·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Gang violence in nature

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on November 9th, 2009, 11:42 am | Science
Biologists have been puzzled over several porpoise deaths lately off the California coast. The animals were found severely beaten, and washed up on the shores. Now it seems that the answer has been found -- a roving gang of dolphins has been filmed beating one to death and purposely drowning it.

The biologists looking into this are guessing this may be a matter of male dolphins releasing sexual frustration in the absence of available females to mate with. I can't help wondering why they would attack members of a different species, though. Some sort of cetacean racism? Perhaps some issues with competition for dwindling food supplies? Lots of possibilities. Still, the notion is rather disturbing to me for some reason. The idea of a group of animals ganging up on single outsiders to kill them -- especially when they're so very close in appearance -- just reminds me too closely of some very ugly human behavior.

Almost every animal has rather some rather nasty behaviour. Chimps kill baby chimps, even vegetarian elephants, which everyone think of as gentle giants, kill
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
November 9th, 2009, 2:30 pm
A Person

I know very little about Marine Biology... Shan is the expert.... but err... maybe it's just a game, or being overly playful? They use to love to play with the boats when we'd go out to the islands.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
November 9th, 2009, 2:30 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I think it's rather that animals (including people) have moods and can exhibit loving and caring behaviours and occasionally gang up on a defenceless individual and beat them to death.

Good caring Christian folk would occasionally lynch and burn Negroes alive. You probably wouldn't think it if you had had church picnic with them.

It's even more common with gangs of young males who will beat other people or animals just because they're high on testosterone and haven't been laid recently.
November 9th, 2009, 3:16 pm
A Person

Return to Science