·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Magnetic Morality

by A Person | Published on April 7th, 2010, 9:29 pm | Science
The BBC reports on an interesting study of how moral judgements can be influenced by the environment - specifically electromagnetic pulses to the brain

The researchers subjected 20 volunteers to a number of tests designed to assess their notions of right and wrong.

In one scenario participants were asked how acceptable it was for a man to let his girlfriend walk across a bridge he knew to be unsafe.

After receiving a 500 millisecond magnetic pulse to the scalp, the volunteers delivered verdicts based on outcome rather than moral principle.

If the girlfriend made it across the bridge safely, her boyfriend was not seen as having done anything wrong.

In effect, they were unable to make moral judgments that require an understanding of other people's intentions.

The MIT team pinpointed the region in volunteers using a sophisticated functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) brain scan.

They then targeted the area using a technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to create weak electric currents that temporarily stop brain cells working normally.

In one test, volunteers were exposed to TMS for 25 minutes before reading stories involving morally questionable characters, and being asked to judge their actions.

In a second experiment, volunteers were subjected to a much shorter 500 millisecond TMS burst while being asked to make a moral judgement.

In both cases, the researchers found that when the RTPJ was disrupted volunteers were more likely to judge actions solely on the basis of whether they caused harm - not whether they were morally wrong in themselves.

Morally dubious acts with a "happy" ending were often deemed acceptable.

Sarah-Jayne Blakemore, a brain expert at University College London, said the findings were insightful.

"The study suggests that this region - the RTPJ - is necessary for moral reasoning.

"What is interesting is that this is a region that is very late developing - into adolescence and beyond right into the 20s.

"The next step would be to look at how or whether moral development changes through childhood into adulthood."

It seems that the RTPJ region is very important for empathy and abstraction - thinking about the thoughts and beliefs of others and may have. It seems to have a lot to do with our feelings of spirituality.

A Person wrote:It seems that the RTPJ region is very important for empathy and abstraction - thinking about the thoughts and beliefs of others and may have.

And appears to be nearly non-functional in far too many people for my liking...
April 8th, 2010, 5:57 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Given that it can be affected by magnetic fields, I wonder what other environmental factors can affect it. Diet, stress, temperature, pollutants etc.
April 8th, 2010, 9:06 am
A Person

I'm curious... isn't the condition of autism something like an extreme lack of ability to empathize? In other words, some forms of autism (so I've heard) is a matter of not being able to see other people as being "human."
April 8th, 2010, 9:30 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

I think you have a valid point. 'Theory of Mind' is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires and intentions that are different from one's own.

Autism is a ToM impairment and it seems that a similar condition can be induced with a magnetic field. I wondoer how it could be reversed?
April 8th, 2010, 11:10 am
A Person

A Person wrote:I think you have a valid point. 'Theory of Mind' is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires and intentions that are different from one's own.

Autism is a ToM impairment and it seems that a similar condition can be induced with a magnetic field. I wondoer how it could be reversed?

Hm -- the idea of developing a technology to ACTIVATE a brain function is pretty far out there. If it could be developed, just imagine how that would affect the human quality of life. If I had the talent, I'd be busy dreaming up a science fiction story about it.
:?
April 8th, 2010, 11:16 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

You don't need talent to dream up a story. You need talent to write and sell it.

I have a USB EEG scanner and software. I bought it to help the kids through their dyslexia. Using neurofeedback you can learn to control the various brainwave cycles. I hooked it up to a remote controlled robot and was able to get it to start and stop by relaxing. It was weird to make something happen through thought - but as soon as you started thinking about it the vehicle stopped.
April 8th, 2010, 1:51 pm
A Person

A Person's Article wrote:Morally dubious acts with a "happy" ending were often deemed acceptable.

Sounds like almost every movie in the 80's and 90's.

It's also the mantra of American life... "The cowboy" behavior. Risky dangerous behavior is okay as long as it gets the job done. I've had employers even encourage it.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
April 10th, 2010, 6:37 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Science