·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Bringing Monkeys Back From the Dead

by A Person | Published on June 30th, 2010, 11:35 am | Science
The San Diego Zoo has announced a plan to use frozen skin cells from a dead endangered drill monkey, convert them into sperm using viruses, and use them to impregnate female monkeys

New Scientist

deadsex.jpg

Interesting trick. Wonder what sort of problems would be found when trying to create a population with such low genetic diversity? Would it be a long-tern futile effort? Or would it be simply a project to learn how to do this in hopes of reviving other species in the future?
June 30th, 2010, 11:41 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Surely BHL would offer his sperm, no? He wouldn't all those possible babies aborted?
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
June 30th, 2010, 12:42 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

But do the monkeys love Jesus? It's a requirement

lovejesus.jpg
June 30th, 2010, 12:46 pm
A Person

So lets say scientist create a monkey human hybrid (quite possibly already have) ... Would it be okay to abort one under Biblical law?
June 30th, 2010, 1:00 pm
Liv

The team's long-term goal is to coax iPS cells into becoming sperm and eggs.You could actually breed from animals that are dead.The sperm and eggs could be used in IVF treatments to add genetic diversity to captive breeding programmes.
July 6th, 2010, 2:20 pm
lewis

Another mangled quote from the original article.

The team's long-term goal is to coax iPS cells into becoming sperm and eggs. They will be making iPS cells from tissue held by San Diego zoo's Frozen Zoo project - which has samples from some 8400 individuals representing more than 800 species. The sperm and eggs could be used in IVF treatments to add genetic diversity to captive breeding programmes. "You could actually breed from animals that are dead," says Loring

Is Lewis is about to spring spam upon us?
July 6th, 2010, 2:24 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Another mangled quote from the original article.

Is Lewis is about to spring spam upon us?

I assume so.... these spammers are getting more creative... the IP is from India... which typically is the case...
July 6th, 2010, 3:34 pm
Liv

Return to Science