·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

The Truth about Global Warming

by HOPOMaster | Published on December 13th, 2007, 10:08 am | Science
BecauseHeLives wrote:
Nfidel wrote:I await the names of the reputable scientists who believe this.
I wouldn't call you a climate change denier but a science denier, based on your "opinions" quoted above.

I gave you a link to the names. Follow it if you are curious. Those weren't my opinions but rather facts given by educated scientists.

I was kind of hoping to stay out of this, because I know it won't make any difference what I say to you, but exactly how many of those scientists are (a) working at accredited universities AND (b) publishing in peer-reviewed journals, preferably with high impact scores? (With B being the more important of the two.) You can cry foul all you want, you can say "Oh, that's just the liberal bias in academia! Blah, blah, blah..." until you're hoarse, but in the end, that's what signifies valid scientific research, where unbiased third parties can review your work and say it's valid. I'd suspect the amount of anti-global warming research that fits all of that criteria is slim to none, this stuff included. And by the way, just saying that the scientists are "educated" doesn't necessarily mean that much, as I've known some "educated" scientists who are pretty stupid.

James

Christian reluctance to jump on global warming bandwagon attributed to skepticism of evolution

The following is an excellent article that details the position that many in in the Christian community hold towards the global warming issue. No ad hominem attacks please.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2005/0908ct.asp

Another interesting thought is the idea that global warning may have even been foretold in Revelations. The seven last plagues occured during the last year of earth’s history. Global warming may be occurring during the fourth plague as described in Revelation 16:8,9

“And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.”
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
December 13th, 2007, 1:19 pm
BecauseHeLives

Holy double post, Batman!

BurtWard.jpg
BurtWard.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 770 times
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
December 13th, 2007, 1:27 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

BecauseHeLives wrote:I find it quite shocking that more people aren't questioning the data that Al Gore and his goons are putting out there. It can be deniable and it is by many.

Disclaimer: Many of the arguments above were taken from other sites. I'm just too lazy to give credit.

I don't! I think he's wrong.. see chart below

piratesarecool4.gif

The answers are right there, and one cannot argue the obvious conclusions.
December 13th, 2007, 3:03 pm
Sanjuro

THAT was funny!
December 13th, 2007, 3:10 pm
BecauseHeLives

Ok, I will post something of relevance here that speaks directly to your post.

This is something that I came across. I think they make some valid points:

http://makewealthhistory.org/2007/11/16 ... te-change/
December 13th, 2007, 3:30 pm
Sanjuro

I jumped on the bandwagon in Feb 2007 with a blog post at:

solxray.gif.png
solxray.gif.png (127.42 KiB) Viewed 315 times

http://multifacetedchristianity.blogspot.com/2007/05/im-afraid-of-global-warming.html
December 13th, 2007, 3:32 pm
royaldiadem

BecauseHeLives wrote:Another interesting thought is the idea that global warning may have even been foretold in Revelations. The seven last plagues occured during the last year of earth’s history. Global warming may be occurring during the fourth plague as described in Revelation 16:8,9

“And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.”

Revelation 16? Looks like you and RD missed out on the Rapture then.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
December 13th, 2007, 4:28 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:Another interesting thought is the idea that global warning may have even been foretold in Revelations. The seven last plagues occured during the last year of earth’s history. Global warming may be occurring during the fourth plague as described in Revelation 16:8,9

Revelation 16? Looks like you and RD missed out on the Rapture then.

You are assuming that the full extent of a global warming has actually happened.
December 13th, 2007, 4:32 pm
BecauseHeLives

You mean the world has started warming BEFORE the Angel has poured his vial on the sun? A prescient sun?
December 13th, 2007, 4:41 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:You mean the world has started warming BEFORE the Angel has poured his vial on the sun? A prescient sun?

You sure are dense since coming back from your "vacation". Global warming is NOT happening right now.
December 13th, 2007, 4:56 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote: No ad hominem attacks please.

Brother,... Did you hit your head?

;-)

Sterling
December 13th, 2007, 4:59 pm
royaldiadem

BecauseHeLives wrote:You sure are dense since coming back from your "vacation".
No vacation. I had more important things to deal with, my father was in intensive care and died last week.

BecauseHeLives wrote:Global warming is NOT happening right now.

Silly me. I was confused by your words
BecauseHeLives wrote: Global warming may be occurring during the fourth plague as described in Revelation 16:8,9

'Be occurring' is the present tense so I foolishly assumed you were referring to the present.
December 13th, 2007, 5:06 pm
A Person

A Person, I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. Tough times I am sure.
December 13th, 2007, 7:33 pm
BecauseHeLives

Here's another good editorial that gives some good igures on the impact of signing the global warming treaties. Unless Liv and everyone else is willing to take a 40-50% pay cut then you might want to make sure that global warming is actually happening before you jump on the bandwagon with both feet.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316749,00.html
December 14th, 2007, 8:56 am
BecauseHeLives

U.S. Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007

Over 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries recently voiced significant objections to major aspects of the so-called "consensus" on man-made global warming. These scientists, many of whom are current and former participants in the UN IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), criticized the climate claims made by the UN IPCC and former Vice President Al Gore.

The new report issued by the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee’s office of the GOP Ranking Member details the views of the scientists, the overwhelming majority of whom spoke out in 2007.

Even some in the establishment media now appear to be taking notice of the growing number of skeptical scientists. In October, the Washington Post Staff Writer Juliet Eilperin conceded the obvious, writing that climate skeptics "appear to be expanding rather than shrinking." Many scientists from around the world have dubbed 2007 as the year man-made global warming fears “bite the dust.” (LINK) In addition, many scientists who are also progressive environmentalists believe climate fear promotion has "co-opted" the green movement. (LINK)

The rest of the story can be found here: http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm? ... 63dc2d02cb
December 21st, 2007, 10:51 am
BecauseHeLives

You know, in Russia they used to tell their citizens that Americans never made it to space, and that the Space Shuttle didn't exist. Propaganda from a corrupt government is hardly going to sway the truth.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
December 21st, 2007, 1:29 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Didn't a similar number come out in the 80's to say cigarettes didn't cause cancer?
December 21st, 2007, 1:34 pm
Sanjuro

true or not, provable or not. We should make efforts to treat the environment better.
December 21st, 2007, 1:34 pm
Matt

Matt wrote:true or not, provable or not. We should make efforts to treat the environment better.

That's my take on this whole thing. I feel that yes, there are cycles the earth goes through, but one cannot discount the enormous effect our indiscretion has had on the environment.To say that we don't have an effect on at least perhaps speeding up a cycle is really naive and doesn't excuse us from improving like the other western nations.
December 21st, 2007, 1:39 pm
Sanjuro

Matt wrote:true or not, provable or not. We should make efforts to treat the environment better.

Good statement Matt and very simply put.

I haven't made up my mind on human-caused global warming yet although I will say that if I'm leaning in a direction it would be that I don't believe it's happening and IF it is happening I have a hard time believing we are that much of a contributor to it.

The consequenses could be catastrophic for the world if it's true and can't be reversed but the consequences for the US are far greater if it's not true and we react as if it is. Countries such as China, who are already beating us over the head with unfair trade practices and would be EXEMPT under the agreement, will get an even bigger lead in the world and would swallow us whole.

You think the standard of living here is the US has gone down in the last 20 years? Wait until China owns this country.
December 21st, 2007, 2:02 pm
BecauseHeLives

But seriously.... I went to the bank this morning to deposit a check I went through the drive-thru, and in the cold air I just watched the stuff coming out of the Nissan in front of me. It wasn't dirty, but I could see it because it was cold, and it really just made me sick to think of these cars just pumping invisible stink into the air... I immediately shut off my engine in disgust.
December 21st, 2007, 2:37 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

BecauseHeLives wrote:

I haven't made up my mind on human-caused global warming yet although I will say that if I'm leaning in a direction it would be that I don't believe it's happening and IF it is happening I have a hard time believing we are that much of a contributor to it.

The consequenses could be catastrophic for the world if it's true and can't be reversed but the consequences for the US are far greater if it's not true and we react as if it is. Countries such as China, who are already beating us over the head with unfair trade practices and would be EXEMPT under the agreement, will get an even bigger lead in the world and would swallow us whole.

You think the standard of living here is the US has gone down in the last 20 years? Wait until China owns this country.

That is where you and I part ways. I think that just as you have the extremists saying "the world will end in 10 years unless we do something" on one side, you have the other side with just as extreme a view screaming that "the red scare will ascend on us if we sign an accord". I dont see the countries that have signed under attack, and I think thats a scare tactic. I think the truth is somewhere in between.
December 21st, 2007, 2:39 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

That is where you and I part ways. I think that just as you have the extremists saying "the world will end in 10 years unless we do something" on one side, you have the other side with just as extreme a view screaming that "the red scare will ascend on us if we sign an accord". I dont see the countries that have signed under attack, and I think thats a scare tactic. I think the truth is somewhere in between.

You are likely correct. In either case I think our leaders ought to REALLY think through this situation and make the right decisions and not succumb to international pressure in that decision making. A wrong decision CAN be a disaster.
December 21st, 2007, 2:44 pm
BecauseHeLives

This study http://www.climatechange.ca.gov/events/ ... Akbari.pdf suggests that installing white or reflective roofs on all buildings in 100 cities could counter the effects of Global Warming for a decade or more.

1000 ft2 of a white roof, replacing a dark roof,
offset the emission of 10 tonnes of CO2

Probably cost less than the AIG bailout too.
September 23rd, 2008, 5:33 pm
A Person

Return to Science