·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Man's best tasting friend: Eating Dog

by Liv | Published on November 3rd, 2008, 8:11 am | Food
dog_food.jpg
dog_food_2.jpg

I assume that's a dog...

Another dog?

Not for me, thanks.

I'll have one last one! :mrgreen:
November 3rd, 2008, 8:55 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
This appears to be the source of the photo
http://www.aapn.org/fooddogs.html
We see no difference between pig eating and dog eating. The degree of objection lies in the methods of rearing, transport and slaughter rather than in the choice of species.

I'd have to agree with that.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
November 3rd, 2008, 12:51 pm
A Person

As a habitual omnivore, I have to say that I recognize my preferences for the sorts of animal flesh I eat is culturally determined. I refused to let my sister cook me some horse meat when I visited her in France many years ago. I don't think I'd do the same today.
November 3rd, 2008, 12:56 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

That's right. People may not be able to get their dog hot pot -- complete with blood-infused meat -- much longer. I had only a little curiosity about visiting China up to now. I think I'll give it a miss altogether, and be satisfied with travelogues on TV.

Eurrgh!
January 27th, 2010, 1:37 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I'd agree with the sentiment not to cause the animals unnecessary suffering, but the choice of animal is a Western nicety

There's no logical reason why it would be OK to eat a pig but not a dog. There's no biblical reason either - indeed itwouldbe the reverse - eating pig is forbidden but dog is not. Under Dispensation of Rover.
January 27th, 2010, 2:57 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:I'd agree with the sentiment not to cause the animals unnecessary suffering, but the choice of animal is a Western nicety

There's no logical reason why it would be OK to eat a pig but not a dog. There's no biblical reason either - indeed itwouldbe the reverse - eating pig is forbidden but dog is not. Under Dispensation of Rover.

Oh I readily agree that my reaction is purely emotional and culture-based. I was sort of on board up to the point where they talked about beating the dogs so as to get the blood into the meat. Thank you -- no. :hand:
January 27th, 2010, 3:05 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Bet it tastes like chicken.
January 28th, 2010, 8:27 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

hungry_for_doggy.jpg

So Savannah, our chocolate lab from the Guilford County pound went in for an annual tune-up and oil change. Several shots, blood tests, pills and a bill for her mommies. Now she can be safely boarded again if we decide to fly-out somewhere.

I must admit though the ads in the Randolph County phone book could have used some more editorial scrutiny.

"My dog is dying".... hmmm.... "That makes me hungry."

or is it some ploy to secretly tell cat eating foreigners where their nearest vet is to steal dinner?

Lastly... it's nice that your Vet practice is "Dedicated to Jesus Christ" but is in necessary to write it in big blood red letters in your yellow-book ad when people are bringing their half dead animals in? "Yes. I understand my dog is dying.... can I get the Jesus package, and you bring him back to life?"
February 19th, 2010, 9:00 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Lastly... it's nice that your Vet practice is "Dedicated to Jesus Christ" but is in necessary to write it in big blood red letters in your yellow-book ad when people are bringing their half dead animals in?

Such rage.... tsk tsk.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
February 19th, 2010, 9:30 am
BecauseHeLives

No rage.... I'm not ragey at all... if anything, I'd say I'm humored by it.
February 19th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:No rage.... I'm not ragey at all... if anything, I'd say I'm humored by it.

Would you be more likely, less likely (or none of the above) to do business with a company that had that on their advertisement? Just curious.
February 19th, 2010, 12:19 pm
BecauseHeLives

Personally if my pet was ill I'd want to take it to a vet that was dedicated to the animal's wellfare by providing the best medical care.
February 19th, 2010, 12:23 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Personally if my pet was ill I'd want to take it to a vet that was dedicated to the animal's wellfare by providing the best medical care.

Duh!

I think any of us would want that. But there are other variables as well.
February 19th, 2010, 12:40 pm
BecauseHeLives

A Person wrote:Personally if my pet was ill I'd want to take it to a vet that was dedicated to the animal's wellfare by providing the best medical care.

I don't trust anyone who uses religion as a selling point for a non-religious business. It shows a callous attitude toward their profession, IMO, and indicates that they only prefer to do business with shallow, unthinking people who are easily suckered by religious affiliation.
February 19th, 2010, 12:59 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

BecauseHeLives wrote:

Duh!

Like what? In what way does being 'dedicated to Jesus' imply better quality of care? As SFI says - it's irrelevent at best and suggests that Jesus is more important to them than the animals. Giventhe choice I would avoid them just as I would a vet that proposes acupuncture or homeopathic rememdies. The placebo effect doesn't work on animals.
February 19th, 2010, 1:42 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Duh!

Like what? In what way does being 'dedicated to Jesus' imply better quality of care? As SFI says - it's irrelevent at best and suggests that Jesus is more important to them than the animals. Giventhe choice I would avoid them just as I would a vet that proposes acupuncture or homeopathic rememdies. The placebo effect doesn't work on animals.

a) Costs. I know that many people feel that their pets are priceless but costs does play a role in deciding on which vet to go to.
b) Terms. What terms a vet can give you if you need to finance.
c) Convenience. What part of town are these people in. Is it convenient, dangerous?
d) Reputation. How long have they been in practice and what does the BBB say about them. Do I feel comfortable with the Vet. Do I want to give my business to this person?

IMO if a business openly follows Christ then I'm more apt to give more weight to the (d) variable. To each his own though. I gamble to believe that many more people feel the way I do about this than do not so the net affect will be positive for the vet.
February 19th, 2010, 1:55 pm
BecauseHeLives

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:

I don't trust anyone who uses religion as a selling point for a non-religious business. It shows a callous attitude toward their profession, IMO, and indicates that they only prefer to do business with shallow, unthinking people who are easily suckered by religious affiliation.

Uh, didn't you marry one of "those" people?

Insults, insults.
February 19th, 2010, 1:56 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I don't trust anyone who uses religion as a selling point for a non-religious business. It shows a callous attitude toward their profession, IMO, and indicates that they only prefer to do business with shallow, unthinking people who are easily suckered by religious affiliation.

Uh, didn't you marry one of "those" people?

Insults, insults.

:?
What sort of person are you referring to? A business person who uses Jesus for advertising purposes? Or a shallow unthinking person who chooses to do business with such charlatans? Regardless, I married neither type. Learn to read for comprehension, BHL. It will be helpful to you if you ever decide to carry on a real conversation.
February 19th, 2010, 3:31 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Liv wrote:No rage.... I'm not ragey at all... if anything, I'd say I'm humored by it.

Would you be more likely, less likely (or none of the above) to do business with a company that had that on their advertisement? Just curious.

Less likely. Most normal people, christian and non-christian wouldn't advertise their beliefs in their yellow-pages. To me it indicates something is wrong with the owner.
February 19th, 2010, 3:31 pm
Liv

BecauseHeLives wrote:
a) Costs. I know that many people feel that their pets are priceless but costs does play a role in deciding on which vet to go to.
b) Terms. What terms a vet can give you if you need to finance.
c) Convenience. What part of town are these people in. Is it convenient, dangerous?
d) Reputation. How long have they been in practice and what does the BBB say about them. Do I feel comfortable with the Vet. Do I want to give my business to this person?

IMO if a business openly follows Christ then I'm more apt to give more weight to the (d) variable. To each his own though. I gamble to believe that many more people feel the way I do about this than do not so the net affect will be positive for the vet.

A vet offers a secular service, by presenting his business as one 'dedicated to Jesus' he is excluding people who want a vet rather than an evangelical vet - that includes many Christians as well as jews, muslims, new agers and atheists. Frankly I don't care (or know) what religion my vet is - it's how he treats the animals that's important. I would avoid any overtly religious business.

It's interesting that Asheboro Animal Hospital is not in fact accredited by the BBB. The Animal Hospital at Lake Brandtis and gets an -A. Pointe South Animal Hospital isn't acfredited by the BBB either but has a perfect score at Vetratingz

Either of those would get my business first.
February 19th, 2010, 3:56 pm
A Person

Liv wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Less likely. Most normal people, christian and non-christian wouldn't advertise their beliefs in their yellow-pages. To me it indicates something is wrong with the owner.

You know that there is a Christian "yellow pages" directory for those businesses under Christian ownership. This is so that people who wish to do business with only Christian businesses can do so. I'm careful about which stocks I buy as well because there are many companies out there that have practices which are contrary to the principles of Christianity. Liv, if you wish to discriminate then that's your choice.
February 20th, 2010, 10:14 am
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote: Liv, if you wish to discriminate then that's your choice.

Dang there goes another irony meter

IRONYmeter.gif
IRONYmeter.gif (199.59 KiB) Viewed 627 times
February 20th, 2010, 10:46 am
A Person

What's most interesting to me about BHL's latest post is that it illustrates the blind trust that I mentioned earlier. I seriously doubt that Christian businesses have Christianity auditors going around and verifying that these businesses are run honestly. All they have to do is slap a fish or cross on their letterhead, and they will attract a clientele that assumes they're doing business as honestly as Jesus would.
February 21st, 2010, 9:23 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

But ... if they SAY they are Christian they MUST be. No one would lie about that.
February 21st, 2010, 10:18 am
A Person

Return to Food