·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Should Drive-Throughs be BANNED?

by Liv | Published on July 6th, 2010, 11:09 am | News
ban_drive_thrus.jpg

Amid complaints of obesity and lines of idled cars stretching into neighborhood streets, this blue-collar town is banning new drive-throughs in hopes of shedding its reputation as a haven for convenient, fatty foods.

It's an ironic development for a community that proudly claims to have opened California's first drive-through restaurant more than 60 years ago — a little joint named, appropriately enough, In-N-Out.

"We here in Baldwin Park have taken strides to create a healthy community, and allowing one more drive-through in is not going to meet that goal," said Baldwin Park city planner Salvador Lopez, who helped craft the ordinance that takes effect Fourth of July weekend. cite

You've got to admit the whole idea of not getting out of your car to purchase a 25-50 grams of fat meal seems a bit glutenous. I'm fully guilty of it.... but making it illegal might seem like the thing to do. I mean, after all, drive-thrus were invented for military personnel who were not allowed to patronize the local burger restaurants in their military attire. The loophole was the drive-thru. Now you've got oxygen tank wearing, ez-go scooter driving obese Americans like myself (okay neither of those apply yet) rolling up in their Suburbans for a double whopper happy meal. Yes... ban them.

Buncha facists.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 6th, 2010, 11:28 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

People don't need to be protected from their own decision-making. They need on;y to be reminded that every decision they make has a consequence... including future surgery for destroyed knees and hips, heart attacks, being forced to buy multiple airplane seats, etc.

Then watch as they adjust to those revolting realities over the years.
July 6th, 2010, 11:52 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Yeah, you cant regulate behaviour. And banning a drive through wont stop people from eating.

*edit.. and it seems the point of this ban was to curb (pun) blocked entrances to other businesses. Still though, its poor planning that is really to blame, not the drive thrus themselves.
July 6th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Sanjuro

Okay, I'll bite... shouldn't we if not for our own health, ban drive-thrus for the smog and the cars running- to save the earth?
July 6th, 2010, 12:16 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Okay, I'll bite... shouldn't we if not for our own health, ban drive-thrus for the smog and the cars running- to save the earth?

No, a better idea would be to offer discounts to people that come into the restaurant vs. going through the drive-through. To ban something that is a legitimate convenience to many people is counter productive. Although now that I think about it, inflating the price of the drive through would work against the very people who need it the most too, so thats not very good either. Bottom line, the city planners should have not allowed a drive through to open in a spot that was not well suited for it, or forced them to zone a larger lot.
July 6th, 2010, 12:26 pm
Sanjuro

Liv wrote:Okay, I'll bite... shouldn't we if not for our own health, ban drive-thrus for the smog and the cars running- to save the earth?

Is there any liberty that you don't want to put rediculous restrictions on Liv? Besides, this is simply treating the symptom instead of the cause.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
July 6th, 2010, 12:37 pm
BecauseHeLives

I completely disagree.

We as a country enable our obesity, our dependence on oil. Look at what's happening in the Gulf or in our wars. Americans need to slow down, lose the cars, and if they want their fast-food they can walk up to a window (like Cook-Out) and have a similar convenience. Anything else is just silly. By your mentality we should have a business that sells crack and crack pipes and we should let people determine after several years of addiction if it's healthy or not to have a McCrackonalds in our neighborhood.

There's overwhelming science to say the ratio of fast-foods to grocery stores can effect child-hood obesity and then adults.

We're not taking away an individuals option to purchase fast-food, though I could probably get behind that too... we're taking something that fundamentally just doesn't benefit anyone. You can't even argue the quickness of it as it's often quicker to go inside. The only argument that can be made is for the handicap.
July 6th, 2010, 12:43 pm
Liv

BecauseHeLives wrote:

Is there any liberty that you don't want to put rediculous restrictions on Liv? Besides, this is simply treating the symptom instead of the cause.

Government serves to protect it's people when it's people can't protect themselves.
July 6th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Liv

BecauseHeLives wrote:

You got that right. :clap:
July 6th, 2010, 12:54 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

BecauseHeLives wrote:

Well, looks like we finally see eye-to-eye again. Its like Leap Year or something! :D
July 6th, 2010, 12:55 pm
Sanjuro

Liv wrote:Government serves to protect it's people when it's people can't protect themselves.

There's a world of difference between protecting someone from something they can't help and protecting them from their own self-destructive decisions.

I think that kids should be protected from predatory smoking ads, because they aren't able at their age to decide in a mature manner about smoking. And I agree that the childhood obesity issue is something that requires government action, though WHAT that action ought to be requires some debate and study.

But if an adult is determined to slowly destroy him or herself via overeating, there's nothing really that can be done, by government or anyone else. I know this from bitter personal experience.
July 6th, 2010, 12:59 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Liv wrote: By your mentality we should have a business that sells crack and crack pipes and we should let people determine after several years of addiction if it's healthy or not to have a McCrackonalds in our neighborhood.

Well, there are some rather interesting arguments to be made for legalizing recreational drugs. And we might have fun revisiting them some time. But this idea of telling a business how it can serve its customers from its legal business seems rather off-base to me. What problem would it really solve? That's my first question. I really don't think it would affect the rise in American obesity.
July 6th, 2010, 1:05 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Liv wrote:I completely disagree.

We as a country enable our obesity, our dependence on oil. Look at what's happening in the Gulf or in our wars. Americans need to slow down, lose the cars, and if they want their fast-food they can walk up to a window (like Cook-Out) and have a similar convenience. Anything else is just silly. By your mentality we should have a business that sells crack and crack pipes and we should let people determine after several years of addiction if it's healthy or not to have a McCrackonalds in our neighborhood.

Its very easy to say we should lose the cars and lose the oil dependency, but where will those jobs go in an already over-saturated job market? Either way, certainly losing drive-throughs wont even put a ding in it. I find your analogy illogical.

Liv wrote:There's overwhelming science to say the ratio of fast-foods to grocery stores can effect child-hood obesity and then adults.

Source?

Liv wrote:We're not taking away an individuals option to purchase fast-food, though I could probably get behind that too...

But you are taking away the business' right to compete on what it was founded on. And your premise is not sound as the whole business model is built around the food and access to it being fast and there is nothing wrong with it. Like anything else in life we can purchase for ourselves, "all things in moderation".

Liv wrote: we're taking something that fundamentally just doesn't benefit anyone.

Neither do the donuts you just did a review on.

Liv wrote:You can't even argue the quickness of it as it's often quicker to go inside. The only argument that can be made is for the handicap.

Thats true, but one can just as easily say that one would often not know either way.. besides, its a good time for me to catch up on txt msgs. ;)
July 6th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
Liv wrote:I completely disagree.

Its very easy to say we should lose the cars and lose the oil dependency, but where will those jobs go in an already over-saturated job market? Either way, certainly losing drive-throughs wont even put a ding in it. I find your analogy illogical.

People have to eat, they just may choose to eat in a healthier manner, or at least not through a window. Jobs wouldn't be lost, at worse they'd move into healthier, better paying jobs such as grocers. Losing drive-throughs can enable change, it won't change it all together. That doesn't mean we shouldn't adopt it.

Liv wrote:There's overwhelming science to say the ratio of fast-foods to grocery stores can effect child-hood obesity and then adults.

Source?
There's many sources... Just google...
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare ... tion/14769
Liv wrote:We're not taking away an individuals option to purchase fast-food, though I could probably get behind that too...

But you are taking away the business' right to compete on what it was founded on. And your premise is not sound as the whole business model is built around the food and access to it being fast and there is nothing wrong with it. Like anything else in life we can purchase for ourselves, "all things in moderation".

When your grandfather is dying of cancer, do you go buy him cigarettes when he can no longer leave the house? American's have very little capability for moderation, and I doubt simply adding 10 feet of pavement to get to the food (and shutting off the engine) is going to compromise one's God given right to a double cheeseburger. Drive-thrus say we're greedy country unwilling to even give into a little bit of compromise so the entire world can be a better place. Even if there isn't direct correlation or larger effect (which I highly doubt) it's a chance to make a mental change and say we're not the fat-lazy Americans the rest of the world thinks. We don't take natural resources, or even food in general for granted. That we respect our existence.

Liv wrote: we're taking something that fundamentally just doesn't benefit anyone.

Neither do the donuts you just did a review on.

Low blow... I admit I'm a hypocrite on this subject. I have no will-power. I'm typical, I'm average. I'm for every sense of the word, one who would benefit from this legislation. I've also seen how living without fast-food has caused me to eat more healthy. Not having a Krispy Kreme right down the road meant I didn't have access to the doughnuts immediately. I purchased them not at a drive-thru, but at a grocery store where I also purchased healthy food to make a meal. Let me ask you this... when you went to Krispy Kreme to try them, did you buy salad? I did. Get my point.

Liv wrote:You can't even argue the quickness of it as it's often quicker to go inside. The only argument that can be made is for the handicap.

Thats true, but one can just as easily say that one would often not know either way.. besides, its a good time for me to catch up on txt msgs. ;)

Just remember as you sit in that A/C climate controlled Scion with your crackberry and your gooey cheese hamburger, someone is sleeping in piss stained clothes feeding their last bit of dumpster obtained stale cookies to their pet dog. Sacrifice... sometimes it's worth it.
July 6th, 2010, 1:52 pm
Liv

When your grandfather is dying of cancer, do you go buy him cigarettes when he can no longer leave the house?

Yes. You do. It is called compassion. Denying smokes to someone on their deathbed is just simply cruel and is depleted of compassion.
July 6th, 2010, 1:56 pm
BecauseHeLives

It was a tad bit more metaphorical than that.... but... do you know how many alcoholics would be alive if family members didn't enable their drinking?
July 6th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Liv

Ironically the kids and I went to the library today for a presentation. As a guest for the Summer Reading Program they had Ronald McDonald. It was a very cute show, sweet and entertaining. It was a comedic/magic show with a very strong message about making smart choices. The theme was basically about expanding your mind through reading and making sure you balance your time with activity. Several times he mentioned playing outside and being active for at least an hour a day. I paid very close attention and he never once commented on healthy eating. hmmm? I kept waiting for it aware of all the backlash lately about this company marketing to kids. He never came right out and talked about their products though prior to the show the librarians did to get the kids stirred up. But it was like, eat my fatty kids meal and you'll still be cool as long as you get off your chubby bums for an hour sometime throughout the day. Overall it was a fun program with a good message but i feel there could have been a more proactive message about healthy eating included. At least they didn't hand out cheeseburgers in the end like when I was little.
"Are you disrespecting me and my family?"
July 6th, 2010, 2:16 pm
shannon
Try My Cupcakes.

Shan brings up a good point here. Perhaps, in order to encourage a more healthy lifestyle, that we should ban the internet so that people will need to go to the library to get their information. I'll bet the internet has created way more chubby people than drive-thrus ever did. Liv? :P
July 6th, 2010, 2:51 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:Shan brings up a good point here. Perhaps, in order to encourage a more healthy lifestyle, that we should ban the internet so that people will need to go to the library to get their information. I'll bet the internet has created way more chubby people than drive-thrus ever did. Liv? :P

I doubt that highly. In fact, I think the Internet has been a benefit to million's of health. Bringing information to third world countries, enabling communication and relationships to facilitate external relationships outside of the Internet. Libraries are buildings with books, and is not equivalent to the Internet.

If someone can actually suggest a benefit of the drive-thu other than for the disabled I'd be glad to hear it. Everyone seems to want to legitimize something that is inherently bad for us by justifying it with my lifestyle or some random unwritten American freedom.
July 6th, 2010, 3:30 pm
Liv

I think its obvious for many reasons. Running late for work it provides a quick means to a sandwich, the mother lugging a car full of kids can get quick food shuttling between soccer and ballet, when driving to an unknown town, one doesnt have to get out of their car, you could go on and on.
July 6th, 2010, 3:40 pm
Sanjuro

shannon wrote:Ironically the kids and I went to the library today for a presentation. As a guest for the Summer Reading Program they had Ronald McDonald. It was a very cute show, sweet and entertaining. It was a comedic/magic show with a very strong message about making smart choices. The theme was basically about expanding your mind through reading and making sure you balance your time with activity. Several times he mentioned playing outside and being active for at least an hour a day. I paid very close attention and he never once commented on healthy eating. hmmm? I kept waiting for it aware of all the backlash lately about this company marketing to kids. He never came right out and talked about their products though prior to the show the librarians did to get the kids stirred up. But it was like, eat my fatty kids meal and you'll still be cool as long as you get off your chubby bums for an hour sometime throughout the day. Overall it was a fun program with a good message but i feel there could have been a more proactive message about healthy eating included. At least they didn't hand out cheeseburgers in the end like when I was little.

I actually do believe marketing fast food to kids is wrong. Point well taken about nothing being said about healthy food choices. Still though, its a moderation thing and parents should know about limitations and moderation. Personally, I hate to see kids eat lots of candy and soft drinks (I like to see no more than one soft drink a day and candy only on special occasions), but it doesn't mean I would hold everyone else to that standard for their own kids.
July 6th, 2010, 3:58 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:I think its obvious for many reasons. Running late for work it provides a quick means to a sandwich, the mother lugging a car full of kids can get quick food shuttling between soccer and ballet, when driving to an unknown town, one doesnt have to get out of their car, you could go on and on.

Sanjuro wrote:... its a moderation thing and parents should know about limitations and moderation.

Penn and Teller episode of "(expletive)!"on fast food just a couple weeks ago!

Banning because some folks can't self-moderate isn't the answer. And like one of the families in the (expletive) episode, I know families who manage to eat fast food without worrying about weight gain because they only order the healthier selections, or limit their portions, or are just highly active and burn off all the calories. Of course, cholesterol is a different story...
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
July 6th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Sanjuro wrote:I think its obvious for many reasons. Running late for work it provides a quick means to a sandwich, the mother lugging a car full of kids can get quick food shuttling between soccer and ballet, when driving to an unknown town, one doesnt have to get out of their car, you could go on and on.

How is this behavior better for these individuals than parking the car and going in or going to a window? My kids get out of the car quicker than I do. Becoming a social misfit and isolating one's self in my opinion isn't a behavioral pattern I think is positive. Simple interactions, human contact... perhaps even taking time to smell the roses (burgers) is what keeps us from road rages, social disorders, and complaining our dinner isn't ready in 10 minutes.
July 6th, 2010, 4:36 pm
Liv

Sanjuro wrote: Personally, I hate to see kids eat lots of candy and soft drinks (I like to see no more than one soft drink a day and candy only on special occasions), but it doesn't mean I would hold everyone else to that standard for their own kids.

A soda a day for a child?????????????????????????????????? My GOD... my children would destroy civilization if they drank that much.
July 6th, 2010, 4:39 pm
Liv

Return to News