·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Scotch Eggs Recipe

by Liv | Published on January 15th, 2009, 11:01 am | Food
scotch_eggs_2.jpg

One of the recipes I knew I had to have in the book was Scotch Eggs. I actually got around to doing them last night. It was the first time I've ever made them, but I knew right off the bat I'd love them. Of course I had to see if I could work it out so they'd be low fat, but they came out perfect on the first try! If you've never had one, you've got to try them. Just take 8 hard boiled eggs, wrap in sausage (I use Turkey), dip in eggs (I use substitute) and roll in bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes at 350F and voila!

Dip in A-1, HP or hot sauce...

Traditionally they're deep fried, and I'm quite certain they'd be even better like that.... but I'll wait till I'm at an actual pub to try that version.
scotch_eggs.jpg
scotch_eggs_3.jpg

Liv wrote:dip in eggs (I use substitute)

Why? Do you find it more effective at holding breadcrumbs together?

I'm not a fan of Scotch eggs, but then I've never tried making them myself. The ones I've had served in pubs were not very nice - usually cheap sausage meat and the whole thing is dry and unappetising as the egg gets cooked twice and I like my eggs runny.

I'm sure they'd be nicer home made and fresh.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
January 15th, 2009, 11:11 am
A Person

It seemed to work well, I've only tried it using a traditionally egg bread crumb batter.... I'd like to try it with corn flakes to be honest...

They were quite good.
January 15th, 2009, 11:13 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Oops... first I misread that as "Scotch & Eggs"...

Those look good though. I might have to give 'em a shot.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
January 15th, 2009, 4:22 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

I have never thought about making these, but now I really fancy getting some at Tesco this evening
January 16th, 2009, 2:54 am
smiler125

Well according to wikipedia, Tesco's version's aren't quite that good:

However, in the UK at least, they have acquired an unfashionable, downmarket reputation due to the preponderance of pre-packed, plastic-wrapped Scotch eggs sold at convenience stores and motorway service stations.

Home-made, though, they rock... It's like a breakfast all in one bite.... like a huge protein ball... they should market these for joggers who don't have the time for breakfast.
January 16th, 2009, 8:21 am
Liv

We've been making these at home for awhile now. I got addicted to them at football tailgates and steeplechase car-parties.
I put the waw sausage between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll with a rolling pin or a heavy glass jar or bottle. Makes it easier to wrap around the eggs. Don't add aditional eggs to the bread crumbs- I put the crumbs on one of the same sheets of wax paper and roll the sausage-covered eggs till they're covered. We bake ours, rather than fry them ( since we're not having ours with booze on the side and therefore don't need the additional fat to soak up all the bourbon typically consumed at those tailgates !) We serve ours with either homemade Cumberland sauce (an okay but not perfect recipe at ttp://www.cooksrecipes.com/sauce/cumber ... ecipe.html ) or a grainy mustard sauce on the side.
"Those who embrace the deity of Christ rather than the morals of Christ are not religious…they are pseudo-religious and dangerous to our national interests.”
- Thomas Jefferson
January 16th, 2009, 2:48 pm
C. Alice

I have never thought of making Scotch Eggs because of their well deserved reputation. But I can see that they might be nice hot and home made. It's a bit like sausage rolls - the commercial ones are really crappy because of the nasty cheap sausage = but if they are home made they can be really nice.
January 16th, 2009, 8:42 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:I have never thought of making Scotch Eggs because of their well deserved reputation. But I can see that they might be nice hot and home made. It's a bit like sausage rolls - the commercial ones are really crappy because of the nasty cheap sausage = but if they are home made they can be really nice.

You have an invite for breakfast then. I'd mail you some, but even overnighted and cooled with dry ice they wouldn't be good for too long.
Besides, you know there would be a cross-border conspiracy between disgruntled USPS and CPS employees to damage, lose or delay delivery for a month...

They really are good. The well-deserved reputation they have amongst cooks for being a pain in the arse to make comes from the battle to wrap raw sausage around an egg - and then having it stick. Rolling sausage out into uniformly thin sheets helps a lot. I'd only ever had then fried at those tailgate parties but they taste every bit as wonderful baked.
January 17th, 2009, 10:18 am
C. Alice

I was worried about the sausage too, but it really was very easy.... I just made a patty in my hand and wrapper it up around, then treated it like a cookie ball. I think each "large" egg takes about 1/4 lb of sausage to wrap.... I might try small next time, but these came out gorgeous. I imagine if they're deep-fried, they're awesome!
January 17th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Liv

Return to Food