·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

The Truth about Global Warming

by Liv | Published on September 3rd, 2007, 12:53 pm | Science
I didn't think about the A/C and gas consumption... but that makes sense as well. The car stays cooler, so the compressor cycles less often, and thereby creates less drag on the engine, resulting in better fuel mileage....

I'm going to paint the roof of my car white NOW!

300Differencebetweenpolaricecapsin1979vs2003.jpg
300Differencebetweenpolaricecapsin1979vs2003.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 985 times

And think... it's been 4 years since then.
September 10th, 2007, 10:26 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Posted in Environment
If you have been debating the merits of the Global Warming Mania that has been circling the globe the last several years the following article may be of interest to you. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/scien ... .html?8dpc

I have been very careful not to become a part of the sometimes virulent debate going on between the Pros and Cons of the Global Warming Debate because I really don’t know any more than the basics of the scientific fields needed to make a judgment. I can however see plainly, and I have seen the glaciers in the western United States and Canada recede over just a period of ten years from the first time we saw them in 1990 to the last time in 2001. I can also view the unhealthy coloration of trees that are thousands of years old.

The giant Sequoias are indestructible. The only way they can die is to literally topple over from their own weight and pull their roots system out of the earth and therefore starve to death. But there is a difference in the appearance of pine needles collected 50 years ago and those collected during these past years. The pine cones which take 30 years to mature are also showing some visible changes from those collected in the past 100 years.

These changes that I have seen in my environment tells me something is happening. And it isn’t anything we humans can call good for our existence as we have been going about using the earth’s resources.

As I said, the above article is interesting and has several references to other articles also. BB
October 2nd, 2007, 4:02 pm
BrendaBee

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316566,00.html

Part of the scientific consensus on global warming may be flawed, a new study asserts.

The researchers compared predictions of 22 widely used climate "models" — elaborate schematics that try to forecast how the global weather system will behave — with actual readings gathered by surface stations, weather balloons and orbiting satellites over the past three decades.

The study, published online this week in the International Journal of Climatology, found that while most of the models predicted that the middle and upper parts of the troposphere —1 to 6 miles above the Earth's surface — would have warmed drastically over the past 30 years, actual observations showed only a little warming, especially over tropical regions.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
December 12th, 2007, 1:54 pm
BecauseHeLives

Haven't had time to read the article yet, but I wonder how much the temps in the troposphere '1 to 6 miles above the Earth's surface, influence surface temps. If this is valid research it will be added to the equation, though.
December 12th, 2007, 2:00 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:Haven't had time to read the article yet, but I wonder how much the temps in the troposphere '1 to 6 miles above the Earth's surface, influence surface temps. If this is valid research it will be added to the equation, though.

I hate to quote myself, but I misunderstood what I read. What it says is that predictions made by scientific models do not correspond with results. Sorry. Again, if this is a valid and correct study, that information must be added to the full picture of climate change.
December 12th, 2007, 2:04 pm
Nfidel

I was listening to the news last night and they were saying that 4 of the hottest years in the last 100 years occurred in the 1930s. That's not good ammo for those global warming activists with short memories.
December 12th, 2007, 2:13 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:I was listening to the news last night and they were saying that 4 of the hottest years in the last 100 years occurred in the 1930s. That's not good ammo for those global warming activists with short memories.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.. Wasn't it not just air temperature of the atmosphere but also water temp/salinity and weather intensity that is the problem with 'global warming'?
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
December 12th, 2007, 2:24 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

One only needs to look at the Ice Caps melting now in comparison to 1930 to see that Global Warming is much more severe today.

We are approaching a time where North Carolina will never see snow again... It's kind of sad.
December 12th, 2007, 3:27 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:One only needs to look at the Ice Caps melting now in comparison to 1930 to see that Global Warming is much more severe today.

We are approaching a time where North Carolina will never see snow again... It's kind of sad.

That's a "sky is falling mentality" look at the situation.
December 12th, 2007, 3:49 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:That's a "sky is falling mentality" look at the situation.

Please explain? Is there no data to show the icecaps are melting at a greater volume/rate then 1930's? Has the snowfall amount decreased to an almost negligible point?
December 12th, 2007, 3:58 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:

Please explain? Is there no data to show the icecaps are melting at a greater volume/rate then 1930's? Has the snowfall amount decreased to an almost negligible point?

Does it mean that since the 1930's was the warmest recorded decade in the last hundred years that the United States is getting colder? Same logic just different data. The planet isn't going through anything that it hasn't gone through before and if there is true global warming going on it's not been brought on my humankind. We made contribute to it a very very very small bit but if it's going to happen its going to happen.
December 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:

Does it mean that since the 1930's was the warmest recorded decade in the last hundred years that the United States is getting colder?

Can you clarify? I don't follow.
December 12th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Sanjuro

I was simply using the same logic as you guys. State a statistic then draw a wild conclusion from it.
December 12th, 2007, 4:44 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:I was simply using the same logic as you guys. State a statistic then draw a wild conclusion from it.

Re-read Liv's post. So you're saying drawing the conclusion that a warmer climate would cause more ice melt than a cooler one is a wild conclusion? Are you off your nut?
December 12th, 2007, 4:49 pm
Sanjuro

One only needs to look at the Ice Caps melting now in comparison to 1930 to see that Global Warming is much more severe today.

December 12th, 2007, 4:52 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:

Thats hardly a wild conclusion. Its not like she was saying the world was ending.
December 12th, 2007, 4:55 pm
Sanjuro

Athabasca Glacier 1907-1998 (Whyte Museum & Brian Luckman).jpg

Yes, but your little scenario doesn't have pictures of a glacier which took hundreds of thousands of years to form, be pratically erased in the last 100 years
December 12th, 2007, 5:35 pm
Liv

global-warming-3.jpg

Here's another shot of the Athabasca Glacier, in color.... 100 Years ago, the glacier extended to that number marker you see.
December 12th, 2007, 5:39 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:
Athabasca Glacier 1907-1998 (Whyte Museum & Brian Luckman).jpg

Yes, but your little scenario doesn't have pictures of a glacier which took hundreds of thousands of years to form, be pratically erased in the last 100 years

Maybe hundreds of years to form. Certainly not thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years. They certainly aren't older than say... 4600 years.
December 12th, 2007, 6:04 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:Maybe hundreds of years to form. Certainly not thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years. They certainly aren't older than say... 4600 years.

You see, that's my problem with "your" way of thinking. I'm all for being liberal and considering religion as a possibility, but when it causes a person not to do something not "good" regardless of the facts, it's really frustrating.
It's that ability in the face of clear and obvious proof, you ignore it, and think "my idea" is better.

Not one serious scientist now thinks Global warming isn't a problem.
Heat activated bacteria, and viruses are becoming more common, and appearing earlier each year.
Droughts of unseen proportions are happening across the world (including here.)
Rapid regional climate changes are occurring throughout the wold.
Ocean levels are rising.
Air temperatures have risen.
Major Extinction level evens (hurricanes, tornadoes, cyclones, etc.) have increased in destruction.
The Ice caps and glaciers are melting at enormous rates. I mean, look at the Larsen Ice Shelf a area of Antarctica the size of Rhode Island (a state) disappeared.

How can you not find this shocking? Sure you argue one point here, and there... but the big picture is there, and it's clearly undeniable.
December 12th, 2007, 9:29 pm
Liv

You see, that's my problem with "your" way of thinking. I'm all for being liberal and considering religion as a possibility, but when it causes a person not to do something not "good" regardless of the facts, it's really frustrating.

First thing you have to realize is that I'm basing my opinion on my thoughts. Not religion. You think this global warming is all cut and dry and that people that don't agree with you must be crazy delusional not to see the "truth" of global warming. That's just not the case. There are people out there that choose to examine the facts more closely because adjusting for a global warming that doesn't actually exist can have equally devasting affects on the economies and welfare of people around the world.

It's that ability in the face of clear and obvious proof, you ignore it, and think "my idea" is better.

My opinion is that you are WAY to quick say clear and obvious. It may SEEM obvious to you but it's not that clearcut to many other people out there.

Not one serious scientist now thinks Global warming isn't a problem.

Regardless of what you think there are PLENTY of scientist, respectable scientists, that disagree with many of the global warming alarmists. And no... if a scientist doesn't agree with all of global warming it doesn't discount him/her as noit being a "serious" scientist. In fact around 20,000 scientists, of whom about 2,700 of them are physicists, geophysicists, climatologists, meteorologists, oceanographers or environmental scientists, who are in a position to understand the global warming issues, have signed the following statement:

There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

Source: http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p37.htm.

Heat activated bacteria, and viruses are becoming more common, and appearing earlier each year.

This is the first I've heard of this. If this is happening could it not possibly be explained because we've had a fairly warm decade? Makes sense to me.

Droughts of unseen proportions are happening across the world (including here.)

Global precipitation has actually increased 1% per decade during the twentieth century. How do you explain that? Localized droughts does not equal global warming.

Rapid regional climate changes are occurring throughout the wold.

And they have for centuries. Such temperature changes in Greenland are related to the atmospheric circulation and would affect much of the Northern Hemisphere. Such rapid changes are indeed scary, but their deductions are based on their wrong interpretations of ice cores as a result of their assumption that the ice sheets are millions of years old

Ocean levels are rising.

They've been rising for 1000's of years. Just go look at all of the discovered underwater cities.

Air temperatures have risen.

Over the years measurement techniques of land and ship temperatures have changed. For terrestrial stations, the instrument shelters have changed locations, the type of thermometer has changed, the time of observation has changed and the microclimate around the shelter has changed. Man-made effects that are unrelated to increased.

Major Extinction level evens (hurricanes, tornadoes, cyclones, etc.) have increased in destruction.

It seems like many doomsayers believe all bad weather is caused by global warming. One of the problems with such misinformation is that people have short memories or do not read weather history. This stuff has happened for centuries. The only reason they are becoming more destructive is that our population areas are getting larger.

The Ice caps and glaciers are melting at enormous rates. I mean, look at the Larsen Ice Shelf a area of Antarctica the size of Rhode Island (a state) disappeared.

Yet the Anatartica area is actually COOLING. From about 1400 to 1880, the Little Ice Age occurred, in which practically all the glaciers in the world advanced, whereas now they are receding. At times people could ice skate on the Thames River in London, whereas that is unthinkable today. The Little Ice Age was likely caused by the combination of slightly less energy from the sun and more volcanism, both of which allow the surface of the earth to cool. There were periods during the Little Ice Age in which the sun exhibited few sunspots. Few sunspots cause a cooler solar temperature and less solar radiation because the stronger compensating effect of solar faculae is also reduced. Before the Little Ice Age, there was the Medieval Warm Period. So natural fluctuations in the past have been significant.

How can you not find this shocking? Sure you argue one point here, and there... but the big picture is there, and it's clearly undeniable.

I find it quite shocking that more people aren't questioning the data that Al Gore and his goons are putting out there. It can be deniable and it is by many.

Disclaimer: Many of the arguments above were taken from other sites. I'm just too lazy to give credit.
December 12th, 2007, 11:15 pm
BecauseHeLives

Maybe hundreds of years to form. Certainly not thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years. They certainly aren't older than say... 4600 years.

And they have for centuries. Such temperature changes in Greenland are related to the atmospheric circulation and would affect much of the Northern Hemisphere. Such rapid changes are indeed scary, but their deductions are based on their wrong interpretations of ice cores as a result of their assumption that the ice sheets are millions of years old

I await the names of the reputable scientists who believe this.
I wouldn't call you a climate change denier but a science denier, based on your "opinions" quoted above.
December 12th, 2007, 11:45 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:

I await the names of the reputable scientists who believe this.
I wouldn't call you a climate change denier but a science denier, based on your "opinions" quoted above.

I gave you a link to the names. Follow it if you are curious. Those weren't my opinions but rather facts given by educated scientists.
December 13th, 2007, 12:01 am
BecauseHeLives

I gave you a link to the names. Follow it if you are curious. Those weren't my opinions but rather facts given by educated scientists.

No where at the link did they talk about ice cores being only a few thousand years old. In fact, your link took me to a petition. From there I followed a link to an article that speaks of 650,000 year old ice cores.

I guess you must have followed other links from that site like I did, and found the Discovery Institute . That's where the science deniers live. If it might hurt business or Jesus they are against it. Hardly a science based site. If anybody feels like a little fun, just Google the names of their board of directors and see what they're really about.
December 13th, 2007, 12:34 am
Nfidel

Return to Science