·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

"Grim Sleeper" arrest and genetic searches

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on July 9th, 2010, 1:34 pm | Science
Yesterday, a fix-it man was arrested and charged with 10 murders as the "Grim Sleeper" serial killer. He was found because of comparison between DNA from some of the crime scenes and the DNA of his son, who was in jail for his own set of crimes.

Some folks are saying this is wrong, a violation of privacy rights. Seems to me that it should be considered a valid police investigation technique. And, if it turns out that this fellow's DNA doesn't actually match the evidence from the crime scenes, he'll be set free and exonerated, and not really much harm done.

Thoughts?

If he is found not guity then I hardly think the defendent would think there was no harm done. Other than that I do agree with your other statements.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
July 9th, 2010, 2:22 pm
BecauseHeLives

Sure, if he is innocent, then there was a mistake made. But you know, people get arrested and tried for many things that they turn out to be innocent of. That's life. This technique is the thing in question, really: might it be declared unconstitutional? I have a hunch it will be put before the supreme court if it turns out that its utility is questionable. But you know, if they put this guy away forever, and most everyone else that gets picked up this way also turns out to be guilty, I don't think many people will be all that upset over it.
July 9th, 2010, 2:36 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Honestly I don't see what the deal is.... As long as they're not out there doing road blocks of DNA tests... (which oddly was a plot for a episode of Dexter) then I say fair game. Someone who hasn't committed a crime has the right to privacy, but in this case, well, oh well so swell.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
July 9th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

It's a lot better than getting him in a dark room and waterboarding him
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
July 9th, 2010, 6:48 pm
A Person

Return to Science