·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Greensboro's London Style Fish & Chips- OPEN!!!!

by Liv | Published on October 16th, 2008, 9:06 am | Food
OMG! Drove down Holden to work this morning... and a new restauraunt is coming in called "LONDON STYLE FISH & CHIPS"!!!!

Greensboro has truley arrived!!!!

Can't wait!

MALT VINEGAR!!!
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
October 16th, 2008, 9:45 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Red Robin surprisingly had some pretty decent fish and chips. Was pretty close to what I had at Bird In Hand in Mildenhall back in the day. Of course the meal was preceded by a few ciders so maybe the memory is tainted.

But I bet I ate there 10-15 times while I was there on a 45-day task force.

Is this place connected to the one in Cary and Charlotte?
October 16th, 2008, 9:58 am
Matt

Is this place connected to the one in Cary and Charlotte?

Not sure... I just got really excited when I drove by it... It actually says on the sign "London Style"... I want to go apply for a job.... I'd give up a few dollars to fry some fish.... Of course... the rest of my family might not be fond of my career track but what's new.... I could speak in a Brisish accent all day...

I'm so excited... If I think about it, I'll try to drive through the parking lot on the way home.
October 16th, 2008, 11:24 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

London Style? You mean small portions and overpriced?

The best Fish and Chips come from the North East, Humber area. Hull, Grimsby etc. It's the only good thing about the place. I can't imagine a British fish and chip shop ever claiming to be 'London' style.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
October 16th, 2008, 11:29 am
A Person

I'm quite certain it's an advertising ploy.... but I'm very happy... we tried when we got back to find a place which advertised british fish and chips and the only place we could find was a bar in Winston Salem which is about 50 minutes from where we live, and about 30 from Greensboro....

I'm so going.... screw the diet...
October 16th, 2008, 11:32 am
Liv

Curious to know if anyone out there has had Edinburgh style (with brown sauce) mmmmmm...
I worked in a "chippy" in Scotland for about four years when I was younger.
October 16th, 2008, 12:58 pm
allscotsgirl69

Has anyone tried Edinburgh style? (brown sauce...mmmm....)
Worked in several "chippies" growing up in Scotland.
Wonder if they need a manager?...
October 16th, 2008, 1:13 pm
allscotsgirl69

Never had it, but anything is better with gravy... right?
October 16th, 2008, 3:23 pm
Liv

'Brown Sauce' isn't gravy, it's a ketchup like sauce with Worcestershire Sauce flavour.

e.g. HP Sauce
300_hpsauce.jpg

or Daddy's

October 16th, 2008, 3:51 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:'Brown Sauce' isn't gravy, it's a ketchup like sauce with Worcestershire Sauce flavour.

e.g. HP Sauce
300_hpsauce.jpg

FYI Liv, you can buy that at World Market.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
October 16th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Shannon says she thinks she remembers it over at KFC in Britain....

I'm betting I'd love it... I put worcestershire sauce on my scrambled eggs....

I'll have to get a bottle when I can afford too....
October 16th, 2008, 7:46 pm
Liv

Yes I know about real fish and chips with gravy and mushy peas. I lived in Edinburg and Saffron walden for several years. I often have an urge for some real f & c, but there is not a good place that I know of.
October 16th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Tarheel Foodie

A Person wrote:'Brown Sauce' isn't gravy, it's a ketchup like sauce with Worcestershire Sauce flavour.

e.g. HP Sauce
300_hpsauce.jpg

or Daddy's

WORCESTERSHIRE!!! mmmmm

Sanjuro wrote:FYI Liv, you can buy that at World Market.

Maybe she can pick up some Spotted Dick too... HP on Spotted Dick...
October 16th, 2008, 9:44 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

I passed the rstaurant too. Its not quite open yet. Now if they put curry on the chips, we will know we are really living! I'm from London by the way and as much as I live fish and chips, there are more curry restaurants than anything else today!
October 23rd, 2008, 4:13 pm
ncenglishman

Drove by it a few days ago and got a better picture of the place, but it's on the cell phone, and haven't had a chance to get it off.... Still no sign of "when" it opens.
October 24th, 2008, 1:39 pm
Liv

london_fish_chips.jpg

More on that London Style Fish & Chips place coming in over on Holden & Vandalia. Finally got a chance to drive through the parking lot. No sign of when they're opening, but got a good picture off the camera-phone, and just texted it to Greensboring. Apparently it's called "TugBoat Fish & Chips" and appears to be apart of some national chain of some sort... Though I didn't find much online... but all the franchises do seem to have a similar menu.
seafood sampler.jpg

Dinners
(includes chips)
1 Piece of Fish.......................................... 4.19
2 Piece of Fish.......................................... 5.99
3 Piece of Fish.......................................... 7.39
Calamari Dinner........................................ 7.49
8 Prawns.................................................. 6.99
8 Oyster................................................... 6.99
6 Scallop.................................................. 6.99
Shrimp Basket.......................................... 6.99
Catfish Strips............................................ 6.99
1/3 lb Clam Strips..................................... 6.99
5 Chicken Strips....................................... 6.99
3 Chicken Strips....................................... 4.99
Kids 3 or 6 Mini Fish.......................... 3.29/4.29
Extra Fish................................................. 2.69
November 12th, 2008, 7:50 am
Liv

That location has been sort of sucky for restaurant businesses. I hope this one has better luck. Providing decent service for customers would make a positive change, for sure.
November 12th, 2008, 7:57 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Well if it's good, I'll be glad to fully spread the word both online... and with my 300 other co-workers down the street.....

which makes me think... Shouldn't I get comp'd for that?
Liv

The joy of helping a local entrepreneur should be reward enough. :wink:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
That's generally how I feel.... but it's also about some odd marketing aspect of this site which makes life fun.... Without any financial or editorial pressures from anyone else, I write about what I like.... like Moe's... and I know because I talk about it, they get more business about it.....

but... since I'm just one human, and unfortunately on a diet.... I could be enticed more to write about things if they were free...

Heck when Burnsent me a case of their drink I ran free advertising for a week. They've had a post, and "free" advertising since January of 06', and that thread has gone viral a few times on social bookmarking sites....

Works great for all of us...

On the other hand, "Hunt Brothers" has been sitting high in Google for their namesake's key phrase.... and offering a much less positive review. I've offered to rewrite it if ever comp'd and I know that the owners have read it.... I can't guarantee the review would be any better.... but... If I owned the company I'd be sending me freebies asap.
Liv

So - you're saying that your good will can be bought for a free meal?

:shock: Liv the food whore :shock:

I think you should value your honour a bit higher than a pizza :P
A Person

No I'm not saying food changes my opinion... but in the case of Hunt Brothers... it would give them a second chance... because as of now, I'd never patronize the place out of my own money again....

It still might be just as horrible the second time.... I suspect it would be....
Liv

All orders to go? Cash only? :shifty:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
November 12th, 2008, 7:58 am
BecauseHeLives

Wow, cool deal Liv... I'm definitely checking them out when they open. I'll make sure they know I heard about 'em here!
November 12th, 2008, 7:58 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Return to Food