·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Swallowtail butterflies

by A Person | Published on July 9th, 2010, 11:24 am | Science
I'm laying in bed looking at the lilac bush just outside my window (yes I know it's 10:00 am, but it's sunny with a refreshing cool breeze and it's going to be my last long weekend for a while). it's covered in tiger swallowtail (Papilio rutulus) butterflies, I thought I'd share with you

PICT0252a.jpg

I haven't see a lot of butterflies around here this year... Think it's been too hot....
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
July 9th, 2010, 12:11 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Wow, thats beautiful. Thanks AP!
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 9th, 2010, 12:16 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Most insects are fun to watch. Butterflies more so than most, however. Great little critters.
July 9th, 2010, 1:09 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
A small correction. I called it a Papilio rutulus but it is actually a Papilio canadensis

It used to be considered a subspecies of the Southern Tiger Swallowtail, but the Canadian Tiger Swallowtail has evolved to neutralise the poinsons in aspen and birch leaves (the food of the caterpiller)

The immature larvae look like bird droppings to discourage predation

Although it's less showy to look at, the monarch butterfly is one of my favourites for the migration it undertakes - from Canada to Mexico. Individuals don't make it all the way there and back but the flock does
July 9th, 2010, 11:17 pm
A Person

Return to Science