Chuch-going folks approve of torture
★  News & Politics ★  Travel ★  Food ★  Arts ★  Science ★  Sports ★  Q&A ★  Eco-Green ★  Religion ★  X ★  Life ★  Greensboro ★ 

It's 'dress as a disabled person' day!

by
Liv
Fill in the Rank
Published on Fri May 01, 2009 11:04 am
Beat: News & Politics

Timmay.jpg

Hey, at least their school thought of it. They still think stairs are simply challenges kids in wheelchairs must overcome around these parts.

The idea? A "disability day", planned for 29th May, in which children would come to school "dressed as a person with a disability".

Sounds brilliant, doesn't it? I'm picturing keen pupils getting hold of wheelchairs or white canes, over-sized hearing aids or dark glasses. Some of the really keen ones might even stick a home-made yellow harness on the family pooch and bring it to school for the day as a guide dog. And the kids will surely have hours of fun recreating those various wobbly disability movements and walks. VIA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These people need their heads examined. As a disabled person I find this whole thing highly offensive and unnecessary.

RebelSnake
Fill in the Rank

RebelSnake wrote:These people need their heads examined. As a disabled person I find this whole thing highly offensive and unnecessary.

I know that having to use a wheelchair is pretty serious business for a lot of folks. I keep thinking of the troubles my parents had as their bodies slowly became inoperative and they needed wheelchairs, walkers, O2 tanks, and so on. And then there are the things that my niece (blind from birth) has to deal with in everyday life.

Kids can learn about disabilities in ways other than this, I think. It's needed, for sure. But making it into some sort of play-acting event is not how I'd prefer to see it done.

SouthernFriedInfidel
Fill in the Rank

Return to News & Politics

Moderators: SouthernFriedInfidel, Sanjuro