Greensboro's London Style Fish & Chips- OPEN!!!!

by
Published on November 12th, 2008, 7:58 am
Rift: Food

On a whim, we drover over to Greensboro's London fish & chip place to see if it's open. It's not, we ended up getting Chilis-to-go after fridge shopping at Lowes. But the owners were out front eating what looked like some mighty fine seafood, and allowed Shannon to get a flyer. Coolness abounds, as we have an official menu, telephone number although still no projected opening date. I'm guess it's close though:
tugboat_fish_chips_menu.jpg
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
November 12th, 2008, 7:58 am

It's says "ATM accepted"... so I assume they will have all the modern Londoness of transaction processing.
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:It's says "ATM accepted"... so I assume they will have all the modern Londoness of transaction processing.

Sure. CiCi's pizza does the ATM accepted thing too and they charge you a fee to use it.
Ignore List: Nfidel; Pitbullferlucifer; C. Alice

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

"Why am I such a stupid atheist?" - C. Alice
BecauseHeLives

You know, I see no mention of vinegar for the fries.. hmm....
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Let me announce that there is a huge "Grand Opening" sign up now in place of the "Coming soon" so I'm assuming it's now open....

I will be getting some soon!!!!
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:Let me announce that there is a huge "Grand Opening" sign up now in place of the "Coming soon" so I'm assuming it's now open....

I will be getting some soon!!!!

Woot! So when are you buying that "tugboat cheerleader" uniform?? :mrgreen: You'll have to let us know how it is.
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

November 12th, 2008, 8:29 am
Sanjuro

I'm going now.... supposedly it's "Rowboat" not "Rawboat"..... they just informed me.
November 12th, 2008, 11:51 am
Liv

Follow Me
greensboro_fish_chips.jpg

IT'S OPEN!!! Oh and so good.... Yes! Yes! Yes! Go!

While there is no doubt that London holds something special, the style of batter, the malt-vinegar that's included and a out-of-this-world tarter sauce makes this as close as I'm going to get without jumping on a flight.

We got the Row Boat. It's really really good. Nothing special about the fries alone, but dribbled in malt vinegar with the fish, and dipped in sauce made it excellent.....

greensboro_fish_chips_2.jpg
November 12th, 2008, 12:59 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Well hell, I guess I know what I'm eating tonight.

November 12th, 2008, 1:01 pm
Sanjuro

BecauseHeLives wrote:All orders to go? Cash only? :shifty:

Took credit card no problem...
November 12th, 2008, 1:02 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Definately good.... I was worried it would be like all the other local fish places who by frozen pre-battered fish..... It's not like the local fish places.... Don't know if they hand-dip them or not.... but very much in the style of british fish....
November 12th, 2008, 1:04 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Were there any grand opening promos?

November 12th, 2008, 1:06 pm
Sanjuro

Liv wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:All orders to go? Cash only? :shifty:

Took credit card no problem...

That's cool.

I had fish and chips at Fatz Cafe today. Pretty tasty and there was lots of it. :D

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

November 12th, 2008, 1:10 pm
BecauseHeLives

You could call and ask, I didn't.... I think they were surprised when someone called them to "phone" order already... there was 2 elderly couples already in there.....

They do have a dining room (small) (and very non-formal) if anyone is interested. Real cute, and kitschy.
November 12th, 2008, 1:15 pm
Liv

Follow Me
No that's fine, I as just looking for free swag. ;-)

November 12th, 2008, 1:22 pm
Sanjuro

Ask them for a boat hat... see if they'll hook ya up... they were passing them out to the crew while I was in there.
November 12th, 2008, 5:05 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:Ask them for a boat hat... see if they'll hook ya up... they were passing them out to the crew while I was in there.

No comment on the food/service??

November 12th, 2008, 6:08 pm
BecauseHeLives

I just came from there! The owner is super nice, and they were doing a nice brisk business! There was a guy with a British accent talking with him when I got there, someone waiting on food, a family in the dining room, and another guy arriving to pick up an order. Another guy and (I assume) his son came in and sat down while I waited.

How are they advertising? How many people read this damn blog??? :lol:

The sit down area is much larger than Liv makes it out to be.

More on everything later.. I'm eating the hell out of some fries and malt vinegar right now! :mrgreen:

November 12th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Sanjuro

I printed out the menus on Greensboring at work today and passed them out to my team members... Most grumbled and complained at the price.... I said "sheesh, atleast they're not charging in British pounds!!!!" Personally, well worth the money.
November 12th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Liv

Follow Me
BecauseHeLives wrote:
No comment on the food/service??

Well it's the best fish place in Greensboro.... of course that's not saying much..... but really no, darn good.... The tarter sauce and the batter is really a treat... very different...

As far as service, the lady I dealt with was nice, and everyone seemed very decent....
November 12th, 2008, 7:07 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Ok.. the fish...

Fluffy, fresh tasting, and Liv is correct, the batter was great. I hate tarter sauce but this stuff was great too. The owner was very friendly and boasted "If you're not happy, you get your money back! Double!! Triple!!!" I wouldn't hold him to that as an official statement, but he was great and gave the place a 'face'. :) I might chat him up a bit when its less busy.

So, food-wise I was impressed. The fries were somewhat standard, but still rather tasty.

I thought it was well worth the money and it filled me up. I paid about what I would at Arbys I guess, and the food was WAY better.

WilI be back? Heck yeah! The drive back to downtown is the only drawback for me. :think:

November 12th, 2008, 7:32 pm
Sanjuro

I would have to say that I disagree with most of what is being said. To begin, the menus posted here are very misleading in that the actualy prices vary from what is shown here. In fact, it's much more expensive. I placed a phone order looking at the menu prices posted here and was surprised to learn that my order was $3 more than what I expected. When I compared the posted prices to the menu prices in the store, I found that they had nearly doubled most of their menu prices! That is ridiculous. I was sort of disappointed when I walked in and I saw it was ran by Asians. Not to be deamning, but for some reason I think a London style restaurant should be ran by someone from London. That's like me running a Chinese restaurant. I don't think many people would eat there. Back to the food. The portions you get are sad. The hush puppies are very dry and when you bite into one all you see is very very greasy bread. It looks rather disgusting. Also, the online advertised price for cole slaw was $.75, which seems about right. When I went to pay for my order and saw that they were charging me $1.50 for 1/2 oz. of cole slaw, I wanted to cry. The tatar sauce is also not tartar at all. It's a white creamy sauce. That's it. No pickles or anything ! The fish is very bland as well. Somehow, I see a short future for this restaurant. It's going to go under like all of the other restaurants in that shopping center. Stay Away !
November 13th, 2008, 3:15 pm
me

The menu they gave me, the one that's posted here.... shows two sizes for coleslaw, a small and a large... looks like you got the big one....

I'm not sure how there was a 3 dollar difference, but I'm sure they'd help figure it out with you. They were all very nice to me.

I respect your difference of opinion, but I've got to ask, have you ever had British Fish & Chips... from Britain???

I thought it was fairly spot-on for an American incarnation of sorts. Not that I'm a seasoned veteran of the authentic type, but merely based on my humble vacation last April.
November 13th, 2008, 3:34 pm
Liv

Follow Me
me wrote:I was sort of disappointed when I walked in and I saw it was ran by Asians. Not to be deamning, but for some reason I think a London style restaurant should be ran by someone from London.

OMFG you make such a good point! Asians can't be born anywhere other than their original countries. And to think that there would be any Asians born and raised in London!!! :roll: So many motherfucking idiots, so little time.

me wrote:That's like me running a Chinese restaurant.

Actually, it's prolly not since you're a motherfucking racist.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
November 13th, 2008, 3:47 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Hey... I was considering giving up my day job, practicising my accent and going to get a job that pays me in fried fish.... but, Shan wouldn't let me.... apparently, fish doesn't make her as happy as money and health-care does....

that said, maybe you'd be happy.... as you would have been impressed.... Because there'd be a fake Brit selling you fish.
November 13th, 2008, 3:49 pm
Liv

Follow Me

Return to Food