, 2008, 10:12 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:The cereal people?

The wife agrees. :wink:
August 18th, 2008, 5:44 am
The Rain King

Love the pizza, but they'll be the cause of my first heart attack. Food Lion usually has a special with some brand being three pizzas for $10. That's only $3.33 eaach and each pizza will feed two or three adults. I can't think of anything healthy I can cook, even from scratch, that's this cheap. The Food Lion brand rising crust deluxe pizza is pretty good, for a frozen pizza, and probably weighs a half pound more than the the other brands.

As for online healthy pizzas, I think I'd have to pass on the Fit 'n Free ones. They are only 7" and cost over $6.50 once you add in shipping. Have you tried the frozen pizzas in the freezer section where they keep the Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals? I'm sure they have something there that's comparable in price if not contents. I may be wrong, though. Food Lion seems to have decided that having the choice between one major brand and their store brand is all we need with some things.

Off topic here, but is anyone else disturbed and pissed about the social engineering at the grocery stores? First, they arrange it so you have to carry a damn card to get a discount on the artificially high prices of their products. Then, they slowly give a portion of the cashier's job to us, forcing us to stack our groceries at the register. Of course the young people who work at these places think that it's always been this way, and many of them seem to think it's also my job to help them bag the groceries. And I'll be God-(expletive) if I use one of the self checkout lines again unless they are giving a discount. I'm not working for no pay for a for- profit corporation.
August 18th, 2008, 6:31 am
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:

Off topic here, but is anyone else disturbed and pissed about the social engineering at the grocery stores? First, they arrange it so you have to carry a damn card to get a discount on the artificially high prices of their products. Then, they slowly give a portion of the cashier's job to us, forcing us to stack our groceries at the register. Of course the young people who work at these places think that it's always been this way, and many of them seem to think it's also my job to help them bag the groceries. And I'll be God-(expletive) if I use one of the self checkout lines again unless they are giving a discount. I'm not working for no pay for a for- profit corporation.

First: Pizza. I've lived off the stuff for years. Spot on about the cheapness. That's the only thing that keeps me coming back. :(

Second: Social engineering of Grocery culture. I agree about the stupid cards. Its ridiculous. Disagree about the bagging and self checkout. You bag your own in most places around the world, and I actually prefer it. I do a better/faster job anyway. As far as self checkout, as soon as they have a quick/effective means of reading an age on an ID, I will graduate completely to them.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
August 18th, 2008, 6:47 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:Second: Social engineering of Grocery culture. I agree about the stupid cards. Its ridiculous.

Yep. And we should all exchange cards. I don't like how they track me and my purchases. My son found a grocery discount card in a used car he bought. It belonged to the dead previous owner of the card. I suppose her family still gets monthly coupons mailed to her based on my son's purchases. "Oh look at this honey, Mom must be enjoying herself in heaven. It says here, based on her recent purchases, she will now receive discounts on condoms, beer and rubber bands."

Disagree about the bagging and self checkout. You bag your own in most places around the world, and I actually prefer it. I do a better/faster job anyway.

Tsk, tsk. That's exactly why it's called social engineering. They've got you now.

August 18th, 2008, 7:22 am
Nfidel

Sanjuro wrote: You bag your own in most places around the world, and I actually prefer it. I do a better/faster job anyway. As far as self checkout, as soon as they have a quick/effective means of reading an age on an ID, I will graduate completely to them.

But really, how hard is it to bag a twelve pack, a frozen pizza and personal lubricant.
August 18th, 2008, 7:28 am
Nfidel

yeah, but on the good side of those I think they are called affinity cards or loyalty cards, you can link them to schools, non profits etc and the chosen group or groups benefit financially whenever you shop and show your card

http://www.foodlion.com/IntheCommunity/ShopAndShare/
Food Lion is involved in the local communities in which it serves, and LionShop & Share is our way of helping your community grow and prosper. It is the easiest, most convenient way to raise money for your local not-for-profit organization. Each time you shop at Food Lion and use your MVP card, a portion of your total grocery purchase will be donated to your organization.

You get to pick where the donations from your card use go and there are a LOT of options.

Harris teeter does something similar but, unfortunately, you can only direct that your card linkage go to a school or schools.
http://www.harristeeter.com/community/t ... n/tie.aspx

Lowes Foods does not seem to bother with such a program, which bugs me. Neither does Kroger. Bi Lo has a booster plus program similar to FL and HT but I just looked that the company website and cannot figure out how to sign a card up for that
The Rapture already happened. All the good Christians are gone. We're stuck with the rejects.

"Why would anyone pray in private where no one can see you?"- BHL
August 18th, 2008, 8:00 am
C. Alice

I once used my Food Lion Card and the Harris Teeter and it actually worked. Funny thing, it was the cashier that suggested I try it.....
August 18th, 2008, 8:17 am
Pineview Style

C. Alice wrote:yeah, but on the good side of those I think they are called affinity cards or loyalty cards, you can link them to schools, non profits etc and the chosen group or groups benefit financially whenever you shop and show your card

I would rather donate money when I choose. Plus, Nfidel could write it off of his taxes, instead of the multi- million dollar corporation getting the tax break. Doing it their way just adds a middle man. Drop my grocery prices and I'll donate more.
August 18th, 2008, 8:19 am
Nfidel

Pineview Style wrote:I once used my Food Lion Card and the Harris Teeter and it actually worked. Funny thing, it was the cashier that suggested I try it.....

Illuminati!!!
August 18th, 2008, 8:46 am
Sanjuro

Nfidel wrote: Have you tried the frozen pizzas in the freezer section where they keep the Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals? I'm sure they have something there that's comparable in price if not contents. I may be wrong, though.

Atleast at ours they don't. Even the super thin-crust ones are actually higher in fat then the the "name brand" versions.

I have had the lean cuisine, and healthy choice stuff, and I love them... unfortunately I'm the only one who does, and b) they're single servings. Doesn't work all that well when you have four people needing to eat.

That said, since frozen pizza is so high in fat, I generally don't touch it.... I basically allow myself buckets of fat (yum) and I'd much rather spend my fat grams, if I'm going to use them on something better than frozen pizza..... (I'll save them for a domino's thin crust veggie)... etc.

But.... I'd love an option where they are healthy, affordable, and doesn't tax my "fat account" too much.... I mean after all, pizza by definition is a fairly healthy combination of food (with out the meats).... It's just that it's always been a big seller in grocery stores that they've never felled compelled to market themselves as healthier. I for one, love pizza. Even the cardboard variety. (although not nearly as much as take-out pizza) but there just isn't any options at my store. But I will be running by H.T. this week and try these out.

As far as the "value card" aspect.... I agree, and I know I've mentioned before that it's a bit concerning that there is an entire record of what I consume available for someone to subpoena into court.... Lovely.
August 18th, 2008, 9:02 am
Liv

For what it's worth, I have found that grocery stores on the doorstep of colleges usually have much more space allocated for frozen pizzas and often get the better variety.
August 18th, 2008, 12:01 pm
Sanjuro

It should be a benefit of employment IMHO... here's you're check, retirement, and 3 pizzas for the week.
August 18th, 2008, 12:08 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:The cereal people?

Yes, we are speaking of the cereal people. Most of their stuff is good and has decent fiber & fat counts.

I could not agree with you more about Food Lion sucking monkey nuts! After they closed the pharmacy in ours with 3 weeks notice, putting 2 guys out of a job, who were like having a couple of uncles at the pharmacy, and not listening to their customers. I HATE that store but not quite with the same conviction as WALMART.

But really, how hard is it to bag a twelve pack, a frozen pizza and personal lubricant

And I'll be God-(expletive) if I use one of the self checkout lines again unless they are giving a discount. I'm not working for no pay for a for- profit corporation.

Gee, if that's ALL I was buying, I wouldn't have a problem with it. What pisses me off is when on Saturday night, when I've got a cart full, the assholes actually expect me to use the self checkout, when I'm spending over $100 in your store, you damn well better open a real line. Not to mention, the damn thing yells at you constantly, "put the item back in the bag." Agreed wholeheartedly, it's putting someone else out of a job, I refuse to use them unless I ABSOLUTELY have to.

As for the social engineering aspect, we all need to be a little protectionist about jobs here, we've lost enough without losing cashier & wait staff jobs too. Not to mention, how wonderful would dining out be if all the choices we had were automats, cafeterias and Sheetz? It could truly come to that. McDonald's is actually testing an ordering system like Sheetz already has in place.
August 18th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Bessa1

The Rain King wrote:Doesn't that Kashi brand make one?

Okay, picked up a Kashi mushroom and spinach today... Cost was about $7.00, I'll probably do a write up later.... The biggest problem I noticed was Kashi is 9g of fat!!!!!

9 grams is alot!!!

Unfortunately HT didn't have "Heavens Bistro" despite their website saying it should....

I'll have to hit "Fresh Market" next week when I get more money...
August 21st, 2008, 3:01 pm
Liv

Well I've been to Food Lion, Fresh Market, & Harris Teeter and cannot find this pizza. If anyone sees it let me know!
August 28th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Liv

You have to try AC LaRocco Pizza, it's the healthiest pizza on the planet and it's delicious!!! All of AC LaRocco's pizzas are high in fiber and whole grains, a good source of protein while being light in sodium (they offer the pizza with the lowest sodium on the market), low in fat and low in calories. All of the pizzas are made with organic and all natural ingredients and 7 out of 8 of their pizzas are vegetarian.They use fresh frozen vegetables, frozen within 4 to 6 hours of harvest to lock in the highest level of nutrients.

You can eat an entire pizza for under 700 calories and still get more than 50 grams of whole grains, more than 30 grams of protein and fiber!!!!

You can find AC LaRocco pizzas in your natural frozen foods case in grocery stores nationwide. Check out the store locator at aclarocco.com

And if you want coupons just send me an email and I'll get some out to you!!! [email protected]
August 12th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Healthy Pizza

Return to Food