·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Save the Space Shuttle from NASA.

by Liv | Published on August 22nd, 2007, 9:35 am | Science
shuttle.gif
shuttle.gif (12.66 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

First, not a joke. Second, I'm dead serious.

Every year some silly television show which has been on for ages is pulled by some studio executive at the height of its popularity. Why? I don't know. Then a group of people come along and petition and protest asking for the show to be saved. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I feel like the Space Shuttle needs the same kind of plea.

This may seem stupid to some, but I'm dead serious. I like the Space Shuttle. For the first 14 years of my life, I was convinced I would be a shuttle pilot. I used to write Nasa daily, asking for PR pictures, and information. I used to eat, sleep, and poop the space shuttle. The idea of it being replaced with a rocket that drops some Hershey Kiss capsule into the ocean has absolutely no sex appeal. Sure I'm a product of the eighties, so it's all I've ever known, but to think that in a few years our space program will be catastrophically de-evolve into a previous method of space flight is heart breaking to me. There is no way a rocket can possibly give me the chills that the shuttle does as it comes in for a landing, and comes to rest on the runway. It's a beautiful sight as this machine comes to rest and to know it's once again brought mankind from earth to space and then back to earth. Its re-usability is part of its appeal. Just as cars have personalities, it's amazing to think that the shuttle will be re-attached and flown again. It's nostalgic in a way.

Something will be lost. I'm not sure what exactly, but my gut just spins at the idea that we no longer will have the image of the massive shuttle sitting on it's launch platform as the sun rises. The idea of melting man's genius, and this mechanical robotic space vehicle into the American spirit. A metaphorical lift-off of our own triumph. The idea, that we can conquer anything. We can go to space, and come back in something we built. In retrospect, the Apollo style rocket seems like we've glued ourselves to a huge piece of metal and lopping it up into the sky.

No I'll be sad the day the last Shuttle lands. I'll probably cry. Some of you will never understand. Sure the current shuttle is old, and needs replacing, but let's replace it with a new shuttle, not a rocket. As crazy as it sounds, you might just lose public appeal by returning to a less "cool" method for going to space. If public opinion goes south, then the space program won't have any money. Let's do what's right, and build something that will draw the worlds attention back to our space program. Get kids excited, and interested in reaching and discovering new heights. Nasa, please save the shuttle. Save the greatest space vehicle ever. Please?

Oh man, I love the Shuttle. Something about it captures the imagination and I've been fortunate enough to see some of this stuff up close and personal. I have a 3 foot tall model of it somewhere and agree that a shuttle landing is a beautiful thing to behold.

That said, it's one of the most expensive vehicles in NASA's history. So much has to be replaced on that thing after every trip it makes the whole idea of 're-usability' a bit of a joke. It's old, expensive and never really lived up to its potential. Sad really. I remember the concepts they had in the late 70's and early 90's. The dream was truly alive again. But that all changed in 87 when Challenger exploded.

A new vehicle would have to be more streamlined, and simple in operation. I know how impressive the shuttle was launching, but man, Id LOVE to see one of those Saturn V rockets launch!!

On a side note, ever see the Russian version of the shuttle, the Buran?

snowburan.jpg
snowburan.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 675 times

bbur9.jpg
bbur9.jpg (115.7 KiB) Viewed 674 times

bbur7.jpg
bbur7.jpg (90.45 KiB) Viewed 673 times

They canceled the program and stored the hardware. Unfortunately it was destroyed when the roof of the hanger collapsed on it. :|

Yeah, I guess the days of the 'space plane' are over for NASA. But if riding in a tin can gets us to Mars faster, I got two questions; "Where do I empty the corn out?" and "How are you gonna fit me in it?"
August 22nd, 2007, 10:08 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

You know, the USSR had a shuttle that they sent up on one test mission. After the Soviet Union collapsed, no one ever talked of using it again. Strange, that.

But be that as it may... the Shuttle should have been superceded by a 21st century upgrade long before now. Supposedly our best and brightest have been learning from the problems they've encountered with the current fleet. You'd think we could have settled on a better, safer, more reusable design years ago.

But money for R&D from Congress is at a minimum. They'd prefer to spend money on the Pentagon than just about anything else. :?
August 22nd, 2007, 10:49 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:You know, the USSR had a shuttle that they sent up on one test mission. After the Soviet Union collapsed, no one ever talked of using it again. Strange, that.

Yup see my post and pics above yours. It was called the Buran.
August 22nd, 2007, 10:52 am
Sanjuro

I believe what they are working on is a smaller version that is more efficient and needs less maintainence. Something about vertical launch and land abilities. Going off of memerory.

Old article here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... 34782.html
August 22nd, 2007, 10:56 am
Matt

Matt wrote:I believe what they are working on is a smaller version that is more efficient and needs less maintainence. Something about vertical launch and land abilities. Going off of memerory.

Old article here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... 34782.html

From what I understand the Orion module is supposed to be the replacement.

167093main_orion_lunar_orbit_small.jpg
167093main_orion_lunar_orbit_small.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 649 times

185586main_Ist_stage_2_330.jpg
185586main_Ist_stage_2_330.jpg (14.27 KiB) Viewed 646 times

Read here:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/const ... index.html

Looks pretty retro to me.
August 22nd, 2007, 11:25 am
Sanjuro

Based on what I read, the Orion is not being designed as a replacement for the shuttle. It seems more to be a design for Moon missions. I think the shuttle will be replaced with a smaller space plane design, and heavy-lift launches will be done by one-use rockets...
August 23rd, 2007, 9:35 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Well from the article:

A component of the Vision for Space Exploration, Orion’s development is taking place in parallel with missions to complete the International Space Station using the space shuttle before the shuttle is retired in 2010.

Considering there is no other (NASA contracted) spacecraft in development, if the Shuttle goes in 2010, I think its safe to say this will 'replace' it since this will be the only operational space vehicle.
August 23rd, 2007, 9:53 am
Sanjuro

Sounds pathetic, doesn't it?
August 23rd, 2007, 10:15 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

You know you've got to remember they've been trying to privatize NASA for years, and with the X prize out of the way, I'm wondering if we're going to see a commercial alternative first.
August 23rd, 2007, 10:55 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:You know you've got to remember they've been trying to privatize NASA for years, and with the X prize out of the way, I'm wondering if we're going to see a commercial alternative first.

I do think that's the only thing that would save the space program. The govt sure as heck isn't going to spend the money on rockets... well THOSE rockets anyhow. Nor should they be expected to fund a ridiculous bureaucracy which I think is what NASA may have become.
August 23rd, 2007, 11:03 am
Sanjuro

Only a few more flights left to go. If you can... get to Cape Canaveral to watch one of these launches. They are cool things to see indeed. Especially the night launches. 8)
July 8th, 2008, 8:49 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Grrrrrr.

On the extended family trip to Florida (our family, my parents, my sister and her husband) there was a shuttle launch scheduled for the middle at 2am. I bought tickets to the special launch viewing site and was eagerly looking forward to it, only to have it postponed because of problems with the 'jumper cables'. They then told me the tickets were non-refundable but we could use them on the rescheduled date. When I pointed out that that would require flights from both sides of Canada and the UK they 'allowed' me to spend the money in the gift shop. What a disappointment. $300 worth of golf shirts, baseball hats and space pens was no substitute.

I have watched a small rocket launch from Jetty Park and was suitably impressed. The shuttle would have been an order of magnitude bigger.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
July 8th, 2008, 9:37 am
A Person

My son and I were fortunate enough to see 2 shuttle launches, many years ago. The first was a night launch just after sunset in late November. We watched from across the river, and got some truly spectacular photos. The second one was a daytime launch, and we saw that from beside a road leading to the space center. I only wish I could locate the pics we took on those trips. Both were fun adventures... we drove down just for the launches and on both occasions, they took place just after we had settled down to watch.

I just hope I'll be able to get my wife down to see one before the end.
July 8th, 2008, 11:13 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

I'd love to take the kids, but have always been afraid of the launch getting scrubbed.

So do they have the new Rockets ready to go?
July 8th, 2008, 1:13 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:I'd love to take the kids, but have always been afraid of the launch getting scrubbed.

This is one reason why you need to go with a few days' leeway in mind. I admit my two launch experiences were ridiculously lucky.
So do they have the new Rockets ready to go?

Oh hell naw! They'll be lucky to have them ready 2 years AFTER the shuttles are put out to pasture.
July 8th, 2008, 1:15 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Perhaps we'll go down then... I've been wanting to take the kids camping.... that would be kind of fun.... and not too bad of a drive.
July 8th, 2008, 1:29 pm
Liv

Yesterday, two shuttles (Atlantis and Endeavor) sat side by side on their launchpads. This resulted in a picture that was reminiscent of scenes depicted by artists who portrayed what the scope of the space program was conceptualized to be, years ago, as the 'norm' by now. Two shuttles on the launchpads are truly beautiful sights...
08pd2737-m.jpg

06.jpg

Via: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080920/ap_ ... _shuttle_9

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - In an unprecedented step, a space shuttle was moved to the launch pad Friday for a trip NASA hopes it will never make — a rescue mission. The shuttle Endeavour is on standby in case the seven astronauts who go up on Atlantis next month need a safer ride home.

Atlantis and its crew are headed into space for one last repair job on the 18-year-old Hubble Space Telescope. It's a venture that was canceled when first proposed a few years ago because it was considered too dangerous.

The risk is this: If Atlantis suffers serious damage during launch or in flight, the astronauts will not be at the international space station, where they could take refuge for weeks while awaiting a ride home. They would be stranded on their spacecraft at the Hubble, where NASA estimates they could stay alive for 25 days. Air would be the first to go.

Endeavour and four more astronauts would need to blast off on a rescue flight as soon as NASA determined Atlantis was too damaged to fly home.

On Friday, Endeavour was parked at its launch pad just a mile from where Atlantis is tentatively set to lift off on Oct. 10.
September 22nd, 2008, 9:12 am
Sanjuro

The image is cool, indeed. Sadly, we know that both aren't scheduled to launch at the same time...

On a similar note, I think it's sad that after all this time, NASA hasn't developed a better way to get stuff into space. A true Space Plane -- one that could be reused easily and quickly -- should be within our technical and engineering grasp. If only we had the money to put it together... :cry:
September 22nd, 2008, 9:19 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote: A true Space Plane -- one that could be reused easily and quickly -- should be within our technical and engineering grasp. If only we had the money to put it together... :cry:

Nonsense! We are the wealthiest country in the world! We've spent trillions on an invasion and in bank bailouts... surely we can throw a couple billion to that noble cause.. oh damn, I used the word "noble" didn't I?? :|
Sanjuro

I remember the time that NASA launched 2 Gemini spacecraft for a single mission, to test rendezvous capability. It was pretty cool to see the two Titan rockets and their gantries set up at the same time out there on the Cape. And after all that time and heartache, it only turned out to have been done for the political goal of intimidating the Soviets with our technology. :oops:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Then theres that movie where they shoot off at the same time to blow up asteroids....

Why can't our financial armagedden be an asteroid... it's so much cooler.
Liv

A passenger on an Air Canada flight from Nassau to Toronto captured a shuttle lauch from his window seat.

Cool.
December 22nd, 2009, 12:45 pm
A Person

Neat. Too bad there won't be but only a few more of these to watch. :?
December 26th, 2009, 10:38 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Nasa has slashed the asking price for its soon-to-be-redundant space shuttles from 42 million dollars (£25.8 million) to 28.8 million dollars (£17.7 million).

The shuttles are for sale once they stop flying, supposedly this autumn. cite

I've got to get me one of those.... Imagine dropping the kids off to school in that bad boy?
January 17th, 2010, 11:45 am
Liv

Return to Science