·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Frisch's Big Boy Tartar Sauce

by Liv | Published on January 29th, 2009, 1:10 pm | Food
frischs_big_boy_tartar_sauce.jpg
Despite the pain, the suffering and the chaos.... the show must go on... Greensboring that is. I'm trying to get back to blogging, as I've got so much to share but not a lot strength to get to it all right now.

One of the things I've never really blogged about, which I always hit when we're back in Ohio is Frisch's and subsequently to get some of their Tartar Sauce. This was along with the Landjagers, Vernors, & Tony Packos..

You may be vaguely aware of Big Boys as the chain is still alive and well in the US. Most of them are "Bob's" these days, and most people are unaware that "Big Boy" franchises were allowed to customize their restaurants with different sauces & tastes. The true "Big Boy", the best of the best (as they say in Top Gun) is "Frisch's", and there's been one directly behind Grandma's house since my mother lived there as a child. We could litterally walk through the back gate of the yard, down the power line corridor about 15 feet and be in Frisch's parking lot.

super_big_boy.jpg

A Big Boy for the uninitiated is basically a Big Mac, but than again it's so much more. In fact it was the Big Boy which McDonald's developed the Big Mac from, and later became "their" flagship sandwich. I find it interesting that here is another example of a innovator on the verge of distinction by a competitor which imitated them. The truth is though, the Big Boy is so much better. I'm not sure I can describe how it's different, but the tartar sauce is definitely a key in it. It's creamy, thick and rich. It's zesty, flavorful and unlike anything you can get here in the south. The best part is dipping french fries in the sauce.

If you get a chance to order some online, or are driving through Ohio, be sure to pick some up. For me and my jar, we will be enjoying each other tonight on some lovely hamburgers.

Return to Food