Prius Ego Trip

by
Published on November 8th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Rift: Sciences

I had a nice chart that I tried to post but I am a posting illiterate.

Click on upload Attachment tab, right below the box where you post stuff, and hit browse, and upload the photo, etc...

I know we've got a tutorial on this board somewhere, although I can't find it right now.
November 8th, 2007, 12:22 pm

Ok, does this work?
Attachments
5 gas.JPG
November 8th, 2007, 1:52 pm
MaxOverdrive

Thanks for the explanation. I do think it's misleading to say that "CO2 exhaust production goes up the more efficient an internal combustion engine runs" - this implies that less efficient engines are desirable!

An IC engine gains energy from two elements, Carbon and Hydrogen. At optimum efficiency these two elements are completely combusted into CO2 and H2O. If the engine is running rich, lower CO2 will be emitted from the engine because some of the carbon is being exhausted as CO and some as unburnt HC. Those products will be burnt in the catalytic converter as wasted CO2. So the net CO2 emissions for the engine-CAT system will be the same for the same fuel input. However since the engine is less efficient, more fuel will be used to do the same amount of work (mile-hours) and hence more net CO2 will be produced from a less efficient engine. Think of it this way - if the cat is working properly all carbon going into the engine will be turned into CO2, the more that is burnt in the engine and not in the cat, the further the car will go per gram of carbon. No matter whether the fuel is burnt in the engine or in the cat, ten litres of fuel burned over 100 km (23.5 mpg) equates to 238 grams of CO2 per km.

In Europe cars are already including the CO2 grams/100 km in their specifications. The EC has set up a monitoring program for new cars. That's because they have taken their Kyoto targets seriously. This chart shows the improvements in car efficiency (measures in grams CO2/100Km) for European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA), Japanese (JAMA) and Korean (KAMA) carmakers over the last few years
Clipboard01.jpg

http://www.transportenvironment.org/doc ... lation.pdf
November 8th, 2007, 3:17 pm
A Person

Yes, Yes. The light has come on. I believe we both have been saying the same thing however I have been speaking of a vehicle idling at a stand still as you have been speaking of a vehicle going down the road. I take your point. It was not my intention to be misleading just my error of thinking one dimensionally. I extend my apologies to everyone.

Thank you Liv for showing me how to post pictures.
November 8th, 2007, 4:38 pm
MaxOverdrive

No problem. The answer to cars idling is simple. Stop the engines, the technology is old news, but it doesn't seem to have made any impact over here.

That is one reason why hybrids achieve their best consumption improvements in city driving.
November 8th, 2007, 7:36 pm
A Person

This sounds oddly familar
November 8th, 2007, 8:52 pm
Liv

Follow Me
May the fetus you save be gay.
December 14th, 2009, 9:39 pm
Liv

Follow Me
The policy of my country is, to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits. --Thomas Jefferson to M. L'Hommande, 1787.
Private enterprise... manages so much better all the concerns to which it is equal. --Thomas Jefferson: 6th Ann. Message, 1806
December 15th, 2009, 11:28 am
thesumofyourfears

Sanjuro wrote:Well the Prius is a lot better looking than the other Hybrids (Sorry SFI), and if memory serves, a lot more roomy for the people in front.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so no offense taken. I like the look of the Prius. But I prefer my higher mileage. And my Insight suits me quite well for commuting and 2-person travel purposes as needed.
That said, I think they are very limited in what they can do design wise due to the necessary weight of the vehicle.

Not to mention the limitations brought about by the needs of mass production. 8)
December 17th, 2009, 1:01 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
That skit by Dunham might be funnier if the Prius wasn't completely silent on 'idle' (it doesn't idle) and makes virually no noise as it glides by.

The vehicle that rumbles 'homo homo homo homo homo homo" on idle is this

For people who like to wear leather but are scared of a real bike.

Chaps.jpg
Religion is regarded by the common people as true; by the wise as false, and by politicians as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca 4 BCE - 65CE
December 17th, 2009, 1:50 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:That skit by Dunham might be funnier if the Prius wasn't completely silent on 'idle' (it doesn't idle) and makes virually no noise as it glides by.

The vehicle that rumbles 'homo homo homo homo homo homo" on idle is this

For people who like to wear leather but are scared of a real bike.

Chaps.jpg

The video came to mind when I saw the posting...just adding a little humor, but since you mentioned it, a homo is not likely to ride a vehicle like that, but a homo is more likely to drive a "freaking prius". Thanks, Walter. :lol:
The policy of my country is, to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits. --Thomas Jefferson to M. L'Hommande, 1787.
Private enterprise... manages so much better all the concerns to which it is equal. --Thomas Jefferson: 6th Ann. Message, 1806
December 17th, 2009, 10:27 pm
thesumofyourfears

Religion is regarded by the common people as true; by the wise as false, and by politicians as useful." Lucius Annaeus Seneca 4 BCE - 65CE
December 18th, 2009, 3:43 pm
A Person

Return to Sciences