Greensboro's London Style Fish & Chips- OPEN!!!!

by
Published on December 14th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Rift: Food

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Liv wrote:
mwooldri wrote:However if Tugboats are selling hush puppies and they want to be authentic then they need to kick them off the menu. Far more authentic would be fried Milky Way bars. Maybe hush puppies have been put on to cater to the Libby Hill crowd...

Oh how I miss all the Milky Way & Mars stuff over there... One of my favorite concoctions was the "Mars muffin" the week we were over there.....

Welcome to the site.....

They had fried milky ways at the last fair here in Greensboro. I thought it was quite odd.

Come to think of it lots of the carnival workers had British accents. Coincidence?
Ignore List: Nfidel; Pitbullferlucifer; C. Alice

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

"Why am I such a stupid atheist?" - C. Alice
December 14th, 2008, 10:56 pm

It's the invasion....
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
December 15th, 2008, 8:54 am
Liv

Follow Me
I dare say most Americans cant tell the difference between a British accent and a South African or Australian. Especially just in passing.
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
December 15th, 2008, 9:13 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Well we can't even understand one another here in the U.S....

Why should we try to understand other dialects... that would mean we'd have to meet people of different cultures, or watch film and media without us "normal" Americans....

Come on Sanj! weez Mericans... ain't about to do dat.
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
December 15th, 2008, 9:16 am
Liv

Follow Me
Sanjuro wrote:I dare say most Americans cant tell the difference between a British accent and a South African or Australian. Especially just in passing.

As if it mattered. :lol:
Ignore List: Nfidel; Pitbullferlucifer; C. Alice

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

"Why am I such a stupid atheist?" - C. Alice
December 15th, 2008, 9:16 am
BecauseHeLives

mwooldri wrote:The menu had Lumpia on it - my wife ordered a portion but never received it... but never got charged for it either.

I was in there a week or so ago and had asked about the lumpia because it's a bit random and it didn't appear that there was Flip amongst the folks I usually see working there. The young lady said that they are still looking for a supplier, so they weren't already offering it. I guess it would have been nice if they told your wife that when she ordered it.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
December 17th, 2008, 11:07 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

I see you people are still stuck on the whole Asian thing. It's seem like most of you are interested in that and not the quality of the food. It's sad. lol. Anywho, to the person who made the comment about the Fish & Chip place back in London ran by someone from Hong Kong. . . that's fine and dandy. But the problem with me is, I don't eat Asian cuisine. I've had too many bad experiences with their food and not knowing what I'm actually eating. When I dined at a restaurant that was shut down by the health dept. is Downtown Charlotte for having cats and dogs in their freezer, I vowed to never eat at another Asian restaurant. This, along with another experience I had at the K Street Mall in Sacramento, California are reason enough for me to not eat from Asians ever again. If I don't know what I am eating for sure, then I won't be eating it. This post will give you guys something to talk about for the next 3840284 months, since this is all you're stuck on. Now, continue on you disgruntled bloggers.

Ciao !
December 17th, 2008, 4:26 pm
me

me wrote:I see you people are still stuck on the whole Asian thing.
Just expressing distaste for racist stereotyping.
Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about BecauseHeLives, 2009 August 16
December 17th, 2008, 5:57 pm
A Person

me wrote:I see you people are still stuck on the whole Asian thing. It's seem like most of you are interested in that and not the quality of the food. It's sad. lol.

Nice of you to stop by again, but really, please check the dates of the posts and read all posts in their entirety before posting your response. With that in mind, you should be able to see the incorrectness of your statement.

A Person wrote:
me wrote:I see you people are still stuck on the whole Asian thing.
Just expressing distaste for racist stereotyping.

AP rocks the word choice.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
December 18th, 2008, 8:30 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Looking forward to trying it. Being a Brit, but having lived in Singapore for 5 years, I love both types of food. I could skip the mushy peas, but would love to see curry sauce, and my idea of heaven would be deep fried black pudding (being of Scottish extraction!).

In response to the comment about not eating Asian food because of not knowing what it is, that smacks of narrow mindedness. I had never eaten a hush puppy before living here (probably will not again either, they are pretty tasteless). Noting wrong with cats/dogs/horse or any other type of animal. They are all 'meat', it just comes down to taste. People need to get over their attachments to so called 'pets'. All cultures eat differently, get over your prejudices and taste something new.

Back to the Tugboat, I hope they prosper even if they are not like 'real' (if there is such a thing) fish 'n' chips.
December 28th, 2008, 3:42 pm
Bobbylah

This is a great place for FANTASTIC fish and chips. Quality of the food can't be beat for the price. They use real cod fish from Alaska! Their sauces, the tartar and ranch, are homemade, is so fresh and tasty.
So who the heck cares if it's run by Asians! They're very friendly and they are making an honest living in a foreign country. Can't say that for some of our white folks here! Racism on this blog should not be tolerated! Racism= zero education.
And if they charged you three dollars more, why didn't you speak up? Maybe YOU miscalculated?
April 1st, 2009, 10:18 am
jamie

So much for Tugboat's survival. The "For Lease" sign is outside their restaurant now. It's still open as of the week before last but unless trade picks up for them, or they have the ability to move to a better location, this eatery will soon be closed.

Mark.
September 5th, 2009, 11:29 pm
mwooldri

Oh wow, that's supersad.... we almost went there the other day.... but ended up going to Brixx instead....

I've got to admit a few things though.... breaking into the breaded fish market here in Greensboro which is saturated with fish places probably isn't the brightest idea.... secondly, from going to a lot of these places, a lot of people aren't familiar with this type of food serving.... (A lot of fish goers are shrimp and steak people) and lastly a lot of people around here go to these restaurants to relax, or celebrate after church, etc... and their venue was more of a to-go place.

Which begs the question.... Why did Greensboro ultimately end up rejecting such an obviously European style horse stall style low-cost food?

I don't know... I'm saddened and dismayed...

It is however good to know I can still get it at Mcoul's.
September 6th, 2009, 8:25 am
Liv

Follow Me
Serendipitous wrote:
Thanks for sharing your opinion... I'll be sure to come back and share my review after my first meal there. I sure hope I don't get any Asian cooties from it. :evil:

Can you actually GET Asian Cooties that way? Please let me know- because if one can, I'll go there for lunch every day this week. Once infected, I'll have long straight silky hair instead of long wavy hair that goes nutzoid in humid weather!

Believe me, with all the Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese and Chinese food we've cooked at home over the years and eaten at restaurants I should have come down with the Asian Cooties by now, dammit. Maybe you can only get them from a restaurant operated by an Asian family which sells English-style fish and chips...
The Rapture already happened. All the good Christians are gone. We're stuck with the rejects.

"Why would anyone pray in private where no one can see you?"- BHL
September 6th, 2009, 12:24 pm
C. Alice

Return to Food